Qatar Hero - The World Cup 2022 thread

2186 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Qatar Hero - The World Cup 2022 thread

by Sutekh » 06 Dec 2022 13:38

jd82 I'm certainly not Roy Keane levels of hatred for it, but give me a Tardelli style celebration over that shite any day.

A proper World Cup goal celebration

Couldn’t care less what teams do to celebrate a goal but if you did want to stop any over the top choreography, simply have the opponents get back into position and have a ref with the guts to restart the game while they’re all fannying about.

Watch reruns of the big match and it’s amazing that the celebrations in the 70s largely amounted to the scorer simply raising an arm and that was it.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 06 Dec 2022 13:59

I’m all for the minimal goal celebration. Maybe just raise an eyebrow
It’s the British way

If we want something befitting our culture, I suggest the players queue up to shake hands with the goals scorer

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 06 Dec 2022 14:00

Royal Rother
South Coast Royal
Royal Rother Brazil are a very talented but cocky bunch - they’ll now think they can do what they did for 30 mins against SK to everyone.

That sort of believe-the-hype cockiness will be their undoing.

ALL celebrations are shite - just shake hands and run back to the centre circle like real men.

Bunch of dancing pussies.

Are they any more cocky than other teams, including us?
Do our players not run over and kiss and cuddle the goalscorer every time and jump on him?
Didn't Beckham used to sprint to the camera whenever we scored to make sure he was in every photo?

I don't disagree on the general point of celebrating as they all behave like kids but I don't think that Brazil are any different and don't your beloved Arsenal lot do the same thing?

As Franchise said, enjoy it as it only comes round every 4 years.

Clearly (probably) I exaggerated my irritation for effect, but any team (incl England) who perform rehearsed routines after scoring a goal deserve to be chucked out of the tournament. (There I go again. :D ).

The cockiness I referred to was not really re the celebrations, just how they caught up in their own (and tbf, most of the world media's) hype, believing the Brazil "thing" makes them special. It doesn't - only performances do that, and theirs have been disappointing for the last 20 years.

Other countries don't have that hype in the same way - sure, English media will always build our chances up at some point, but I really don't think the players believe any of that these days - in part because we've won nothing for 50+ years, and also because of Southgate's very good man management which ensures everyone's feet are kept firmly on the ground.

So England are out already because of the rehearsed Grealish celebration in the very first game - or is that one OK because a young lad asked him to do it ? :roll:

jd82
Hob Nob Addict

by jd82 » 06 Dec 2022 14:01

Sutekh
jd82 I'm certainly not Roy Keane levels of hatred for it, but give me a Tardelli style celebration over that shite any day.

Couldn’t care less what teams do to celebrate a goal but if you did want to stop any over the top choreography, simply have the opponents get back into position and have a ref with the guts to restart the game while they’re all fannying about.

IIRC refs can’t do that, game can only be restarted once both teams are in their respective halves. They can only book players for excessive celebrations/time wasting.

jd82
Hob Nob Addict

by jd82 » 06 Dec 2022 14:02

Franchise FC
Royal Rother
South Coast Royal
Are they any more cocky than other teams, including us?
Do our players not run over and kiss and cuddle the goalscorer every time and jump on him?
Didn't Beckham used to sprint to the camera whenever we scored to make sure he was in every photo?

I don't disagree on the general point of celebrating as they all behave like kids but I don't think that Brazil are any different and don't your beloved Arsenal lot do the same thing?

As Franchise said, enjoy it as it only comes round every 4 years.

Clearly (probably) I exaggerated my irritation for effect, but any team (incl England) who perform rehearsed routines after scoring a goal deserve to be chucked out of the tournament. (There I go again. :D ).

The cockiness I referred to was not really re the celebrations, just how they caught up in their own (and tbf, most of the world media's) hype, believing the Brazil "thing" makes them special. It doesn't - only performances do that, and theirs have been disappointing for the last 20 years.

Other countries don't have that hype in the same way - sure, English media will always build our chances up at some point, but I really don't think the players believe any of that these days - in part because we've won nothing for 50+ years, and also because of Southgate's very good man management which ensures everyone's feet are kept firmly on the ground.

