by Simmops » 21 Jan 2021 21:52

LOLOLOLOL

They could be 7th if Spurs and Everton win their games in hand

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: LOLiverpooLOL - Next Season

by URZZZZ » 21 Jan 2021 22:03

Psychology and momentum are a huge thing in football

They’ll recover from this but it could be too little too late for a title run if they don’t get their act together soon

Their whole team at the moment are poor admittedly but I really don’t understand why Chamberlain still gets game time, such a limited player

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Jan 2021 22:10

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 21 Jan 2021 22:19

Sanguine
BR0B0T also not sure you understand how football rivalry works.

Oh I get it, just you two must have 100 years between you, but I feel like I'm watching DD argue with Royalee.

Oof

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 21 Jan 2021 23:32

Whatever happened to Royalee?

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 22 Jan 2021 08:33

Time for Klopp to go?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 22 Jan 2021 08:33

URZZZZ Psychology and momentum are a huge thing in football

They’ll recover from this but it could be too little too late for a title run if they don’t get their act together soon

Their whole team at the moment are poor admittedly but I really don’t understand why Chamberlain still gets game time, such a limited player

Yep, they'll turn it around, the players and Klopp are too good not to, but as Klopp suggested last night, possibly seven points behind City, they might need to win every game to take the title.

Nick Pope was excellent again last night. It's really hard to stomach Southgate preferring Pickford just because his kicking is a bit fancier.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 22 Jan 2021 08:38

lost the dressing room

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 22 Jan 2021 08:49

Winston Biscuit lost the dressing room

do you think the board will back him?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 22 Jan 2021 08:52

Can't pretend to understand the club's finances, but there are rumours that FSG's wallet is slammed so firmly shut that it isn't just stopping Klopp adding to the squad, but also from offering Wijnaldum the contract he thinks he deserves.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 22 Jan 2021 09:25

Definitely CIteh's title to lose now, although Leicester might have a sniff

Liverpool look knackered

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 22 Jan 2021 09:28

Sanguine
URZZZZ Psychology and momentum are a huge thing in football

Yep, they'll turn it around, the players and Klopp are too good not to, but as Klopp suggested last night, possibly seven points behind City, they might need to win every game to take the title.

Nick Pope was excellent again last night. It's really hard to stomach Southgate preferring Pickford just because his kicking is a bit fancier.

I’m still far from convinced on City. Albeit they’re on a very good run but also with a pretty favourable run in recently, and that’s with West Brom and Sheffield United next two games. They haven’t won a game yet against any other team in the top 7 which is a pretty poor record and IIRC they have most of those games all in a row

Agreed with Pope - Burnley have conceded 22 goals in 18 games, a fairly decent record in itself but going further into the stats, 15 of those 22 goals have been in 4 games (Leicester, Newcastle, City and Chelsea), leaving just 7 goals conceded in the other 14 games. Share similar thoughts with Tarkowski/Mee at CB too, think they should be in the England set up but because of the way they play, they’re constantly overlooked even if they’re two of the better defenders

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 Jan 2021 11:30

Pepe the Horseman Whatever happened to Royalee?

I'm sure someone mentioned on AE the other day he was posting as a new poster now, but I'm not 100% sure.

EDIT - looking back on the search, it looks like Royalee was OMA :o

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 22 Jan 2021 12:20

Since Van Dijk's injury the stats show that Liverpool defensively have been fine.
What the stas don't show is that it has meant (on top of other injuries) the balance of the side has been interrupted leading to ineffectiveness in other areas of the pitch.

Fabinho and Henderson are the driving forces in midfield with up and back movement, closing down and most importantly both are strong tacklers but unfortunately they haven't been paired together in central midfield for ages.

Other midfielders possess other assets but none are as strong as these two so whereas they would often win back possession and release the front 3 quickly the pace of attacks has slowed down considerably.
What then happens it that the opposition, be that Newcastle or Man Utd, fills the penalty area with bodies and crowds out Liverpool's attackers who are at their best playing intricate stuff in the box.
When they break at pace the opposition has less time to organise and there is just more space for the front 3 to do their stuff.

