LOLiverpooLOL - Next Season

8629 posts
Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: LOLiverpooLOL

by Victor Meldrew » 19 Sep 2010 16:28

As Hansen would say "terrible defending" by both teams.
I think Liverpool will finish around 4th or 5th which would be an improvement on last season but still way short of where they were 20 years ago.
There must be young people on here who just don't know how dominant Liverpool were in England and Europe and probably don't understand the media interest in what they do.
Football does go in cycles and probably those same people wouldn't believe that Chelsea and Man Utd actually played in the old second division not so long ago for those of us who existed pre-Premier League and that Villa played in the 3rd (as did City only a few years ago)possibly at the time when Blackpool were playing at the top level along with Bristol City.
Liverpool have been back playing at the top level for just under 50 years and I believe only Arsenal and Everton have been there longer.

PlasticRoyale
Hob Nob Regular

by PlasticRoyale » 19 Sep 2010 17:16

Utd where in the old second division in 1974 for one season came back up the following season and finished 3rd (think Coppell may have been in that side)

Liverpool have finished above Utd in the prem, once according to the list below but i'm sure Utd finished as low as fourth one year

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_En ... _champions

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 19 Sep 2010 17:40

Liverpool may have a great history, but so do a lot of teams playing outside the Prem.

I honestly think Liverpool are heading for oblivion within 5 years. The way finances are in the game, 2 years without CL football and they wont be back for a very long time. If Newcastle and Leeds can go down, so can Liverpool. That might seem a bit OTT, but they have such massive debts that once the rot sets in they are only heading one way. Gerrard & Torres to leave within a year, and no CL lure or financial clout to replace them

Deadlock
Hob Nob Regular
Location: There's nothing of value there and the people make very poor slaves.

by Deadlock » 20 Sep 2010 12:07

Tony Le Mesmer Liverpool may have a great history, but so do a lot of teams playing outside the Prem.

Indeed. It's good to remember that the first club who did the League and Cup double were Preston North End, and the first club to win three First Division Championships back-to-back were Huddersfield Town.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 20 Sep 2010 12:45

Tony Le Mesmer Liverpool may have a great history, but so do a lot of teams playing outside the Prem.

I honestly think Liverpool are heading for oblivion within 5 years. The way finances are in the game, 2 years without CL football and they wont be back for a very long time. If Newcastle and Leeds can go down, so can Liverpool. That might seem a bit OTT, but they have such massive debts that once the rot sets in they are only heading one way. Gerrard & Torres to leave within a year, and no CL lure or financial clout to replace them

I don't think they will go down, or reach 'oblivion', but do agree that that doomsday scenario is uncomfortably closer than anyone at the club might like to admit. Roy Hodgson has to get another sackful of manager points for convincing Gerrard and Torres to stick around this season (although whether the latter will stay in the January window remains to be seen) - but if they do leave, the club will 'do a Reading' and much of the cash received for the players will be lost to club debts.

They haven't had the easiest start to the season, and things would look completely different had they enjoyed Chelsea'a fixture list, but the fact is without those two star players, they are very, very ordinary, and certainly no better on a consistent basis than the likes of Fulham, Birmingham and Villa. Which is a bizarre situation for the club to be in - let's not pretend they are simply another club with a bit of a history, they are the most decorated club in English football, and that is in part what convinced the likes of Torres and Alonso to join the club in the first place. No-one joins Huddersfield because they were great in the 30s.

The situation needs to be arrested, and God only knows what is going on behind the scenes on the whole ownership fiasco - it seems every few months a few people get interested and then turn their backs on LFC once negotiations reach any sort of advanced stage. RBS sure to step in soon and sort out the takeover themselves.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 20 Sep 2010 13:09

So much defending of Liverpool even though you're a Reading fan.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 20 Sep 2010 13:12

I've admitted I follow Liverpool too, Harold.

You're mellowing in your old age, you don't even try any more. :cry:

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 20 Sep 2010 13:20

Between 6th and 10th for Liverpool this season, other teams have now taken their place and are better, more consistant and have more money.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 20 Sep 2010 13:32

Benayoun > Joe Cole.

J Cole's best days are far behind now.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 20 Sep 2010 13:51

PlasticRoyale Utd where in the old second division in 1974 for one season came back up the following season and finished 3rd (think Coppell may have been in that side)

Liverpool have finished above Utd in the prem, once according to the list below but i'm sure Utd finished as low as fourth one year

It has already been posted about both them and Chelsea having been relegated so why repeat it?
BTW when Liverpool were promoted back in the early 60s they won the title straight away whereas Man Utd only came 3rd.
I went to the game at Spurs over Easter when Liverpool beat the previous year's champions 3-0 on their way to winning that title.
IIRC (for the sake of the older and wiser posters on here who know that football has been going for so much longer than the new Premier League)the teams were something like this:-
Spurs:-?

Brown
Baker
Henry
Blanchflower
Norman
McKay
Jones White Smith Allen Medwin

The Mighty Reds:-
Lawrence
Byrne
Lawler
Strong
Moran
Smith
Callaghan Hunt St John Milne Thompson
10 of those were English - big Ron Yeats would normally have played but Chris Lawler made his debut at centre-back that day and went on to be one of the best right-backs around.
It wasn't long before they went on to be England's most successful club in Europe by far-a record that may well take many,many years to surpass if ever.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 20 Sep 2010 13:53

No Fixed Abode Benayoun > Joe Cole.

