Non-League Day

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Non-League Day

by floyd__streete » 02 Sep 2010 21:58

readingbedding Non-League day...
Way too try-hard.

The people behind this mirror exactly the people who were up for and invested in the Ebbsfleet debacle.

To a man.

Football's football, just turn up whereever, whenever.

But, as usual, must have the big auld show off badge.
Look at me, aren't I great, 50% off please.

Vomit.

Pretty sure it is a campaign started up by a loyal supporter of some non-league outfit whose name escapes me momentarily, but you just carry on being contrary.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 03 Sep 2010 08:32

4th September

Local Conference Action

Hayes & Yeading v Histon
Basingstoke Town v Braintree Town (South)
Bishop's Stortford v Farnborough (South)
Ebbsfleet United v Staines Town (South)
Lewes v Hampton & Richmond Borough (South)
Maidenhead United v Bromley (South)

Local Ryman Premier

Kingstonian v Margate
Wealdstone v Bury Town

Local Ryman 1 South

Godalming Town v Chipstead
Leatherhead v Whyteleafe
Walton Casuals v Chatham Town

Local Southern League Premier

Brackley Town v Windsor & Eton
Chesham United v Tiverton Town
Didcot Town v Banbury United
Swindon Supermarine v Oxford City

Local Southern League 1 South & West

Abingdon United v Yate Town
Almondsbury Town v Thatcham Town
Andover v North Leigh
Frome Town v Hungerford Town

Games involving Hellenic clubs on Saturday

FA Vase 1Q

Ascot United v Staines Lammas
Baldock Town Letchworth v Milton United
Bicester Town v Cadbury Heath
Cheltenham Saracens v Hallen
Corsham Town v Oxford City Nomads
Highworth Town v Bradford Town
Hook Norton v Laverstock & Ford
Kidlington v Malmesbury Victoria
Old Woodstock Town v Shrewton United
Shrivenham v Potton United
Thame United v Slimbridge
Wantage Town v London Colney
Westbury United v Ardley United

Hellenic Premier

Binfield v Fairford Town
Bracknell Town v Wootton Bassett Town
Carterton Town v Abingdon Town
Pegasus Juniors v Wokingham & Emmbrook
Reading Town v Witney United
Shortwood United v Flackwell Heath

Hellenic 1 West

Easington Sports v Tytherington Rocks
Letcombe v Trowbridge Town
Lydney Town v Launton Sports
Winterbourne Town v Clanfield

Hellenic 1 East

Chinnor v Rayners Lane
Farnborough Reserves v South Kilburn
Henley Town v Newbury Town
Hungerford Town Reserves v Didcot Town Reserves
Penn & Tylers Green v Holyport
Woodley Town v Finchampstead

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 03 Sep 2010 19:29

Ian Herring Couple of us old Elm Park boys are off to Guildford City on Saturday. Sevenoaks in the F.A. Vase.

Nice easy train journey from Wokkers. Guildford full of nice old boozers and some classy rich MILFs.

Guildford's ground a shambly old collection of sheds and bits around a running track at a place called The Spectrum.

Six or seven quid to get in.

Looking forward to some non-league catering. Cheeseburgers with real, hard, stale cheese and meat that was last on the hoof several decades ago shortly before it was put in the freezer circa 1979 or something and some thin tea.

We've done a few of these trips over the past few years to various clubs in the Home Counties. It's always good, semi-clean fun.

At Egham one year we found an old leather 'style' office chair in one stand with the words 'Jimmy Loves Boys' spelled out in emulsion.

Joyous times.

If the cheeseburger you are about to experience is anything like those on offer at W&E, then you are either in for a treat/dysentery (delete where applicable).

Ian Herring

by Ian Herring » 04 Sep 2010 06:34

Ark Royal
Ian Herring Couple of us old Elm Park boys are off to Guildford City on Saturday. Sevenoaks in the F.A. Vase.

