Qatar Hero - The World Cup 2022 thread

2186 posts
Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Qatar Hero - The World Cup 2022 thread

by Loafer » 06 Dec 2022 07:25

Royal Rother Brazil are a very talented but cocky bunch - they’ll now think they can do what they did for 30 mins against SK to everyone.

That sort of believe-the-hype cockiness will be their undoing.

ALL celebrations are shite - just shake hands and run back to the centre circle like real men.

Bunch of dancing pussies.

:lol:

Who spanked in your granola?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 06 Dec 2022 07:32

Royal Rother Brazil are a very talented but cocky bunch - they’ll now think they can do what they did for 30 mins against SK to everyone.

ALL celebrations are shite - just shake hands and run back to the centre circle like real men.

My God, you lot are seriously miserable.
Who cares if they celebrate however they like ?

The only line I would draw is when it’s done directly in the face of an opponent. Otherwise, crack on.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 06 Dec 2022 08:28

when do the Weverton to Everton rumours start?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 06 Dec 2022 09:47

Imagine working for years and years to prepare your team for a World Cup knockout game, just to go 3-0 down in 30 minutes and then looking over to see your managerial counterpart nibbling seed with the lads

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 06 Dec 2022 10:07

Are they any more cocky than other teams, including us?
Do our players not run over and kiss and cuddle the goalscorer every time and jump on him?
Didn't Beckham used to sprint to the camera whenever we scored to make sure he was in every photo?

I don't disagree on the general point of celebrating as they all behave like kids but I don't think that Brazil are any different and don't your beloved Arsenal lot do the same thing?

As Franchise said, enjoy it as it only comes round every 4 years.

tulip
Hob Nob Addict

by tulip » 06 Dec 2022 10:21

Sadly I'm losing interest in this WC. Not sure why? Didn't watch the Brazil match last night at all and only paid half attention to the earlier game.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 06 Dec 2022 10:31

South Coast Royal Are they any more cocky than other teams, including us?
Do our players not run over and kiss and cuddle the goalscorer every time and jump on him?
Didn't Beckham used to sprint to the camera whenever we scored to make sure he was in every photo?

I don't disagree on the general point of celebrating as they all behave like kids but I don't think that Brazil are any different and don't your beloved Arsenal lot do the same thing?

Who doesn't love a wild spur of the moment full of emotion celebration. Thats not what we had last night. A dance routine like a low rent mid-90s girl band is not a caught up in the moment thing.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 06 Dec 2022 10:39

Tbh I didn't even realise people had a problem with it until I went on the internet this morning

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 06 Dec 2022 10:54

It's their culture. Don't like it? Then don't watch the Brazil games. They aren't going to stop for you.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 06 Dec 2022 11:27

genome Tbh I didn't even realise people had a problem with it until I went on the internet this morning

People too busy listening to Roy Keane's antiquated views and jumping on the bandwagon.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 06 Dec 2022 11:40

genome Tbh I didn't even realise people had a problem with it until I went on the internet this morning

It's only a few of our middle-aged posters-the old and the young amongst us are quite happy with it.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 06 Dec 2022 11:42

South Coast Royal

Clearly (probably) I exaggerated my irritation for effect, but any team (incl England) who perform rehearsed routines after scoring a goal deserve to be chucked out of the tournament. (There I go again. :D ).

The cockiness I referred to was not really re the celebrations, just how they caught up in their own (and tbf, most of the world media's) hype, believing the Brazil "thing" makes them special. It doesn't - only performances do that, and theirs have been disappointing for the last 20 years.

Other countries don't have that hype in the same way - sure, English media will always build our chances up at some point, but I really don't think the players believe any of that these days - in part because we've won nothing for 50+ years, and also because of Southgate's very good man management which ensures everyone's feet are kept firmly on the ground.

jd82
Hob Nob Addict

by jd82 » 06 Dec 2022 11:45

I don't think anyone has a problem with dancing as a celebration.. it's the overly contrived nature of it that I didn't like..

I'm all in on Bebeto et al doing the baby swing dance, Roger Miller doing the hips, even Crouch-bot, but you can miss me with 4 players deciding to do dance number 3 well after the actual goal celebrations have died down.

I'm certainly not Roy Keane levels of hatred for it, but give me a Tardelli style celebration over that shite any day.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 06 Dec 2022 11:48

YorkshireRoyal99

People too busy listening to Roy Keane's antiquated views and jumping on the bandwagon.

I only watched up to 3-0 (switched over to the cricket highlights to watch an achievement that warranted some PROPER manly celebrations) so didn't see Roy Keane's comments.

Agreeing with him doesn't come naturally to me so I may have to revise my opinion now.

What did he say?

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 06 Dec 2022 11:52

Royal Rother
South Coast Royal

Clearly (probably) I exaggerated my irritation for effect, but any team (incl England) who perform rehearsed routines after scoring a goal deserved to be chucked out of the tournament. (There I go again. :D ).

The cockiness I referred to was not really re the celebrations, just how they caught up in their own (and tbf, most of the world's media's) hype, believing the Brazil "thing" makes them special. It doesn't - only performances do that, and theirs have been disappointing for the last 20 years.

Other countries don't have that hype in the same way - sure, English media will always build our chances up at some point, but I really don't think the players believe any of that these days - in part because we've won nothing for 50+ years, and also because of Southgate's very good man management which ensures everyone's feet are kept firmly on the ground.

Cockiness may just be in the eye of the beholder.
I don't know where you have been all these years but our media goes way over the top when it comes to sporting events and there is general shock when we don't win everything whether that be football, cricket or rugby .

BTW that Richarlison goal yesterday-could you see any other team doing that in what is quite a big game and not just a friendly?.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 06 Dec 2022 11:55

jd82 I don't think anyone has a problem with dancing as a celebration.. it's the overly contrived nature of it that I didn't like..

I'm all in on Bebeto et al doing the baby swing dance, Roger Miller doing the hips, even Crouch-bot, but you can miss me with 4 players deciding to do dance number 3 well after the actual goal celebrations have died down.

I'm certainly not Roy Keane levels of hatred for it, but give me a Tardelli style celebration over that shite any day.

I'll add you to the dull and boring middle-agers on here. :wink:

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 06 Dec 2022 12:08

Royal Rother The cockiness I referred to was not really re the celebrations, just how they caught up in their own (and tbf, most of the world media's) hype, believing the Brazil "thing" makes them special. It doesn't - only performances do that, and theirs have been disappointing for the last 20 years.

So you should be fine with their celebrations last night then, after a performance where they utterly destroyed South Korea in 30 minutes?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 06 Dec 2022 12:34

Royal Rother
YorkshireRoyal99

I only watched up to 3-0 (switched over to the cricket highlights to watch an achievement that warranted some PROPER manly celebrations) so didn't see Roy Keane's comments.

Agreeing with him doesn't come naturally to me so I may have to revise my opinion now.

What did he say?

Echoing similar views about the celebrations being over the top and disrespectful.

I don't think it is personally, providing you aren't deliberately not winding the opposition up (or break some other rule), you can celebrate how you like. Celebrating on their own bench or in the corner, for me, is fine.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 06 Dec 2022 12:51

jd82 I don't think anyone has a problem with dancing as a celebration.. it's the overly contrived nature of it that I didn't like..

Yep this.

Ironically enough, I loved the unbridled exuberance of Aboubakar's celebration against Brazil. Absolutely no qualms about already being on a yellow card. Beautiful.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 06 Dec 2022 12:52

I am also a fully fledged member of the spontaneity > choreographed dance routine club.

2186 posts