LOLiverpooLOL - Next Season

8640 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: LOLiverpooLOL - Next Season

by URZZZZ » 11 Nov 2020 15:18

As Sanguine has said in the other thread, been reported that Gomez has suffered a “serious injury” on international duty

It’s easy to say after the event has happened but I personally don’t (didn’t) see the need for so many international games this year crammed in. No need for friendlies etc

Liverpool will be clinging on till the start of January now, they’ve just got to keep themselves in contention till then which I fancy them to do. Crucial for them that Matip is able to stay fit now, he’s potentially now the difference maker of their season

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 11 Nov 2020 16:15

URZZZZ As Sanguine has said in the other thread, been reported that Gomez has suffered a “serious injury” on international duty

It’s easy to say after the event has happened but I personally don’t (didn’t) see the need for so many international games this year crammed in. No need for friendlies etc

Liverpool will be clinging on till the start of January now, they’ve just got to keep themselves in contention till then which I fancy them to do. Crucial for them that Matip is able to stay fit now, he’s potentially now the difference maker of their season

A couple of Liverpool fanzines now saying it's a knee injury - was described as 'serious' earlier, hoping it's not a second ACL tear, he's still only 23.

Look's like a defence of Robertson-Matip-Fabinho-Milner for Liverpool after the international break.

I'd expect those David Alaba rumours to intensify now, given one of the reasons for not signing him was said to be blocking Gomez's progress.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 Nov 2020 17:11

Sanguine
URZZZZ As Sanguine has said in the other thread, been reported that Gomez has suffered a “serious injury” on international duty

A couple of Liverpool fanzines now saying it's a knee injury - was described as 'serious' earlier, hoping it's not a second ACL tear, he's still only 23.

Look's like a defence of Robertson-Matip-Fabinho-Milner for Liverpool after the international break.

I'd expect those David Alaba rumours to intensify now, given one of the reasons for not signing him was said to be blocking Gomez's progress.

I thought Fabinho was out injured too?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 11 Nov 2020 17:15

URZZZZ
Sanguine

Has been, but should be back after the international break. Thiago too.

Does speak though of Liverpool's strength in depth that they have won five and drawn one since Van Dijk and Fabinho were injured, and that conceivably starting Rhys Williams at CB in their next league game wouldn't be a disaster.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 Nov 2020 22:28

Sanguine
URZZZZ
Sanguine

Has been, but should be back after the international break. Thiago too.

Does speak though of Liverpool's strength in depth that they have won five and drawn one since Van Dijk and Fabinho were injured, and that conceivably starting Rhys Williams at CB in their next league game wouldn't be a disaster.

Not sure of the calibre of Liverpool’s young CB’s but you won’t face much of a harder test than Vardy as your first game, I’d reckon Klopp would choose Henderson at CB ahead of a youngster in that one, I think I read somewhere that Henderson has played there for them before but I could be wrong

Could possibly be the game to scrap the high line policy they use, although effectively that is Klopp’s philosophy to a tee so will be interesting to see

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Nov 2020 08:14

Only reason there are friendlies is TV money. Last night's England-Ireland game was only arranged as the FA didn't want to pay back TV money following NZ pulling out.

They are just pointless at current and offer little value. What was the point in Portugal playing Andorra for exampl

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 13 Nov 2020 10:01

Stranded

What was the point in Portugal playing Andorra for exampl

So Ronaldo can score?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Nov 2020 10:59

Old Man Andrews
Stranded

What was the point in Portugal playing Andorra for exampl

So Ronaldo can score?

Well he did net the killer 6th goal.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 13 Nov 2020 11:01

If some of the scrutiny applied to others (yes, this is the Messi is a flat track bully stuff) was applied to Ronaldo's international record...

That's his 6th goal vs. Andorra, to add to 5 vs. each of Armenia, Latvia and Luxembourg, and 4 vs. each of Estonia and the Faroes. And he's got 7 against Lithuania.

It's just an oddity of his record, not a criticism of him, and he near carried Portugal to their Euro title.

He's got 3 goals against Belgium, 4 against Netherlands, 3 against Spain. But he's never scored against England, France, Germany or Italy.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 13 Nov 2020 11:17

Sanguine If some of the scrutiny applied to others (yes, this is the Messi is a flat track bully stuff) was applied to Ronaldo's international record...

That's his 6th goal vs. Andorra, to add to 5 vs. each of Armenia, Latvia and Luxembourg, and 4 vs. each of Estonia and the Faroes. And he's got 7 against Lithuania.

It's just an oddity of his record, not a criticism of him, and he near carried Portugal to their Euro title.

He's got 3 goals against Belgium, 4 against Netherlands, 3 against Spain. But he's never scored against England, France, Germany or Italy.

Not one to naturally offer mitigation for Ronaldo but as Portugal are often in the same seeding groups as the likes of England, France, Germany or Italy, how often does he actually play against them?

<Edit> the answer being France 6, England 3, Germany 3, Italy 2.

Then again, of Harry Kane's 32 International goals, only 3 have come against top seeded teams (1 v France, 2 v Germany) and none in competative matches. Not even sure how many games he's played against top international sides.I'd hazard a guess at no more than 5.

I'm now wondering what point I'm actually trying to prove.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 13 Nov 2020 11:45

From Despair To Where?
Sanguine If some of the scrutiny applied to others (yes, this is the Messi is a flat track bully stuff) was applied to Ronaldo's international record...

Not one to naturally offer mitigation for Ronaldo but as Portugal are often in the same seeding groups as the likes of England, France, Germany or Italy, how often does he actually play against them?