Nice easy train journey from Wokkers. Guildford full of nice old boozers and some classy rich MILFs.

Guildford's ground a shambly old collection of sheds and bits around a running track at a place called The Spectrum.

Six or seven quid to get in.

Looking forward to some non-league catering. Cheeseburgers with real, hard, stale cheese and meat that was last on the hoof several decades ago shortly before it was put in the freezer circa 1979 or something and some thin tea.

We've done a few of these trips over the past few years to various clubs in the Home Counties. It's always good, semi-clean fun.

At Egham one year we found an old leather 'style' office chair in one stand with the words 'Jimmy Loves Boys' spelled out in emulsion.

Joyous times.

If the cheeseburger you are about to experience is anything like those on offer at W&E, then you are either in for a treat/dysentery (delete where applicable).

That's exactly the kind I'm looking for. Mmmm.

brizzle royal

by brizzle royal » 06 Sep 2010 13:44

Went and watched Clevedon versus Sholing. 3-2 to Sholing Recommend the experience. 10 min drive from home , parked right outside ground, decent game, good refreshment bar and could have gone in bar after game if I had wanted to. Back home in time to watch results on Sky .Bliss !!
Made me wonder why I drive 94 miles to see RFC. Woman on turnstile was equally puzzled

Ian Herring

by Ian Herring » 06 Sep 2010 14:38

Guildford City v Sevenoaks was grand.

Lovely, weird ground set in a kind of natural amphitheatre of trees and banked grass with a stand and terrace along one side, running track around the pitch, athletics ephemera scattered about, nets for discus and hammer, that kind of thing.

No bar, so we had a drink in the Spectrum, a leisure centre, so the smell of chlorine and the sound of screaming kids as we downed Newcastle Brown - next time we'll stay in Guildford as it's only a twenty minute walk to the ground through lovely leafy streets and parkland.

5-0 to the home side, FA Vase, pretty good standard of football. Honest, hard play and no Premiershite-style histrionics. No music after goals, no jester hats, none of that sh*t.

Sevenoaks not as bad as the scoreline suggested.

Beautiful thin tea and as I had hoped, real non-league standard cheeseburgers. Served by faded MILF (yes I would have done, I like 'em like that) and done in a microwave. Don't know what the meat was, onions reconstituted mush, fantastic chemical cheese and mustard and sauce, e-numbered to buggery. Delicious, I had two.

Crowd was about eighty or so I suppose, a handful from Kent, right 'geezers' they were. The Guildford crowd was mild and pleasant, like the town and the weather.

A great trip, would deffo go there again soon. Six quid to get in.

Bizarre moment, another mate of ours was there independently of us. His boy's a season ticket holder at the Mad Stad and his other son was playing for Sevenoaks.

He stood behind us shouting 'come on Wokingham' repeatedly for about five minutes until we twigged, the spastic. Bemusement on the faces of nearby Guildfordians.

Finished up with a few pints of cider in Fuller's pub near river in town and train home later.

Recommended. If you're total weirdos like us, natch.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 06 Sep 2010 15:20

Ian Herring Finished up with a few pints of cider in Fuller's pub near river in town and train home later.

I frequented this establishment only last Saturday returning from Woking v Maiders. This after 1st visiting every cnting pub in Guildford trying to find somewhere that would let us watch the Reading game.

Gave up and went somewhere without a telly in the end, a Surrey town obviously being a hotbed for Manc Spacs watching their team on tv in Norwich Scarfs.

Ended up receiving commentary from a mongboarder via a crackly radio reception on the roof top patio. Floyd Streete said he would jump in the river if we won, about 12 secs before Mills struck.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 06 Sep 2010 15:55

Ian Herring Guildford City v Sevenoaks was grand.

Lovely, weird ground set in a kind of natural amphitheatre of trees and banked grass with a stand and terrace along one side, running track around the pitch, athletics ephemera scattered about, nets for discus and hammer, that kind of thing.

