The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

8673 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

by URZZZZ » 06 Nov 2019 12:27

stealthpapes
URZZZZ I’d love to see Brian get another go as a manager. He’s been treated awfully in his short career so far with two muppets for a chairman (Leeds guy - forgot his name and Zingarevich)

BMcD got sacked twice from Leeds as well, iirc.

EDIT - yeah, but the full text is remarkable.

On 3 February, McDermott returned to the club and carried out first team training and a press conference announcing he had been reinstated after seemingly being sacked on 31 January by a lawyer. McDermott proclaimed his love for the club and said the fans support for him in the 5–1 win against Huddersfield Town meant that he wanted to return to the role despite the uncertainty. Speculation over his long-term future remained with the prospective takeover by Massimo Cellino still to be approved by the Football League.[51][52]

McDermott also revealed in his press conference that prospective new Head Coach Gianluca Festa had changed the starting line-up he had picked on 31 January for the fixture the following day against Huddersfield Town, only for the team to then be changed back again to the original starting line-up on Saturday by McDermott's assistant manager Nigel Gibbs. McDermott also revealed that on 3 February Festa was still present in training, however, this time acting as a translator for new signing Andrea Tabanelli. Tabanelli was signed in between the window of McDermott's 'sacking' and his reinstatement. McDermott revealed that the move was under scrutiny by the Football League as to see if the players signed would be sanctioned.[52]

After Leeds finished the season in a disappointing 15th place, On 14 May, in an interview with ITV, President Massimo Cellino questioned McDermott's decision to take a holiday, even proclaiming the club 'have no manager', and asked 'who's managing this club?' Brian, where's Brian?'.[56] On the same day it was revealed that the retain and release list of players would be handled by Massimo Cellino and Benito Carbone and not McDermott, the academy players decision would be made by Neil Redfearn.[57] On 15 May, Leeds confirmed Benito Carbone's position at the club in a statement on the club's official website on 15 May, they confirmed that Carbone 'will be involved with all football matters, including both the first team and the Academy'.[58]

On 30 May 2014, Brian McDermott and Leeds United parted company, with owner Massimo Cellino stating that he wanted a fresh approach, with a head coach rather than a manager.[6] On 16 June, McDermott was succeeded as Leeds Manager by Dave Hockaday who took up the role in a Head Coach capacity.[59]

:shock:

Cellino really was a nutcase. Funny though, screwed up Leeds for a good few seasons. Although obviously feel for Brian, one of the nicest guys in football working with someone like that behind the scenes

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 06 Nov 2019 12:30

Sanguine Favourite to be new Bayern manager is Arsene Wenger?! :shock:

I'm sure I heard him say the he was looking to get back into management and it is probably a safe bet in the short run for both teams.

I would've thought the RB Leipzig manager was in their sights in the long run.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 06 Nov 2019 12:39

4 ex Reading FC managers in the top 10 betting to be next Stoke City Manager :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 06 Nov 2019 12:41

paultheroyal 4 ex Reading FC managers in the top 10 betting to be next Stoke City Manager :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

I haven't seen so I am guessing:

- Jose
- Stam
- Clement
- Pardew

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 06 Nov 2019 12:42

Hendo
paultheroyal 4 ex Reading FC managers in the top 10 betting to be next Stoke City Manager :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

- Jose
- Stam
- Clement
- Pardew

50% lol.

Jose, Pardew, Gomes, Clarke

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 06 Nov 2019 12:43

paultheroyal
Hendo

- Jose
- Stam
- Clement
- Pardew

50% lol.

:?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Nov 2019 12:44

Imagine Clarke giving up the national job to go to Stoke. Would be the biggest kick in the teeth to Scottish football of all time.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 06 Nov 2019 12:51

Hendo
paultheroyal
Hendo

- Jose
- Stam
- Clement
- Pardew

50% lol.

What an utter buffoon - i have had a mare here lol...

Jose, Pardew, Clarke and... Adkins!

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 06 Nov 2019 12:53

paultheroyal
Hendo
paultheroyal
50% lol.

What an utter buffoon - i have had a mare here lol...

Jose, Pardew, Clarke and... Adkins!

:lol:

Interesting one, out of those, I'd give it to Adkins, based the turnaround he oversaw at Hull last year.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 06 Nov 2019 15:42

depends on the criteria of the job really,

If handsomeness comes into though then Jose has it in the bag

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 07 Nov 2019 11:57

Stoke make approach for NI manager Martin O'Neill.

I'd be surprised if he left as it seems he has a good thing going on there.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Nov 2019 12:04

Hendo Stoke make approach for NI manager Martin O'Neill.

Martin............ :|

Finally managed to catch you out making an error! Only taken 2 years :D

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 07 Nov 2019 12:44

Old Man Andrews
Hendo Stoke make approach for NI manager Martin O'Neill.

Martin............ :|

Finally managed to catch you out making an error! Only taken 2 years :D

Martin/Michael, all the same to me!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Nov 2019 13:10

Stoke fans not too impressed looking at their boards. Worried they are going down the Sunderland route of firing a manager and then turning to a relatively successful international manager to fix the problems when they aren't used to day to day management any more.

Good record at Shamrock Rovers, took them to the Europa League group stages (first time for an Irish side) but that was 8 years ago. Only other club job was Brechin City.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Nov 2019 13:15

He isn't worth the risk. If I were them I'd get Pulis in just to get them out of the hole they are in. Reckon he'd keep them up. Next summer look to someone like MICHAEL O'Niell or a Gareth Ainsworth to start again.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Nov 2019 13:18

Stranded Stoke fans not too impressed looking at their boards. Worried they are going down the Sunderland route of firing a manager and then turning to a relatively successful international manager to fix the problems when they aren't used to day to day management any more.

Good record at Shamrock Rovers, took them to the Europa League group stages (first time for an Irish side) but that was 8 years ago. Only other club job was Brechin City.

Let’s not forget Michael’s also an ex Reading loanee so Stoke appear desperate for that Reading connection. Shame Parky’s already been snapped up.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 08 Nov 2019 01:44

Sutekh
Stranded Stoke fans not too impressed looking at their boards. Worried they are going down the Sunderland route of firing a manager and then turning to a relatively successful international manager to fix the problems when they aren't used to day to day management any more.

Let’s not forget Michael’s also an ex Reading loanee so Stoke appear desperate for that Reading connection. Shame Parky’s already been snapped up.

Yes I remember him playing for us. He was fcuking shit.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Nov 2019 07:48

Seems Michael O'Neill to Stoke is a done deal. He will takeover next week and also take control of the two upcoming NI qualifiers.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 11 Nov 2019 17:17

Colin departs Cardiff

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 Nov 2019 17:21

Uke Colin departs Cardiff

Looks like the Cardiff fans are happy to see him go, but with a good sentiment - realising it is time for someone new but acknowledging what he did for them.

8673 posts