Euro 96 reprise

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Euro 96 reprise

by Snowflake Royal » 25 May 2020 12:22

Anyone watched any if the Euro 96 repeats on ITV Hub?

Have to say my memory of the tournament has been somewhat coloured by nostalgia and time.

I remember the Scotland game and Gazza very fondly, but it really was a shocking performance for 80% of the game, with almost literally Gazza's only positive contribution being THAT goal. Wtf was that formation!? Scotland weren't bad really... toothless obviously.

The 2nd half against the Swiss was a shambles too.

Was playing cricket during the Spain game so will get a first watch of that maybe today. But knowing it went to pens it seems like we managed to get to the semis off one good performance against the Dutch. Not at all the heroic height of English football during my lifetime its seemed since.

I'd forgotten Mick Hailov played in the tournament whilst with us.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Euro 96 reprise

by Ascotexgunner » 07 Jun 2020 14:36

It was an awful tournament, ticket allocations were a shambles as they were going to sponsors not the fans. Lots of spare seats for some games. The games were awful, England and Venables in particular were overrated and rode their luck on so many times. Spain had every right to be agrieved about that goal not standing which would have put England out. Scotland were unlucky.

Now Euro 2016.....that was a tournament.......

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 07 Jun 2020 14:39

Snowflake Royal Anyone watched any if the Euro 96 repeats on ITV Hub?

Have to say my memory of the tournament has been somewhat coloured by nostalgia and time.

I remember the Scotland game and Gazza very fondly, but it really was a shocking performance for 80% of the game, with almost literally Gazza's only positive contribution being THAT goal. Wtf was that formation!? Scotland weren't bad really... toothless obviously.

The 2nd half against the Swiss was a shambles too.

Was playing cricket during the Spain game so will get a first watch of that maybe today. But knowing it went to pens it seems like we managed to get to the semis off one good performance against the Dutch. Not at all the heroic height of English football during my lifetime its seemed since.

I'd forgotten Mick Hailov played in the tournament whilst with us.

The Dutch were in anarchy. David's had said their were camps in that team that hated each other. 2 Dutch players had gone home and no-one wanted to be there. It wasn't suprising the Dutch were poor.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Jun 2020 15:59

Ascotexgunner It was an awful tournament, ticket allocations were a shambles as they were going to sponsors not the fans. Lots of spare seats for some games. The games were awful, England and Venables in particular were overrated and rode their luck on so many times. Spain had every right to be agrieved about that goal not standing which would have put England out. Scotland were unlucky.

Agreed. England turned in one class performance (v Netherlands) one solid performance (v Germany) and were poor to indifferent against everyone else.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Jun 2020 19:57

Sutekh
Ascotexgunner It was an awful tournament, ticket allocations were a shambles as they were going to sponsors not the fans. Lots of spare seats for some games. The games were awful, England and Venables in particular were overrated and rode their luck on so many times. Spain had every right to be agrieved about that goal not standing which would have put England out. Scotland were unlucky.

Agreed. England turned in one class performance (v Netherlands) one solid performance (v Germany) and were poor to indifferent against everyone else.

The downside of seeing more of my brother (via zoom) thanks to lockdown, is that I have to put up with his tedious mate who bangs on about how we were far better than the Germans in 90 and 96 and were vastly better than the Dutch in 96, with the 4-1 scoreline flattering them massively. If I have to hear his description of Gazza not quite scoring for a 5th week in a row I might have to go on a killing spree.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1