No bar, so we had a drink in the Spectrum, a leisure centre, so the smell of chlorine and the sound of screaming kids as we downed Newcastle Brown - next time we'll stay in Guildford as it's only a twenty minute walk to the ground through lovely leafy streets and parkland.

5-0 to the home side, FA Vase, pretty good standard of football. Honest, hard play and no Premiershite-style histrionics. No music after goals, no jester hats, none of that sh*t.

Sevenoaks not as bad as the scoreline suggested.

Beautiful thin tea and as I had hoped, real non-league standard cheeseburgers. Served by faded MILF (yes I would have done, I like 'em like that) and done in a microwave. Don't know what the meat was, onions reconstituted mush, fantastic chemical cheese and mustard and sauce, e-numbered to buggery. Delicious, I had two.

Crowd was about eighty or so I suppose, a handful from Kent, right 'geezers' they were. The Guildford crowd was mild and pleasant, like the town and the weather.

A great trip, would deffo go there again soon. Six quid to get in.

Bizarre moment, another mate of ours was there independently of us. His boy's a season ticket holder at the Mad Stad and his other son was playing for Sevenoaks.

He stood behind us shouting 'come on Wokingham' repeatedly for about five minutes until we twigged, the spastic. Bemusement on the faces of nearby Guildfordians.

Finished up with a few pints of cider in Fuller's pub near river in town and train home later.

Recommended. If you're total weirdos like us, natch.

Delighted that you got your cheeseburger from hell!

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 06 Sep 2010 16:08

Ian Herring Finished up with a few pints of cider in Fuller's pub near river in town and train home later.

Sounds like that would have been The White House. Remember being in there one lunchtime with a couple of colleagues - one of whom got chatted up by the local lush :shock:

Ian Herring

by Ian Herring » 06 Sep 2010 16:16

Terminal Boardom

Sounds like that would have been The White House. Remember being in there one lunchtime with a couple of colleagues - one of whom got chatted up by the local lush :shock:

That was the place. Early evening wasn't too bad. Fair sprinkling of talent, some out with their blokes looking bored, some on their own. The odd swan. We were never going to get chatted up, looking like sex offenders as we do.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 06 Sep 2010 16:18

Ian Herring
Terminal Boardom

That was the place. Early evening wasn't too bad. Fair sprinkling of talent, some out with their blokes looking bored, some on their own. The odd swan. We were never going to get chatted up, looking like sex offenders as we do.

But, more importantly, did you spot The Bearded Woman?

Ian Herring

by Ian Herring » 06 Sep 2010 17:44

Not a bloody sign of Brenda. The rumour is she's moved to Swindon.

If that's true she'll just blend in.

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 06 Sep 2010 21:12

I work in guildford a lot and can confirm she still lives there.I have seen her three times in the High Street in the last two months,couldnt believe it,she really has a long beard!

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 06 Sep 2010 22:05

Ian Herring

by Ian Herring » 07 Sep 2010 05:08

Trash food of the highest order Ark, I can tell you.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 07 Sep 2010 17:21

Did she used to live in Chichester because that's the only one I know and I can't believe there's two within such close vicinity to me.

Still, I guess she needs to be in Guilford to offset the other local talent.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 07 Sep 2010 19:00

Ian Herring

Trash food of the highest order Ark, I can tell you.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 08 Sep 2010 11:20

Is there intended to be a non-league "day" each internation break weekend?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 08 Sep 2010 15:05

I've now given up on HNA? but I just popped back into this thread to post my experiences of Non League Day, in case anyone fancies reading them.

http://urzz1871.wordpress.com

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 08 Sep 2010 15:34

Dirk Gently I've now given up on HNA? but I just popped back into this thread to post my experiences of Non League Day, in case anyone fancies reading them.

http://urzz1871.wordpress.com

Brilliant blog and backs up everything that I have said about watching, and enjoying, NL football.