LOLiverpooLOL - Next Season

8632 posts
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: LOLiverpooLOL - Next Season

by Hendo » 28 Apr 2021 12:17

Sanguine Yep, we get a 5th Champions League spot if Chelsea win it and finish outside of the PL top four. There's a nightmare scenario for Liverpool or the 4th-placed finisher though. If Chelsea win the Champions League and Arsenal win the Europa League, and both finish outside of the top four in the PL, our 5 Champions League spots are used up, meaning the 4th-placed PL team enters the Europa League.

Lets be realistic for a sec... :wink:

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Apr 2021 12:21

Hendo
Sanguine Yep, we get a 5th Champions League spot if Chelsea win it and finish outside of the PL top four. There's a nightmare scenario for Liverpool or the 4th-placed finisher though. If Chelsea win the Champions League and Arsenal win the Europa League, and both finish outside of the top four in the PL, our 5 Champions League spots are used up, meaning the 4th-placed PL team enters the Europa League.

Lets be realistic for a sec... :wink:

Can see a Roma Arsenal final although I'm sure Emery will be desperate to knock out his old club

Ole has been in charge of United for two and a half seasons now and has been knocked out in the semi final I believe four times already, without getting through to the final once

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 14 May 2021 08:35

Incredibly after their dip in form, last night's win, coupled with Arsenal defeating Chelsea, means Champions League football is back in Liverpool's hands. If they win their remaining three games, they'll have 69 points - which would be enough, because Leicester and Chelsea need to play each other. If Chelsea beat Leicester, then they can reach 70 points, but Leicester only 69. Their goal difference is one better than Liverpool's as it stands, which you would expect to change with a defeat vs. Liverpool's three wins.

That being said, Liverpool's final three games are WBA (a), Burnley (a) and Palace (h), which looks decent on paper - probably means they'll lose one or two of them.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 14 May 2021 08:39

Don’t like Liverpool, but would prefer them over Chelsea, so, go for it.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 May 2021 11:54

Sanguine Incredibly after their dip in form, last night's win, coupled with Arsenal defeating Chelsea, means Champions League football is back in Liverpool's hands. If they win their remaining three games, they'll have 69 points - which would be enough, because Leicester and Chelsea need to play each other. If Chelsea beat Leicester, then they can reach 70 points, but Leicester only 69. Their goal difference is one better than Liverpool's as it stands, which you would expect to change with a defeat vs. Liverpool's three wins.

That being said, Liverpool's final three games are WBA (a), Burnley (a) and Palace (h), which looks decent on paper - probably means they'll lose one or two of them.

They were superb last night, barring a shaky first 20 - United (Fred in particular) couldn’t deal with their high press and their use of the ball was much better comparably than in their last few months. Thiago slowly turning his form around, especially playing on the right side (mould of Henderson almost) rather than playing at the base of midfield

Not quite sure I understood Mane’s reaction after the game and Klopp himself didn’t look too pleased - he can’t exactly bemoan the decision to start the game on the bench given his poor recent form

From a Leicester fan POV, wonder if they’d prefer to win the FA Cup or hit the top four instead - ideal for me would be Leicester and Liverpool/West Ham getting top four with Chelsea outside but winning the Champions League - to hit that 5 team quotient

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 14 May 2021 12:59

Dare I say it, as I'm a massive Klopp fan, but if they miss out I think he has to take a good chunk of the blame for his insistence on playing Fabinho at centre back for a couple of months when Phillips/Williams/even Davies have been available. Liverpool have been mostly back to their old selves since Fabinho moved back to midfield (and in his role obviously one of the best in the world) and that in turn has allowed Thiago to play on the right side of the diamond where he is most effective, rather than always collecting the ball from deep.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 14 May 2021 13:00

And yeah, Mane's reaction was petulant. He has been off for a few months. Maybe his mind is on Madrid. Klopp's answer was interesting - that he'd normally sit down with a player and explain if his role was going to change, but that he hadn't had a chance ahead of this game, i.e. Mane being benched surprised the player.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 May 2021 14:00

URZZZZ
Sanguine Incredibly after their dip in form, last night's win, coupled with Arsenal defeating Chelsea, means Champions League football is back in Liverpool's hands. If they win their remaining three games, they'll have 69 points - which would be enough, because Leicester and Chelsea need to play each other. If Chelsea beat Leicester, then they can reach 70 points, but Leicester only 69. Their goal difference is one better than Liverpool's as it stands, which you would expect to change with a defeat vs. Liverpool's three wins.

