Will you be watching the World Cup?

16 posts   •   Page 1 of 1

Will you watch?

Yes
73%
No
20%
Ian Royal (He said no he will not watch a minute of it)
7%

Total votes: 15
Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Will you be watching the World Cup?

by Loafer » 02 Nov 2022 17:12

Yes or no, and why?

YES = It is THE PINNACLE of the beautiful game, held once every 4 years and is the worlds premier sporting competition, and the 1st since my Son was born

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Will you be watching the World Cup?

by Hendo » 02 Nov 2022 17:15

Yes, what else is on?

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 03 Nov 2022 07:29

Yes, maybe it would be a no if that would make any difference to anything but it won't so roll on Qatar v Ecuador

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 03 Nov 2022 08:53

Very much yes. love the world cup! (though I expect this one to feel a bit rubbish compared to others)

fartdad
Hob Nob Regular

by fartdad » 03 Nov 2022 14:20

No

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 09 Nov 2022 16:17

As they'll be plenty of group stage matches on during the working day of course I'm going to be watching most of them.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 10 Nov 2022 12:09

I won't make a point of watching it, but if there's football on the telly I certainly won't be avoiding it.

So it's not "appointment television" - but any football, even morally reprehensible football, is better than a lot of the other dross on TV.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 13 Nov 2022 08:30

Winston Biscuit Very much yes. love the world cup! (though I expect this one to feel a bit rubbish compared to others)

Why? Personally think it's going to be brilliant. All teams in one city.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 13 Nov 2022 08:30

Dirk Gently I won't make a point of watching it, but if there's football on the telly I certainly won't be avoiding it.

So it's not "appointment television" - but any football, even morally reprehensible football, is better than a lot of the other dross on TV.

Whys it morally reprehensible?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Nov 2022 15:15

Jagermesiter1871
Dirk Gently I won't make a point of watching it, but if there's football on the telly I certainly won't be avoiding it.

Amongst other things, perhaps it’s something to do with the corruption that took the tournament there, or the number of deaths of people working on building huge super stadia that will likely be white elephants after the event, or the disgusting low pay those workers received, or the general restrictive and non-inclusive society that Qatar is, or the crazy idea that playing football in a desert was ever going to be a thing, or the ridiculously stupid expense of getting food and accommodation if you do try to go. But hey don’t worry FIFA is making sure football is for everyone.

Hour long documentary on the corruption surrounding Qatar getting it below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ8ZikLMoMk

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 13 Nov 2022 15:52

fartdad No

Yes.you will.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 13 Nov 2022 21:25

Sutekh
Jagermesiter1871

Amongst other things, perhaps it’s something to do with the corruption that took the tournament there, or the number of deaths of people working on building huge super stadia that will likely be white elephants after the event, or the disgusting low pay those workers received, or the general restrictive and non-inclusive society that Qatar is, or the crazy idea that playing football in a desert was ever going to be a thing, or the ridiculously stupid expense of getting food and accommodation if you do try to go. But hey don’t worry FIFA is making sure football is for everyone.

Hour long documentary on the corruption surrounding Qatar getting it below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ8ZikLMoMk

Haven't the last 3 tournaments been much of the same though? Why draw the line now. At least the Qatari public wants to host it, unlike the Brazilians.

Regarding food and accommodation, yes it's dear but not ridiculous considering Qatar is generally a fairly dear country.

Dave the rave

by Dave the rave » 16 Nov 2022 15:32

If we work on the premise that FIFA has been corrupt for decades and, therefore, that all decisions on host countries have been made with a certain level of corruption involved, together with the fact that whichever country hosts it the guest fans have to abide by that country's laws, alongside the truism that no country has perfect/fair working conditions or pay rates for all its workers, then surely the only question is; why not Qatar?

#nodevilsadvocato

fartdad
Hob Nob Regular

by fartdad » 17 Nov 2022 18:50

Loafer
fartdad No

Yes.you will.

You underestimate the ability of someone who has watched 20 minutes of reading soccer in the last 14 years in a country that doesn’t really care about soccer. :wink:

tulip
Hob Nob Addict

by tulip » 18 Nov 2022 09:35

Yes I'll be watching it but it seems very low key this year. Usually the streets would be decked out in Orange flags, the shops footballified, this time very little enthusiasm. Some bars are refusing to show matches.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 18 Nov 2022 09:37

tulip Yes I'll be watching it but it seems very low key this year. Usually the streets would be decked out in Orange flags, the shops footballified, this time very little enthusiasm. Some bars are refusing to show matches.

I guess some of it will be down to it being in winter and people just not being out and about as much, but I have read some reports of a lot of Dutch fans shunning the World Cup.

16 posts   •   Page 1 of 1