So England are out already because of the rehearsed Grealish celebration in the very first game - or is that one OK because a young lad asked him to do it ? :roll:

Jesus wept.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Dec 2022 14:03

bcubed I’m all for the minimal goal celebration. Maybe just raise an eyebrow
It’s the British way

If we want something befitting our culture, I suggest the players queue up to shake hands with the goals scorer

Actually would love to see that happen as sort of anti-celebration. Would expect players to also audibly say “jolly well played sir” and “I say that was rather good” etc. while shaking the scorers hand.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Dec 2022 14:07

jd82
Sutekh

IIRC refs can’t do that, game can only be restarted once both teams are in their respective halves. They can only book players for excessive celebrations/time wasting.

So in that case what exactly were those celebrations if not excessive time wasting (certainly by the time a second routine starts up anyway).
Last edited by Sutekh on 06 Dec 2022 14:07, edited 1 time in total.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 06 Dec 2022 14:07

jd82
Franchise FC
Royal Rother

Jesus wept.

No VAR, Herod was a rubbish referee and Barabbas dived - no wonder he wept

jd82
Hob Nob Addict

by jd82 » 06 Dec 2022 14:09

Sutekh
jd82
Sutekh

So in that case what exactly were those celebrations if not excessive time wasting (certainly by the time a second routine starts up anyway).

I agree with you, just pointing out your solution isn’t possible.

It’s the dance celebration being a “second phase” celebration that gets my goat more that anything.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Dec 2022 14:25

Hoping that the longer the Swiss can frustrate the Portuguese the sooner that the Whine-ometer will start escalating into overdrive.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 06 Dec 2022 15:05

Spain's kit just isn't right

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 06 Dec 2022 15:14

Watching Brazil is painful.....not for the football, but the over the top adulation from the commentators; last night, a South Korean knocked a 50 yard crossfield ball to his winger, in space, who took it down beautifully; no comment whatsoever from McCoist.

5 mins later, a similar ball from a Brazilian had McCoist in raptures and verbally ejaculating into the microphone.

:roll:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 06 Dec 2022 15:50

Mr Angry Watching Brazil is painful.....not for the football, but the over the top adulation from the commentators; last night, a South Korean knocked a 50 yard crossfield ball to his winger, in space, who took it down beautifully; no comment whatsoever from McCoist.

5 mins later, a similar ball from a Brazilian had McCoist in raptures and verbally ejaculating into the microphone.

Absolutely spot fcuking on. It's not just McCoist, it's the whole bloody lot of them.

The "smaller" footballing nations have been playing some great football (even last night, some of SK's pacey approach play and one touch passing was excellent) - the bits they all lack compared to the usual contenders is someone who can deliver a killer through ball and a clinical finisher.

If the commentators want to wax lyrical and highlight the differences between the levels of teams, focus on those 2 areas, not the 50 yard crossfield balls and 1st touch (which most teams can do with aplomb).

The bullshit sycophancy winds me up, and then they cackle delightedly about their poxy dance routines.... they can just fcuk right off afaic.

And don't get me started on boxing ring walks! VVankers.
Last edited by Royal Rother on 06 Dec 2022 15:53, edited 3 times in total.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 06 Dec 2022 15:50

Mr Angry Watching Brazil is painful.....not for the football, but the over the top adulation from the commentators; last night, a South Korean knocked a 50 yard crossfield ball to his winger, in space, who took it down beautifully; no comment whatsoever from McCoist.

That annoys me way more than a few dances

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 06 Dec 2022 15:52

They were gushing over Brazil, and they were very good, but South Korea handed them the keys to the stadium for the first half

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 06 Dec 2022 15:57

Silver Fox Spain's kit just isn't right

Yep, why are they wearing a Man City knock off kit? In my mind their away kit should be white.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 06 Dec 2022 16:01

Sutekh
It’s the British way

Actually would love to see that happen as sort of anti-celebration. Would expect players to also audibly say “jolly well played sir” and “I say that was rather good” etc. while shaking the scorers hand.

And no one could complain because it’s our culture!

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 06 Dec 2022 16:02

6ft Kerplunk
Silver Fox Spain's kit just isn't right

Yep, why are they wearing a Man City knock off kit? In my mind their away kit should be white.

It’s all that Rodri brought with him

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 06 Dec 2022 16:12

Sutekh
It’s the British way

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 06 Dec 2022 16:26

Wish there was a choreographed goal celebration in this game

2186 posts