They were superb last night, barring a shaky first 20 - United (Fred in particular) couldn’t deal with their high press and their use of the ball was much better comparably than in their last few months. Thiago slowly turning his form around, especially playing on the right side (mould of Henderson almost) rather than playing at the base of midfield

Not quite sure I understood Mane’s reaction after the game and Klopp himself didn’t look too pleased - he can’t exactly bemoan the decision to start the game on the bench given his poor recent form

From a Leicester fan POV, wonder if they’d prefer to win the FA Cup or hit the top four instead - ideal for me would be Leicester and Liverpool/West Ham getting top four with Chelsea outside but winning the Champions League - to hit that 5 team quotient

Will be very interesting to see how Leicester and Chelsea line up tomorrow given their game on Tuesday could potentially be seen as the bigger game. Winner of that guarantees CL football next year but silverware is silverware.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 14 May 2021 14:17

Not strictly true, only Leicester will clinch CL with a W

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 16 May 2021 18:34

Alisson!! :shock: :lol:

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 16 May 2021 18:53

Winston Biscuit Alisson!! :shock: :lol:

Superb interview too.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 16 May 2021 19:51

it's a good story and I kind of don't begrudge them top4 now but obvs hope they fcuk it up

reminded me a little of Adam F equalizing when his folks were over visiting

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 16 May 2021 19:52

Pity that West Brom were denied a fair fight.

If the referee 'intervenes' the restart must be a dropped ball. Given that the restart was illegal, all that happened after it should have been void - i.e. no goal.
If the ball had been moving it would have been brought back by VAR (see Kane's quick free-kick earlier in the season that was checked for more than a minute to see if the ball was moving)

Don't think I understand the offside goal but I'm so far out of touch with the laws regarding offside that I don;t think I can be surprised

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 16 May 2021 19:54

BR0B0T

it's a good story and I kind of don't begrudge them top4 now but obvs hope they fcuk it up

v Cardiff...those fukkas were miserable Welsh fukkas...on a Boxing Day too.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 16 May 2021 20:04

AthleticoSpizz
BR0B0T

v Cardiff...those fukkas were miserable Welsh fukkas...on a Boxing Day too.

what year was that...I was in the UK visiting for the holidays so guessing '08 or '09

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 16 May 2021 20:08

2008...I was just a mere child back then

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 16 May 2021 21:02

Lol. As if that actually happened. Ridiculous. Football is brilliant.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 May 2021 10:31

Franchise FC Pity that West Brom were denied a fair fight.

If the referee 'intervenes' the restart must be a dropped ball. Given that the restart was illegal, all that happened after it should have been void - i.e. no goal.
If the ball had been moving it would have been brought back by VAR (see Kane's quick free-kick earlier in the season that was checked for more than a minute to see if the ball was moving)

Don't think I understand the offside goal but I'm so far out of touch with the laws regarding offside that I don;t think I can be surprised

Offside was the right call. A WBA player was offside and completely blocking the view of Alisson. If he had been a couple of yards right or left, would have been fine. You can't be offside and affect an opposition player negatively as a result.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 17 May 2021 10:36

Stranded
Franchise FC Pity that West Brom were denied a fair fight.

Offside was the right call. A WBA player was offside and completely blocking the view of Alisson. If he had been a couple of yards right or left, would have been fine. You can't be offside and affect an opposition player negatively as a result.

And the drop ball ..... ?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 17 May 2021 10:39

I am not convinced they will beat Burnley tbh (right click, save)

8632 posts