They have managed to succeed and play well against Leicester, Palace and Wolves because they have been given this space to play but the likes of West Brom, Newcastle, Man Utd and now Burnley have sat back in numbers and crowded the penalty area, stifling attacking play.

For the time being it looks as though the Fabinho/Henderson partnership in midfield won't be happening so they will have to find another way.
I think that injuries to Jota and others not being on top form have made a difference but IMHO this is the main reason why Liverpool have struggled to score.

Personally I wish Klopp had persevered with the two youngsters at the back, risking giving away a few more goals ,but with the duo back together in midfield they might well have won some of these games 4-3 rather than having 0-0, 1-1 or 0-1.

It's easy to say things on a football website but Klopp has done so well in being brave I think he has become a bit too cautious ,brought on of course by many more injuries than might be expected.
Now that they are chasing rather than leading I hope he reverts to type, a type that has served Liverpool and Dortmund so well. inputting attack first.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 22 Jan 2021 12:47

South Coast Royal Since Van Dijk's injury the stats show that Liverpool defensively have been fine.
What the stas don't show is that it has meant (on top of other injuries) the balance of the side has been interrupted leading to ineffectiveness in other areas of the pitch.

Fabinho and Henderson are the driving forces in midfield with up and back movement, closing down and most importantly both are strong tacklers but unfortunately they haven't been paired together in central midfield for ages.

Other midfielders possess other assets but none are as strong as these two so whereas they would often win back possession and release the front 3 quickly the pace of attacks has slowed down considerably.
What then happens it that the opposition, be that Newcastle or Man Utd, fills the penalty area with bodies and crowds out Liverpool's attackers who are at their best playing intricate stuff in the box.
When they break at pace the opposition has less time to organise and there is just more space for the front 3 to do their stuff.

They have managed to succeed and play well against Leicester, Palace and Wolves because they have been given this space to play but the likes of West Brom, Newcastle, Man Utd and now Burnley have sat back in numbers and crowded the penalty area, stifling attacking play.

For the time being it looks as though the Fabinho/Henderson partnership in midfield won't be happening so they will have to find another way.
I think that injuries to Jota and others not being on top form have made a difference but IMHO this is the main reason why Liverpool have struggled to score.

Personally I wish Klopp had persevered with the two youngsters at the back, risking giving away a few more goals ,but with the duo back together in midfield they might well have won some of these games 4-3 rather than having 0-0, 1-1 or 0-1.

It's easy to say things on a football website but Klopp has done so well in being brave I think he has become a bit too cautious ,brought on of course by many more injuries than might be expected.
Now that they are chasing rather than leading I hope he reverts to type, a type that has served Liverpool and Dortmund so well. inputting attack first.

possibly agree with a lot of that but there are so many variables it's difficult to know why performance has dropped off

Can simply be mean reversion or elements of luck (e.g. Origi shot is about 3 inches lower)

Do agree on missing Henderson and Fabinho from your midfield and how it affects your team dynamic. I watched a couple of Redmen tv things recently as they know they're stuff and are pretty funny. This is something they were discussing

As I mentioned earlier in the year there were claims about caffeine overdosing & inhalers. This year would be the year when they would have to cycle off

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 22 Jan 2021 13:03

Didn't we already agree that was so much bullshit though?

Missing Virgil not only means pissing about with formations, it also takes away a massive threat at corners, which might have helped in this barren run

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 22 Jan 2021 14:21

Silver Fox Didn't we already agree that was so much bullshit though?

Missing Virgil not only means pissing about with formations, it also takes away a massive threat at corners, which might have helped in this barren run

Last 36 corners have produced one effort on goal, apparently.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 22 Jan 2021 18:33

Just had an email from a work colleague (albeit a Chelsea supporter) ending with :

What's going to happen first :
Lockdown in England lifted
Liverpool score a goal

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 22 Jan 2021 18:44

One man team :?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 22 Jan 2021 19:40

BR0B0T

One man team :?

To be fair, losing 3 quality CB's would hurt most teams

8640 posts