When Scotland Play

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

When Scotland Play

by AthleticoSpizz » 28 Mar 2011 03:02

Watching a bit of the game today, and hearing the bagpipes scurlling away in the background, a trivial thought came to my head.

Do the old firm supporters (the ones that normally chase eachother around Glasgow with swords) join ranks for their national team?

Or do they maintain an uneasy stand-off, and peace reigns at different pockets within the ground?

Especially pertinent when they play abroad and are hugely outnumbered..............yet all seem to come together as one

............there never seems to be any reports of sectarian inboard violence after their national games

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

Re: When Scotland Play

by gazzer, loyal royal » 28 Mar 2011 03:10

If there is any club violence while away with Scotland you lose your SFA membership.

Simples really

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 28 Mar 2011 03:35

Don't know about Scotland but in Wales the was a history of Swansea fans not supporting the national team because they were perceived to be a Cardiff team, but over recent years a lot of work has gone into breaking this down and amongst those who travel all hatchets are buried when supporting Wales.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 28 Mar 2011 04:06

I would have thought many Celtic supporters consider themselves Irish?

Toon Toon Blue army

by Toon Toon Blue army » 28 Mar 2011 04:11

Jerry St Clair I would have thought many Celtic supporters consider themselves Irish?

This.

AndyRFC
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by AndyRFC » 28 Mar 2011 05:38

Jerry St Clair I would have thought many Celtic supporters consider themselves Irish?

Very much so.

If I was Scottish I could'nt even accept any of their players being in a team I supported.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 28 Mar 2011 12:51

So, anyway why weren't Scotland playing Brazil in Scotland?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 28 Mar 2011 13:24

Barry the bird boggler So, anyway why weren't Scotland playing Brazil in Scotland?

Wasn't it Brazils 'home' game? They play a load of European friendlies to cut down on the travelling for their European based stars. It's not the first time they've played there, but you do wonder why they picked Scotland to play.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 28 Mar 2011 15:00

As I understand it, the scottish national team generate very little support from Rangers and Celtic fans.

I find the media's love of scottish fans slightly irksome. Allegations of racism? No, we don't there's any truth in that whatsoever. If it was England fans, it would be wall to wall phone ins, a pious Nicky Campbell and an assumption of guilt.

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 28 Mar 2011 15:47

Brazil have played at Emirates Stadium every year since it opened. It's like Hoop Blah says, to cut down on traveling costs.

They probably invited Scotland for commercial reasons.

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 28 Mar 2011 16:17

AndyRFC

Very much so.

If I was Scottish I could'nt even accept any of their players being in a team I supported.

lol

what a progressive attitude

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 28 Mar 2011 17:24

I find the idea of being a southern-based Rangers fan as completely bizarre. Unless there's some sort of family link, it is surely borne out of bigotry isn't it?

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 28 Mar 2011 17:51

Schards#2 As I understand it, the scottish national team generate very little support from Rangers and Celtic fans.

I find the media's love of scottish fans slightly irksome. Allegations of racism? No, we don't there's any truth in that whatsoever. If it was England fans, it would be wall to wall phone ins, a pious Nicky Campbell and an assumption of guilt.

the fact the banana came from the section of the crowd which was designated to Brazil fans doesn't come into the question then? having been at the game, the banana was thrown after Neymar decided to re celebrate his goal. It was probably the first thing that came to hand. If it was a racist slur, then surely more than one banana would have been chucked.

In terms of why Scotland played Brazil. Scotland are in a group with less teams than the other groups, so will have a free weekend when international qualifiers are on. Here's hoping for Brazil v Spain when Spain have their free weekend.

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 28 Mar 2011 18:19

gazzer, loyal royal
Schards#2 As I understand it, the scottish national team generate very little support from Rangers and Celtic fans.

In terms of why Scotland played Brazil. Scotland are in a group with less teams than the other groups, so will have a free weekend when international qualifiers are on. Here's hoping for Brazil v Spain when Spain have their free weekend.

I'm hoping next year it's Brazil v Germany, I'd quite like to go to that.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 28 Mar 2011 19:34

As mentioned Celtic fans support Ireland. I used to have a Rangers fan as a lodger in my old place and he was a Scotland fan through and through.
Wasn't Neil Lennon sent death threats if he played for Northern Ireland?

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 28 Mar 2011 19:39

Are you just envious of the fact that the press seem to have an opinion of innocent until proven guilty with the Tartan army due to the fact that they have not been involved in any trouble for 35+ years

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 28 Mar 2011 19:42

I used to work with a Rangers STH. He said - he has lots of Celtic supporting m8s and come Old Firm day, they might kick the crap out of each other, but then would be m8s again the following day.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 28 Mar 2011 21:00

One of the last games I saw in Scotland was back in 1991 when St Johnstone lost 2-0 to Dundee Utd in the Scottish Cup semi final at East End Park. Walking up the Halbeath Rd, both sets of fans mingling and mixing without any sort of animosity and hatred. Inside the ground? 90 mnutes of verbals and vitriol. Violence inside and outside the ground? None whatsoever.

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 29 Mar 2011 10:13

Terminal Boardom One of the last games I saw in Scotland was back in 1991 when St Johnstone lost 2-0 to Dundee Utd in the Scottish Cup semi final at East End Park. Walking up the Halbeath Rd, both sets of fans mingling and mixing without any sort of animosity and hatred. Inside the ground? 90 mnutes of verbals and vitriol. Violence inside and outside the ground? None whatsoever.

To be fair whilst Saints have a local rivalry with Dundee Utd its not one that has really been much of an issue as the fans of both teams seem to unite with their hatred of Scumdee. However I would say that scene is not too different to the majority of grounds in the UK.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 29 Mar 2011 13:11

bigmike
Terminal Boardom One of the last games I saw in Scotland was back in 1991 when St Johnstone lost 2-0 to Dundee Utd in the Scottish Cup semi final at East End Park. Walking up the Halbeath Rd, both sets of fans mingling and mixing without any sort of animosity and hatred. Inside the ground? 90 mnutes of verbals and vitriol. Violence inside and outside the ground? None whatsoever.

To be fair whilst Saints have a local rivalry with Dundee Utd its not one that has really been much of an issue as the fans of both teams seem to unite with their hatred of Scumdee. However I would say that scene is not too different to the majority of grounds in the UK.

But this was 20 years ago!