J Cole's best days are far behind now.

That's if he ever had any best days.
BTW Benayoun cost £6million
Cole cost £0 so really he ought to be better surely?

Tredder
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Tredder » 20 Sep 2010 14:12

I GENUINELY didn't know Joe Cole was on the pitch, i watched all that game and it was only when the 'pool made a substitution and the commentator said that would probably see Cole move out to the left, i didn't even see him get involved for the goal celebrations, he's being murking a living for years now.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 20 Sep 2010 17:42

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 21 Sep 2010 16:00

Daniel Agger [Our play has changed, so I'll have to adjust a bit. The manager has a philosophy that we're playing football further up the pitch and then you have to play a different kind of football at the back

That's not my style. That's not the type of football player I am. I like to keep the ball on the ground. And I'm going to keep doing that. Whether he'll use me or not, time will tell

I guess I'll try to change even though I'm not going to be the player that unloads the ball every single time I get it

LOLong ball LOLiverpooLOL

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 21 Sep 2010 16:46

Never like to see a team deliberately adopt a 'direct' strategy, but tbf to Hodgson he completely turned things around at Fulham when the club seemed doomed to relegation. That said, it's pretty easy to argue that a different approach is needed at a club that has a squad of more talented players than the likes of Fulham, and should be challenging for honours, not avoiding the abyss. But then that's what managers do, they stamp their own style on a club, I don't think Arsene Wenger, for example, would play defensive, direct football if he were made Bolton or Wigan manager.

Easy to see why Agger is a bit frustrated. If it works for Hodgson it will likely be at the expense of exciting football, and of players like Agger, who has always been a ball-playing defender. It worked for Houiller, to the extent that he won 5 cup competitions at Liverpool, playing relatively insipid football to the less successful Benitez.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 21 Sep 2010 18:44

Liverpool's aim this season is to finish 4th and complete selling the club to someone who has money so they can rebuild successfully.

So no their season is not over this yet.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 21 Sep 2010 19:39

I think Liverpool have a better team than last season.

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 21 Sep 2010 20:11

BR2
PlasticRoyale Utd where in the old second division in 1974 for one season came back up the following season and finished 3rd (think Coppell may have been in that side)

It has already been posted about both them and Chelsea having been relegated so why repeat it?
BTW when Liverpool were promoted back in the early 60s they won the title straight away whereas Man Utd only came 3rd.
I went to the game at Spurs over Easter when Liverpool beat the previous year's champions 3-0 on their way to winning that title.
IIRC (for the sake of the older and wiser posters on here who know that football has been going for so much longer than the new Premier League)the teams were something like this:-

Brown
Baker
Henry
Blanchflower
Norman
McKay

Lawrence
Byrne
Lawler
Strong
Moran
Smith
10 of those were English - big Ron Yeats would normally have played but Chris Lawler made his debut at centre-back that day and went on to be one of the best right-backs around.
It wasn't long before they went on to be England's most successful club in Europe by far-a record that may well take many,many years to surpass if ever.

So many factual inaccuracies: Coppell was still at Liverpool University when Manchester United were promoted back up to Division 1, and he then spent time at Tranmere before going to Old Trafford.

Liverpool didn't win the League title in their first season after promotion* (they won div 2 in 1962/3*), they finished 8th* and didn't win the League title again until the year after*...so if you saw Liverpool beat the defending champions at White Hart Lane it would have been a neutral venue as Everton had won the previous seasons title*.

Fair play though for naming the teams - I doubt that Blanchflower was playing as he was pretty much finished off by winning the ECWC the previous season, but John White is certainly a player I would have loved to have seen - if you saw him in Easter 1964, he died in July that year*, struck by lightning whilst playing golf.

*God bless wikipedia.

PlasticRoyale
Hob Nob Regular

by PlasticRoyale » 21 Sep 2010 20:25

Suck my massive cock BB

But in 1975 his life changed when Manchester United made an offer of £60,000 for him. His prospective new club instantly offered to double his wage and Coppell signed. Wikipedia

Liverpool also won 63/4 title

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 21 Sep 2010 22:09

bobbybottler
BR2

Brown
Baker
Henry
Blanchflower
Norman
McKay

Lawrence
Byrne
Lawler
Strong
Moran
Smith

So many factual inaccuracies: Coppell was still at Liverpool University when Manchester United were promoted back up to Division 1, and he then spent time at Tranmere before going to Old Trafford.

Liverpool didn't win the League title in their first season after promotion* (they won div 2 in 1962/3*), they finished 8th* and didn't win the League title again until the year after*...so if you saw Liverpool beat the defending champions at White Hart Lane it would have been a neutral venue as Everton had won the previous seasons title*.

Fair play though for naming the teams - I doubt that Blanchflower was playing as he was pretty much finished off by winning the ECWC the previous season, but John White is certainly a player I would have loved to have seen - if you saw him in Easter 1964, he died in July that year*, struck by lightning whilst playing golf.

*God bless wikipedia.

I did post without looking things up so everything might not be 100% kosher but hey it's nearly 50 years ago mate.
For the record Spurs had finished 2nd the year before,3rd the year before that,won the league and cup the year before that and had finished 3rd the year before that so to beat them 3-0 away was quite something.
I did see both John White and Blanchflower play as I saw Spurs a few times around then including a 5-2 v a very good Blackburn side.

8629 posts