Craig Bellamy

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Craig Bellamy

by Royalwaster » 18 Aug 2010 09:06

Wouldn't we all laff though if he gets injured in his first match and it out for a few months with Cardiff picking up the bill .... :D

Truth is - looking at our experience and how quickly the Prem league millions evaporated, even if they make it to the holy land this year I can't really see how they're going to survive financially unless they have some big sugar daddy who is quite happy to make a loss (a la ManCity).

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 18 Aug 2010 09:36

6ft Kerplunk If football want to have their ridiculous football debts get paid in full rule the least they can do to is to prevent clubs from signing any new players whether on loan or on permanent deals until those debts have been paid in full. Its a nonsense that Cardiff faced a winding up order but have started spending money again before paying up existing debts.

^this * 10000000

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 18 Aug 2010 09:53

Hoop Blah I bet every penny you own that we couldn't have afforded those premiership players without their parent club picking up a fairly decent percentage of their wages.

The numbers might be different, but the principal is exactly the same.

If you ignore the fact that we are owed money for players (from Hull) rather than owing money for them (to Motherwell). It's like watching your neighbour buy a brand new BMW when you know he still owes money to the vendor of his previous car. Meanwhile, you continue driving your troublesome old banger (sorry Ingi!) because you don't want to upgrade till you've received the cash owed from the last car you sold.

I'm not sure there should be rules around this kind of scenario, but it does show that we are merely competing to survive even at this level.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 18 Aug 2010 10:07

Cardiff paying him £20,000 a week, Man City still paying him £65,000 a week

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 18 Aug 2010 10:32

Still sounds like a load of bleating about it not being fair just because they've been bold and pulled off a great piece of business.

There other financial problems are a different kettle of fish, and I agree that they (and any other club - including RFC at times in the past) should be under a transfer embargo until they've paid what they owe, that's a different story though.

It still goes back to the fact that we wouldn't have been able to afford Bertrand, Kishi or Griffin last season without their parent clubs paying a proportion of their wages. If that doesn't sit easily with people then moan about the loan system (as Coppell used to do), don't just get in a tizz because a player of Bellamy's quality is going to be able to rip the division apart on the cheap.

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 18 Aug 2010 11:03

Hoop Blah
It still goes back to the fact that we wouldn't have been able to afford Bertrand, Kishi or Griffin last season without their parent clubs paying a proportion of their wages. If that doesn't sit easily with people then moan about the loan system (as Coppell used to do), don't just get in a tizz because a player of Bellamy's quality is going to be able to rip the division apart on the cheap.

I don't think anyone has a problem with this.

But if the club can "afford" another extra wage, let's say £20k a week but has an old debt (and I bet there are other smaller ones hanging around that we don't know about) lingering for a player who played almost every league game last season that still hasn't been paid, is incredibly poor business management. It really shouldn't be allowed.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Aug 2010 11:17

The thing that leaves a bad taste in the mouth is more Man City's "You can't have him approach" to PL clubs.

Think this could be the first of many similar deals, where by clubs will still hoard players outside their 25 and then just send them off to the Championship to stay fit til Jan/June when they can review their squads again.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 18 Aug 2010 11:23

Does it not also prove that the standard of play in the Championship is higher than other countries top leagues?

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 18 Aug 2010 11:27

Hoop Blah There other financial problems are a different kettle of fish, and I agree that they (and any other club - including RFC at times in the past) should be under a transfer embargo until they've paid what they owe, that's a different story though.

How so? I'd say that's this exact story :|

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 18 Aug 2010 11:46

Big Foot Does it not also prove that the standard of play in the Championship is higher than other countries top leagues?

No. Unless you wish to consider the Welsh, Irish and the collection of former Soviet states only.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 18 Aug 2010 11:48

To solve this loan nonsense once and for all, the parent club should pay 100% of the wages of said player. The parent club own the contract and if they want their players to get game time then they should continue to pay the wages. This might reduce the sizes of squads and reduce the burden on all clubs.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 18 Aug 2010 11:53

Silver Fox
Hoop Blah There other financial problems are a different kettle of fish, and I agree that they (and any other club - including RFC at times in the past) should be under a transfer embargo until they've paid what they owe, that's a different story though.

How so? I'd say that's this exact story :|

My reply was aimed at the tone of the thread being more, they can't have him because he costs too much, as opposed to the, they can't have him because they still owe outstanding fee's for other players (which there have been comments to the effect of as well).

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 18 Aug 2010 12:08

Terminal Boardom
Big Foot Does it not also prove that the standard of play in the Championship is higher than other countries top leagues?

No. Unless you wish to consider the Welsh, Irish and the collection of former Soviet states only.

Scottish?

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 18 Aug 2010 13:49

Very good loan signing that...

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Aug 2010 13:54

Terminal Boardom To solve this loan nonsense once and for all, the parent club should pay 100% of the wages of said player. The parent club own the contract and if they want their players to get game time then they should continue to pay the wages. This might reduce the sizes of squads and reduce the burden on all clubs.

Just scrap the loan system full stop for players over the age of 21 - use it for youth development only. Players coming back from injury can play reserve games.

Clubs will then have to manage their squad numbers more sensibly.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 18 Aug 2010 14:00

There'd be something in having it available for players in the last year of their contract at any age, imo.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Aug 2010 14:01

Yeah, I could see some benefit to that.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 18 Aug 2010 14:06

Bit of jealousy I see.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 18 Aug 2010 14:35

W
U
T

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 18 Aug 2010 15:06

Stranded/paps, very good ideas which, combined with the 25 man squad rule, might prevent clubs stockpiling and also make players think twice about giving up their playing opportunities for the extra money available at the big clubs.