LOLiverpooLOL - Next Season

8646 posts
Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: LOLiverpooLOL - Next Season

by Franchise FC » 18 Feb 2020 11:25

Hendo
Sanguine
Stranded Chelsea's loss last night means Liverpool are the first team to qualify for the 2020/21 Champions League.

Goes without saying but this is the earliest that that has been achieved. Trying to find the article, I think it was on Unibet - there are in the region of 35 records that Liverpool could set this season, and that's the second one ticked off (after setting the record two weeks ago for the largest lead at any point in an English top flight season).

If they beat West Ham at home next Monday they'll equal City's 18 league wins in a row, and also set a new top flight record of 21 home league wins in succession.

Yeah, I think I read something this morning that said they are the first team to qualify for the Champions League before the start of the knock-out stages.

While this is down to Liverpool's outstanding form, it does also point towards the rest of the teams being a bit iffy.

That's not strictly true. Man City are only 8 points short of their points tally after 25 games from last season - and that was an exceptional season
Even if they'd matched last season, they'd still be 17 points short of Liverpool.
This season is all about how good Liverpool are - by definition, if they win games the teams they're playing against must lose them and not because they're iffy, but simply because Liverpool are better

(Now I need to go and shower as that's going against the grain to praise Liverpool at all)

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 18 Feb 2020 11:42

Franchise FC
Hendo
Sanguine
Goes without saying but this is the earliest that that has been achieved. Trying to find the article, I think it was on Unibet - there are in the region of 35 records that Liverpool could set this season, and that's the second one ticked off (after setting the record two weeks ago for the largest lead at any point in an English top flight season).

If they beat West Ham at home next Monday they'll equal City's 18 league wins in a row, and also set a new top flight record of 21 home league wins in succession.

Yeah, I think I read something this morning that said they are the first team to qualify for the Champions League before the start of the knock-out stages.

While this is down to Liverpool's outstanding form, it does also point towards the rest of the teams being a bit iffy.

That's not strictly true. Man City are only 8 points short of their points tally after 25 games from last season - and that was an exceptional season
Even if they'd matched last season, they'd still be 17 points short of Liverpool.
This season is all about how good Liverpool are - by definition, if they win games the teams they're playing against must lose them and not because they're iffy, but simply because Liverpool are better

(Now I need to go and shower as that's going against the grain to praise Liverpool at all)

It will get easier for you in time and you might have to put up with a few years of them being top dogs again.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 18 Feb 2020 12:05

Hendo
Sanguine
Stranded Chelsea's loss last night means Liverpool are the first team to qualify for the 2020/21 Champions League.

Yes and no. City will have 54 points from 26 games if they win their game in hand - that's a 79-point season which is below par, sure, but is only 5 or 6 points below a 'normal' season at or near the top of the table. We've become accustomed to the likes of City and Liverpool setting record totals.

And there's another record Liverpool might beat (ridiculously) - if/when they go past City's 100 points in a season (eight wins and a draw for this from their last 12), they'll also be approaching City's record for points over two seasons, which stands at 198.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 18 Feb 2020 12:07

Stranded
Sanguine

Football365 update this one fairly regularly: https://www.football365.com/news/liverp ... ier-league

Perfect ta, that was the one.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Feb 2020 12:27

Hendo
Sanguine

Not sure I buy the rest of the league is iffy - the fact that outside of Liverpool everyone else seems capable of beating each other is the sign of an incredibly competitive league where the general standard of the "middling" teams has improved as they can afford to buy in better quality that even 5 years ago they would not have been able to do so - this simply means the top 4 or 5 are not miles ahead of the rest as has happened in the last few seasons - the gap between 6th and 8th has been around 12 to 14 points - that simply isn't healthy (nor is one team being so far ahead) so the fact that where only 5 points separate 4th to 11th is a positive.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 18 Feb 2020 12:30

Or as the meme goes - Liverpool win the CL despite losing four times = 'the CL is shit', Liverpool coast to the PL title = 'the PL is shit'.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Feb 2020 13:05

Liverpool are by far the best team I have ever seen in the Premier League, they have absolutely everything. No weaknesses at all from what I can see.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 18 Feb 2020 13:24

Old Man Andrews Liverpool are by far the best team I have ever seen in the Premier League, they have absolutely everything. No weaknesses at all from what I can see.

Graphic I saw yesterday that of their entire senior first team squad only three players - Adrian, Milner and Wijnaldum, are not contracted to the club until the end of the 2022-23 season.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Feb 2020 13:26

Sanguine
Old Man Andrews Liverpool are by far the best team I have ever seen in the Premier League, they have absolutely everything. No weaknesses at all from what I can see.

Graphic I saw yesterday that of their entire senior first team squad only three players - Adrian, Milner and Wijnaldum, are not contracted to the club until the end of the 2022-23 season.

It is very much theirs to lose for the next few seasons for sure.

I think they do need to buy in the summer though, two midfielders and a top notch striker to compete with Firmino. I think Werner would be great for them.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 18 Feb 2020 15:22

Very little cover in defence and attack to cover injuries is the only thing I can think off...

- VVD going down for 6 months would be like Kompany leaving City

- No real cover for either full-back long term

- Loads to choose from in midfield

- Limited if the front three not available (but most teams would be tbf)

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 18 Feb 2020 15:30

BR0B0T

Very little cover in defence and attack to cover injuries is the only thing I can think off...

