LOLiverpooLOL - Next Season

8646 posts
Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: LOLiverpooLOL - Next Season

by Franchise FC » 08 Mar 2021 14:09

Zammo I thought Claudio Ranieri had a job for a life at Leicester after they won the Prem, so Klopp certainly isn't safe. Whilst that Champions League/Premier League first XI picks itself, some of their recent squad signings have been baffling.

I seem to recall that part of the recruitment issue is the owners are not keen to splash large amounts.
If so, they seem to have been conditioned that they can sell one and buy a whole team with the proceeds, so no need to supply funds

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 08 Mar 2021 14:10

They'll be fine next year when they get back on the PED's and Starbucks is open etc

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 08 Mar 2021 15:44

Zammo I thought Claudio Ranieri had a job for a life at Leicester after they won the Prem, so Klopp certainly isn't safe. Whilst that Champions League/Premier League first XI picks itself, some of their recent squad signings have been baffling.

they have just bought ordinary, in danger of an overhaul meaning they will be back to square one again.

Where as City, will win the league at a canter and just buy the one player in Haaland next season to strengthen what they have and be stronger for a number of years.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 08 Mar 2021 15:49

Echoes of Reading (only small ones admittedly) - owners not willing to invest to build on success. If everyone was fit, then 8 of their current starting XI would the same as that which started against Real Madrid in the 2018 CL Final (Karius, Lovren and Milner dropping out). And that game highlights Liverpool's relative inaction in the transfer market since, with Alisson the only (albeit significant) upgrade. And to emphasise it further, no-one who was a substitute that night is still at the club - in essence, all of Liverpool's signings since except the goalkeeper have been bench players.

The result of all this will be a complete rebuild, and from the Europa League, or potentially without European football at all. The bigger impact is that where six months ago Liverpool were genuine front-runners to land Mbappe, they now won't get close, because Mbappe, or indeed any top player, is going nowhere near Anfield if the club aren't in Europe.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 09 Mar 2021 00:22

L.L.L.L.L.L.F.C 8)

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 09 Mar 2021 09:38

BR0B0T L.L.L.L.L.L.F.C 8)

Do you not have someone you can run your posts by before submitting>

:P

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 09 Mar 2021 09:57

I did enjoy this one, which was doing the rounds on twitter:

"Hey Jurgen, how many games have Liverpool lost in a row at home?"

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Mar 2021 22:02

Looked so much better with Fabinho in midfield, dominated it, need to stick with it now!

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 11 Mar 2021 06:54

URZZZZ Looked so much better with Fabinho in midfield, dominated it, need to stick with it now!

I think this is what we’ve all been saying for moths about losing the defence AND the midfield

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 11 Mar 2021 10:42

Great perfomance again against the second best team in Germany.
Perhaps the writing-off of Klopp and his players was a bit premature from the usual envious suspects on here and elsewhere.

It probably could have been 5 or 6 but best to save a few for another day.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 11 Mar 2021 10:53

Perhaps they should ditch Anfield rather than Klopp and play all their home games in Budapest.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 11 Mar 2021 11:14

Going to win the CL.

7 times YNWA 8)

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 11 Mar 2021 12:10

Vision Perhaps they should ditch Anfield rather than Klopp and play all their home games in Budapest.

It certainly has brought out the best in them.
Perhaps playing in the Puskas stadium has been inspirational.

It made me check on Hungary in 1954 when they were arguably the best team in the world.
In that world cup they scored 8 against Germany in the group stages but lost to them 3-1 in the final.
To get to that final they beat:-
South Korea 9-0
West Germany 8-3
Brazil 4-2
Uruguay 4-2

That result in the final caused a turnaround in the hierarchy of world football with West Germany (and later just Germany) going on to be regularly amongst the best even to this day and Hungary just fading away having been the first foreign side (IIRC) to beat England at Wembley.

I did see Puskas (onTV) playing for Real Madrid when they beat Eintracht Frankfurt 7-3 in the European Cup final and that team was something else.
That game was played in front of a crowd of 135,000 and the cheapest admittance was 25p.
Have just rewatched that game -the players were super fit with hardly any stoppages and whereas the keepers weren't very good and the defenders not brilliantly organised the skill of the forward and midfield players stands the test of time well.

Thanks vision for (inadvertently) sending me down memory lane to the days before football was invented with the start of the Premier League. :wink:

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 11 Mar 2021 12:43

It pissed down on the day of the 1954 final. West Germany adapted to the conditions, Hungary didn't. It easy to forget how big a shock it was as West German football was regionalised and amateur until the creation of the Bundesliga in 1963.

Hungary's fall from grace was partly caused by the defection of their star players in the aftermath of the 1956 Hungarian Uprising, who were then banned by FIFA, for up to 2 years in some cases and then banned by the Hungarian FA from playing for the national team.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 11 Mar 2021 14:58

From Despair To Where? It pissed down on the day of the 1954 final. West Germany adapted to the conditions, Hungary didn't. It easy to forget how big a shock it was as West German football was regionalised and amateur until the creation of the Bundesliga in 1963.

Hungary's fall from grace was partly caused by the defection of their star players in the aftermath of the 1956 Hungarian Uprising, who were then banned by FIFA, for up to 2 years in some cases and then banned by the Hungarian FA from playing for the national team.

Will have to monitor for future world cup final day weather to see if there is or has been a trend but we had a lot of rain the day before and in the morning of the 1966 World Cup but there again that was England in July -I doubt that there will be such a problem in Qatar.

The reason that I remember the weather in 1966 is that our cricket was called off so , but for the weather, all those that play cricket would have missed the one and only time that we ever win a world.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 Mar 2021 23:12

Franchise FC
URZZZZ Looked so much better with Fabinho in midfield, dominated it, need to stick with it now!

I think this is what we’ve all been saying for moths about losing the defence AND the midfield

Yeah, it was strange from Klopp to keep persisting with Fabinho there, he had the reason of no defenders before January but that didn’t hold true after, can see them picking it up again now

Feel that the midfield balance is somewhat overlooked by some managers in general - IMO a real important feature of a successful team

Obvious example of us last year, had the technical players in midfield but not enough grafters and our form was poor for quite a large portion of last season - the simple addition of Laurent (whilst not being the only change) has changed our whole complex

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Mar 2021 08:46

Give me a good midfield workhorse over a show pony every day of the week.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 12 Mar 2021 11:08

Snowflake Royal Give me a good midfield workhorse over a show pony every day of the week.

Yep. Which is why we should sell Ejaria and sign Harry Arter

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 12 Mar 2021 11:47

John Smith
Snowflake Royal Give me a good midfield workhorse over a show pony every day of the week.

How do you feel this gimmick is working out for you?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Mar 2021 15:15

Orion1871
John Smith

How do you feel this gimmick is working out for you?

Not sure what you’re on about, it’s comedy gold :?

8646 posts