<Edit> the answer being France 6, England 3, Germany 3, Italy 2.

Then again, of Harry Kane's 32 International goals, only 3 have come against top seeded teams (1 v France, 2 v Germany) and none in competative matches.

Yeah I had looked at this before tbh, and was expecting a mere handful - for a player of his calibre though no goals in 14 matches against those teams is a real oddity in his stats. But as you show, that's the nature of international goalscoring records - something often overlooked about Rooney's total is just how many of his goals were in competitive games vs. the records of the likes of Lineker and Charlton.

Ronaldo's goals also highlight the way top level international football has expanded to include lesser nations. Despite all those goals against lesser teams, 84 of his international goals are in competitive (mainly qualifying) games.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 13 Nov 2020 11:54

I remember being shocked that outside the Home Internationals, England only played something like 12 competative fixtures in the whole of the 1960s and 6 of them were at the World Cup in 66.

I suppose with someone like Messi, his appearances will be heavily weighted against the other 9 South American teams and Brazil are the only one to have not gone through periods of shiteness over the past 15 years.

As you suggest, its probably fair to judge Ronaldo by his record in competative fixtures which is excellent really. I think I've evolved from "Ronaldo is a flat track bully" to "nearly all top strikers are flat track bullies"

Anyway,this is probably the wrong thread to discuss this.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Nov 2020 14:02

From Despair To Where? I remember being shocked that outside the Home Internationals, England only played something like 12 competative fixtures in the whole of the 1960s and 6 of them were at the World Cup in 66.

That figure is incorrect.

Basically England played 24 competitive games in the 1960s:

1962 World Cup Qualifying

4 games (v Portugal & Luxembourg)

1962 World Cup Finals

4 games (v Hungary, Argentina, Bulgaria & Brazil)

1964 European Championship Qualifying

2 games (lost to France 6-3 on aggregate)

1966 World Cup Qualifying

0 games (qualified for finals as hosts)

1966 World Cup Finals

6 games (v Uruguay, Mexico, France, Argentina, Portugal & West Germany)

1968 European Championship Qualifying

6 games (v N Ireland, Wales & Scotland)

The days when the authorities were “lazy” and just used the home internationals as the qualifying group. In this case the results of the 1967 and 1968 championships were combined.

1968 European Championship Finals

2 games (v Yugoslavia & Russia)
    The Russia game was the 3rd place play off which England won 2-0, I suppose that’s still technically classed as competitive :lol:

1970 World Cup Qualifying

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 13 Nov 2020 14:18

Pretty sure Mexico were the hosts in the 1970 world cup

:wink:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Nov 2020 14:26

Silver Fox Pretty sure Mexico were the hosts in the 1970 world cup

:wink:

:lol:

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 13 Nov 2020 14:33

Sutekh
From Despair To Where? I remember being shocked that outside the Home Internationals, England only played something like 12 competative fixtures in the whole of the 1960s and 6 of them were at the World Cup in 66.

That figure is incorrect.

Basically England played 24 competitive games in the 1960s:

1962 World Cup Qualifying

4 games (v Portugal & Luxembourg)

1962 World Cup Finals

4 games (v Hungary, Argentina, Bulgaria & Brazil)

1964 European Championship Qualifying

2 games (lost to France 6-3 on aggregate)

1966 World Cup Qualifying

1966 World Cup Finals

6 games (v Uruguay, Mexico, France, Argentina, Portugal & West Germany)

1968 European Championship Qualifying

6 games (v N Ireland, Wales & Scotland)

The days when the authorities were “lazy” and just used the home internationals as the qualifying group. In this case the results of the 1967 and 1968 championships were combined.

1968 European Championship Finals

2 games (v Yugoslavia & Russia)
    The Russia game was the 3rd place play off which England won 2-0, I suppose that’s still technically classed as competitive :lol:

1970 World Cup Qualifying

I did say outside home internationals knowing that they used them for the European Championships qualifiers :wink: I couldn't remember the exact number but knew it was under 20

Still, 18 competative games in 10 years isn't a lot.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 13 Nov 2020 15:00

Stranded

Only reason there are friendlies is TV money. Last night's England-Ireland game was only arranged as the FA didn't want to pay back TV money following NZ pulling out.

They are just pointless at current and offer little value. What was the point in Portugal playing Andorra for exampl

To be fair, what’s the point of Andorra playing anyone :lol:

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 13 Nov 2020 15:26

URZZZZ
Stranded

They nearly drew with Wales a few years back didn't they? Probably a highlight for them.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 13 Nov 2020 15:31

URZZZZ
Stranded

How do you expect them to improve if they cannot play anyone?

Yes they might get hammered by the bigger nations, but playing the bigger nations no doubt brings in extra money through TV rights which will hopefully help the country improve.

If they play against smaller nations then you would hope they start to better themselves as players as they are playing against similar level opponents.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 13 Nov 2020 15:45

Hendo
URZZZZ
Stranded

How do you expect them to improve if they cannot play anyone?

Yes they might get hammered by the bigger nations, but playing the bigger nations no doubt brings in extra money through TV rights which will hopefully help the country improve.

If they play against smaller nations then you would hope they start to better themselves as players as they are playing against similar level opponents.

It was more a tongue in cheek comment but the problem is (certainly in the old format) they’re always going to be in the lowest tier so they rarely get to play “like minded” teams

I don’t really understand the new format at all so it could have changed but from what I recall, they haven’t won a game in ages have they?

8640 posts