- VVD going down for 6 months would be like Kompany leaving City

- No real cover for either full-back long term

- Loads to choose from in midfield

- Limited if the front three not available (but most teams would be tbf)

For me one of the most impressive parts of their season has been continuing their run of form when, say, Milner has had to come into midfield, or Origi or Lallana have got a start, or during much of the period up to Xmas where they were without Gomez and Alisson.

But yeah, they've got some key players that are as good as irreplaceable - one of their challenges is that with such a settled first-team, they won't appeal to the very best transfer options. Because of that and despite the rumours I'd actually be surprised if they got Werner - and if they don't, or get a similar backup, they will have a problem next season during the rearranged AFCON.

Not saying that City haven't had some exceptional players, but what characterised their league winning squads was players in that second or third tier of excellence who wouldn't agitate for a move if they weren't playing - Kompany, Sane, Silva, Gundogan, Jesus, and now Foden. Liverpool don't really have that yet - it's their first team, one or two functional reserves (like a Delph or Otamendi), and not a lot else.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 18 Feb 2020 15:35

BR0B0T Very little cover in defence and attack to cover injuries is the only thing I can think off...

TBF you were saying this earlier in the season and it seems to be working out

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 18 Feb 2020 15:40

Silver Fox
BR0B0T Very little cover in defence and attack to cover injuries is the only thing I can think off...

As long as VVD isn't the one injured then working out is what the defence will do because he's good enough to make me look good as a centre back.
Losing him for an extended period would likely bring them back to simply very, very good instead of amazing

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 18 Feb 2020 15:42

Silver Fox

You haven't had long term injuries to key players that don't have replacements

VDD, TAA, Salah, Mane etc

There is an element of luck to this

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 18 Feb 2020 15:49

BR0B0T
Silver Fox

You haven't had long term injuries to key players that don't have replacements

VDD, TAA, Salah, Mane etc

There is an element of luck to this

Yes, they've been lucky with injuries, but even so … 76 points from 78 is borderline decent
(It's possibly 106 from 108 including the end of last season - if I've got the numbers correct)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Feb 2020 08:29

Stranded
Hendo
Sanguine

Not sure I buy the rest of the league is iffy - the fact that outside of Liverpool everyone else seems capable of beating each other is the sign of an incredibly competitive league where the general standard of the "middling" teams has improved as they can afford to buy in better quality that even 5 years ago they would not have been able to do so - this simply means the top 4 or 5 are not miles ahead of the rest as has happened in the last few seasons - the gap between 6th and 8th has been around 12 to 14 points - that simply isn't healthy (nor is one team being so far ahead) so the fact that where only 5 points separate 4th to 11th is a positive.

The big 4 have lost their strangle hold on the top positions mainly down the end of managerial eras, poor decisions and new wealth catapulting city up there. The moment it stopped being a big four and became a big six who couldn't all always get Champions League football made the division more volatile.

But the decline of Arsenal, Chelsea and Utd plus the Spurs glass ceiling has just meant Liverpool and City were primed to form a big two and break away.

The middle of the league has got a bit better, but much less so than Liverpool and City. The gulf between those two and everyone else at this point is in danger of turning the PL into the SPL pre Rangers fall.

City cope fine switching managers, but Liverpool might slip if Klopp goes...

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 19 Feb 2020 09:44

Snowflake Royal

It should probably worry the PL that rather than Gerrard, Julian Nagelsmann is already seen as Klopp's heir, for the way he sets up the RB Leipzig side, and his similar outlook on the game. And he'll still only be 36 when Klopp's contract is up in 2024.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 19 Feb 2020 11:46

Sanguine
Snowflake Royal

It should probably worry the PL that rather than Gerrard, Julian Nagelsmann is already seen as Klopp's heir, for the way he sets up the RB Leipzig side, and his similar outlook on the game. And he'll still only be 36 when Klopp's contract is up in 2024.

you're getting a bit giddy here m8

Utd won a treble, did three on the bounce before Russian money fueled Chelsea's dominance for the next few years...United wrestled it back before Oil money pushed City up the charts...Leicester wtf :shock: ....now your lads are having a pop

Which undervalued club with a large fanbase will be bought next. Potential candidates...

Aston Villa, Newcastle, Leeds

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 19 Feb 2020 12:26

BR0B0T
Sanguine
Snowflake Royal

You sound worried m9, etc.

Of course what has characterised Liverpool's rise has been their relatively low net spend.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 19 Feb 2020 13:24

BR0B0T
Sanguine
Snowflake Royal

Utd won a treble, did three on the bounce before Russian money fueled Chelsea's dominance for the next few years...United wrestled it back before Oil money pushed City up the charts...Leicester wtf :shock: ....now your lads are having a pop

Which undervalued club with a large fanbase will be bought next. Potential candidates...

Aston Villa, Newcastle, Leeds

Although, Leicester apart, the money-fuelled improvement (which I would consider 'catching up' on the profligacy of others) is now banned under FFP. That is, until City take the whole principle to a civil court, win the restraint of trade argument and set off a new Bosman situation.

Current FFP is specifically designed to stop irritating little upstarts from making any sort of challenge to the 'current' big clubs.
Should have put it in place in the 1800's, then Preston would still be there, or the 1930's so Huddersfield would be :roll:

Am I ranting again ?

Must … step … away … from … the … keyboard

8646 posts