Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: LOLiverpooLOL - Next Season

by Hendo » 13 Nov 2020 15:49

URZZZZ
Hendo
URZZZZ
To be fair, what’s the point of Andorra playing anyone :lol:

How do you expect them to improve if they cannot play anyone?

Yes they might get hammered by the bigger nations, but playing the bigger nations no doubt brings in extra money through TV rights which will hopefully help the country improve.

If they play against smaller nations then you would hope they start to better themselves as players as they are playing against similar level opponents.

It was more a tongue in cheek comment but the problem is (certainly in the old format) they’re always going to be in the lowest tier so they rarely get to play “like minded” teams

I don’t really understand the new format at all so it could have changed but from what I recall, they haven’t won a game in ages have they?

11th October 2019, they beat Moldova 1-0 at home.

In their last 8 games, they have only conceded more than 2 once, and that was against Portugal yesterday.

Their Nations league group is Faroe Islands, Malta & Latvia, who I would say are probably good competition for them. They have 2 draws and 2 defeats from 4 games. Draws coming at home to Malta and away at Latvia.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 13 Nov 2020 15:53

Hendo
URZZZZ
Hendo

Yes they might get hammered by the bigger nations, but playing the bigger nations no doubt brings in extra money through TV rights which will hopefully help the country improve.

If they play against smaller nations then you would hope they start to better themselves as players as they are playing against similar level opponents.

It was more a tongue in cheek comment but the problem is (certainly in the old format) they’re always going to be in the lowest tier so they rarely get to play “like minded” teams

I don’t really understand the new format at all so it could have changed but from what I recall, they haven’t won a game in ages have they?

In their last 8 games, they have only conceded more than 2 once, and that was against Portugal yesterday.

Their Nations league group is Faroe Islands, Malta & Latvia, who I would say are probably good competition for them. They have 2 draws and 2 defeats from 4 games. Draws coming at home to Malta and away at Latvia.

My mistake, don’t really keep much of an eye on internationals but from what I could remember from a few years ago they were almost thrashed each game (unless I’m wrong/they’ve improved/I’m getting them confused with someone else)

Still, in the grand scheme of things, in the current environment, I question how logical it is for a friendly between Portugal and Andorra as Stranded pointed out

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 13 Nov 2020 16:02

On Liverpool though, Mo's got the Covids, Brobot will be on fumes soon if he's not careful

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 13 Nov 2020 17:40

Silver Fox On Liverpool though, Mo's got the Covids, Brobot will be on fumes soon if he's not careful

Obvs delighted to hear that...guess it's why it's hard to win the prem 2 years in a row

What you'll get now is the usual shit about your fitness/medical dept being inept.

Rather than it all being fairly random

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 13 Nov 2020 19:47

URZZZZ
Hendo
URZZZZ

My mistake, don’t really keep much of an eye on internationals but from what I could remember from a few years ago they were almost thrashed each game (unless I’m wrong/they’ve improved/I’m getting them confused with someone else)

Still, in the grand scheme of things, in the current environment, I question how logical it is for a friendly between Portugal and Andorra as Stranded pointed out

I remember Switzerland getting a higher seeding in a World Cup than England because a quirk of the FIFA ranking system meant you got more points for beating a shit team in a friendly than losing to a good team in one, so they only played shit teams in friendlies. Maybe Portugal are trying the same.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Nov 2020 20:53

URZZZZ
Hendo
URZZZZ
To be fair, what’s the point of Andorra playing anyone :lol:

Andorra beat Moldova 1-0 about a year ago in the Euro 2020 qualifiers.

For the record, since being accepted by UEFA in 1996, Andorra have only ever won 6 games. Their longest period without a win since 1996 is just over 12 years (beat Macedonia 1-0 in 2005 and didn’t win again until defeating Hungary by the same score in 2017).

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 16 Nov 2020 14:41

Saw Robertson missed yesterday’s game with Scotland with a slight knock, could be OK for Wednesday but not definite

Would be sort of ironic if Liverpool’s whole first choice back four were out against (as the table suggests) the best team in the league so far. Or do we think possibly Robertson’s “injury” was over exaggerated for that reason

Even so, odds of Leicester to win at 3/1 seem a bit generous

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 23 Nov 2020 01:14

Injuries shminjuries

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 23 Nov 2020 09:56

Liverpool were fantastic yesterday, nice to see Firmino get a goal at the end too with his luck being out and him getting a bit of stick recently

Even more impressive when you consider Van Dijk, Trent, Gomez, Thiago, Henderson, Chamberlain, Shaqiri and Salah were all out and Keita hobbling off (again)

It’s ironic how far Liverpool are ahead of City given it was neck and neck just over a year ago

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Nov 2020 11:59

URZZZZ Liverpool were fantastic yesterday, nice to see Firmino get a goal at the end too with his luck being out and him getting a bit of stick recently

Even more impressive when you consider Van Dijk, Trent, Gomez, Thiago, Henderson, Chamberlain, Shaqiri and Salah were all out and Keita hobbling off (again)

It’s ironic how far Liverpool are ahead of City given it was neck and neck just over a year ago

It's almost as if Liverpool identify weaknesses in their squad and go and find the best player for their needs regardless of who they play for - they are happy to buy an unheralded player because he has the exact attributes they need i.e. Robertson rather than spunking 50m on a flavour of the month type of signing from Spain.

Liverpool will spend big but only once they are as sure as they can be that the player they are after is the very best option available for their needs.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 23 Nov 2020 12:02

URZZZZ Liverpool were fantastic yesterday, nice to see Firmino get a goal at the end too with his luck being out and him getting a bit of stick recently

not surprising to see Liverpool pick up all these injuries during their cycling off period

...caffeine overdosing, 22 out of 35 players are asthmatic for the inhaler etc etc

not illegal and City have likely been doing it as well (Pep has previous)

(tbf all teams are prolly at it)

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 23 Nov 2020 13:42

Stranded

It's almost as if Liverpool identify weaknesses in their squad and go and find the best player for their needs regardless of who they play for - they are happy to buy an unheralded player because he has the exact attributes they need i.e. Robertson rather than spunking 50m on a flavour of the month type of signing from Spain.

Liverpool will spend big but only once they are as sure as they can be that the player they are after is the very best option available for their needs.

Yeah, struggling to think of (m)any duds that Klopp has actually signed for Liverpool

Regarding your point, I see a lot of calls for Liverpool to sign a striker to replace Firmino. Whilst I think Firmino may be one position that’ll need replacing in the near future, his role in the team is so specific it’s difficult to find a replacement

And as you say, that’s what’s making Klopp stand out. He’s waiting for the perfect player to arise, rather than just buying for the sake of it

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 23 Nov 2020 13:49

URZZZZ
Stranded

Yeah, struggling to think of (m)any duds that Klopp has actually signed for Liverpool

https://www.lfchistory.net/Transfers/ByManager/28/1

From this list, I'll nominate:

Karius
Solanke
Grujic - don't really know anything about him though, but seeing as he bought him nearly 5 years ago and I've never really heard of him, I'll add him to the list.
Klavan
Adrian - bit of a waste, tbh.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 23 Nov 2020 13:49

URZZZZ
Stranded

Regarding your point, I see a lot of calls for Liverpool to sign a striker to replace Firmino. Whilst I think Firmino may be one position that’ll need replacing in the near future, his role in the team is so specific it’s difficult to find a replacement

And as you say, that’s what’s making Klopp stand out. He’s waiting for the perfect player to arise, rather than just buying for the sake of it

Klopp doesn't recruit the players

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 23 Nov 2020 15:13

I thought the Mighty Reds were good last night and Curtis Jones looked comfortable against what is one of the top 6 sides in the division, especially away from home.

I have to say that Fofana looks a great buy for Leicester, strong in all facets of the game, young but mature and at times a one man defence for Leicester and cost about half the price of the slow coach Maguire..

Poor old Jonny Evans-was never top class but a real trier.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Nov 2020 22:39

URZZZZ
Stranded

Thats precisely Liverpool's transfer strategy. Its a twist on Moneyball. Don't look at the big teams, look at the star players at the teams the next level down, make sure they have the right character and buy according to need. It's how they bought Salah, Firminho and Mane for less than they got for Coutinho.

Yes, they spent big on Van Dyk and Allisson but it was plugging big holes in their first XI. They also manage to get decent money for surplus players. I believe the signing of Jota increased their net spend over the past 5 years by something in the region of 40%.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 24 Nov 2020 09:16

Love how Brobers interjects just to lace the page with some negativity or accusation. I can appreciate it's a tough time right now.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 24 Nov 2020 09:19

From Despair To Where? I believe the signing of Jota increased their net spend over the past 5 years by something in the region of 40%.

Indeed, albeit the way they structured the deals (they pay much of the fees for Jota and Thiago from 2022), their net outlay this season is around zero with the sale of three youth team players (Hoever, Ejaria, Brewster) and Dejan Lovren.

And the best bit is that if Brewster does prove to be the real deal in the next three years, they get him back for a net £10m outlay.

All of this comes second of course in terms of ranking transfer dealings to what was essentially a swap deal of Kevin Stewart for Andy Robertson.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 24 Nov 2020 09:21

Finally, Liverpool have conceded three goals in seven games since Van Dijk's injury. Funny old game.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 24 Nov 2020 09:30

Sanguine
From Despair To Where? I believe the signing of Jota increased their net spend over the past 5 years by something in the region of 40%.

Indeed, albeit the way they structured the deals (they pay much of the fees for Jota and Thiago from 2022), their net outlay this season is around zero with the sale of three youth team players (Hoever, Ejaria, Brewster) and Dejan Lovren.

And the best bit is that if Brewster does prove to be the real deal in the next three years, they get him back for a net £10m outlay.

All of this comes second of course in terms of ranking transfer dealings to what was essentially a swap deal of Kevin Stewart for Andy Robertson.

That was one of the deals I was thinking of but couldn't remember the player who went to Hull. Solanke's the other one. Bought for £3m, does fcuk all, sell for £20m, still does fcuk all and now playing a league below.

8637 posts