The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

8688 posts
Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

by Simmops » 14 Nov 2020 20:18

Pepe the Horseman
Simmops
Pepe the Horseman Every time I've heard him speak he's come across as thick as shit. Apologies if you know him personally and that's not the case, but I imagine he may find it difficult to articulate his ideas to his players.

Football brain wise he is excellent. Im sure he would make a good coach

Agree he's got a great football brain, but I don't think he's got the communication skills to go with it. We'll probably find out soon anyway.

Tbf I didn't think Gerrard would either (maybe its the accent) but they'll be respected enough to do that, especially Rooney. Players would love to play under him and he was the key player under Britain's most successful manager ever so he probably knows a thing or 2.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 14 Nov 2020 21:49

Simmops
From Despair To Where?
Simmops For me success = trophies or consistency at the top.

So basically, only the managers of the Big 6 can ever be successful?

Success is relative to each individual club.

I'd hate to have Pulis here but I reckon he'd make us hard to beat.

Not the top 6 but others such as Ranieri for Leicester obv, the obvious names, maybe poch for getting spurs into the CL final counts as a success for their team. But that is relevant to their team.

You don't hear lists of the most successful managers in world football containing Shankley, paisley, Ferguson, wenger and Pulis

So a manager is only successful if they win something? No-one was talking about success in an absolute global sense. The argument is that the managers listed have been consistantly successful at getting teams to perform above themselves. For anyone outside the Top 6, that is success and is why managers like Pulis, Moyes and Warnock will continue to get work as long as they want it.

Of all the domestic competitions since 2010, 29 of 33 have been won by one of the 5 big clubs and only 1 in the last 7 years and the 2013 League Cup final is the only one that didn't involve any of those 5.

Everyone else is an also ran. Being a successful manager is always relative.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 14 Nov 2020 22:29

From Despair To Where?
Simmops
From Despair To Where?
So basically, only the managers of the Big 6 can ever be successful?

Success is relative to each individual club.

I'd hate to have Pulis here but I reckon he'd make us hard to beat.

Not the top 6 but others such as Ranieri for Leicester obv, the obvious names, maybe poch for getting spurs into the CL final counts as a success for their team. But that is relevant to their team.

You don't hear lists of the most successful managers in world football containing Shankley, paisley, Ferguson, wenger and Pulis

So a manager is only successful if they win something? No-one was talking about success in an absolute global sense. The argument is that the managers listed have been consistantly successful at getting teams to perform above themselves. For anyone outside the Top 6, that is success and is why managers like Pulis, Moyes and Warnock will continue to get work as long as they want it.

Of all the domestic competitions since 2010, 29 of 33 have been won by one of the 5 big clubs and only 1 in the last 7 years and the 2013 League Cup final is the only one that didn't involve any of those 5.

Everyone else is an also ran. Being a successful manager is always relative.

I get what you are saying, that they are good at their jobs of keeping teams up. I just don't think they are successful in the sense of being a top tier manager and taking a team to the next level.

Take Everton for example. They have now a world class and successful manager and they've completely been transformed.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 15 Nov 2020 07:04

Sunderland fans aren't happy with Parky.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 15 Nov 2020 07:19

JT also being linked with the Derby job. Could we see a JT/WR dream* team? Terry as manager with Rooney as number two.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 15 Nov 2020 08:10

Pretty mad that players we idolised in the Prem 7 6 5 years ago are now managers.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 15 Nov 2020 09:05

Simmops Pretty mad that players we idolised in the Prem 7 6 5 years ago are getting parachuted into managerial jobs im the Championship with fcuk all experience.

Corrected for you.

Although to be fair to Terry (Eugh, that gave me the creeps typing that) he has spent 2 years coaching at Villa.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 15 Nov 2020 09:12

From Despair To Where?
Simmops Pretty mad that players we idolised in the Prem 7 6 5 years ago are getting parachuted into managerial jobs im the Championship with fcuk all experience.

Corrected for you.

Although to be fair to Terry (Eugh, that gave me the creeps typing that) he has spent 2 years coaching at Villa.

That may be true, but In gerrard and lampards case you could tell they would be good coaches. They've been around enough to pick things up and probably have had practice behind the scenes with youth players and coaching badges.

I much prefer players like terry, lampard etc as young coaches been given the chance and succeeding rather then the usual lot of coaches we see. Woy Hodgson is the last of a dying breed I fear,

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 15 Nov 2020 09:19

I prefer the Eddie Howe, Dean Smith, Chris Wilder type of manager who pays their managerial dues in the lower leagues and, to be fair, the likes of Pulis, Warnock, Allardyce and Moyes were those type of manager 25 years ago.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 15 Nov 2020 10:35

From Despair To Where? I prefer the Eddie Howe, Dean Smith, Chris Wilder type of manager who pays their managerial dues in the lower leagues and, to be fair, the likes of Pulis, Warnock, Allardyce and Moyes were those type of manager 25 years ago.

Can I dispute that point?

No. You got me.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Nov 2020 11:13

URZZZZ Richie Wellens set to take over at Salford

Wonder if our friend Noel will get the gig at Swindon?

Nope. John Sheridan got the Swondin gig.

Garner gone from Bristol Rovers

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 16 Nov 2020 10:54

Not sure I really buy the need for managers to 'cut their teeth'. Clubs make their own recruitment decisions and certainly in today's leagues if those decisions don't work out, managers get the boot. Guardiola never managed Leganes, I hear he's won a few things. Gerrard is doing a terrific job at Rangers. I think Lampard did just fine at Derby, and is doing well enough at Chelsea. Going back a bit, Ancelotti only did a season at Reggiana before he got a job at Parma managing the likes of Buffon and Cannavaro. I hear he has won a few things too.

Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. I think it's good to have managers of different backgrounds and experience.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 16 Nov 2020 14:34

Sanguine Not sure I really buy the need for managers to 'cut their teeth'. Clubs make their own recruitment decisions and certainly in today's leagues if those decisions don't work out, managers get the boot. Guardiola never managed Leganes, I hear he's won a few things. Gerrard is doing a terrific job at Rangers. I think Lampard did just fine at Derby, and is doing well enough at Chelsea. Going back a bit, Ancelotti only did a season at Reggiana before he got a job at Parma managing the likes of Buffon and Cannavaro. I hear he has won a few things too.

Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. I think it's good to have managers of different backgrounds and experience.

Well, yeah

It’s all about getting someone in who understands the club and their culture and their aims

That may be someone who’s been around “the game” for a while. That may be someone who’s a fresh face to the game

As you allude to, it’s important to note there’s no “general winning formula”. Not a manager with a certain age or a certain nationality or a certain number of years experience in the game

I generally seem to hate the “he’s too inexperienced” or “he’s just a merry go round type” arguments, as they very rarely apply to a situation

Fluff

by Fluff » 29 Nov 2020 17:18

Parky sacked by Sunderland.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 29 Nov 2020 17:49

Fluff Parky sacked by Sunderland.

His CV is consistent...

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 29 Nov 2020 20:54

Uke
Fluff Parky sacked by Sunderland.

His CV is consistent...

Anyone seriously think he would have been good for us.
Would just have tarnished his legend status

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Nov 2020 21:00

My thoughts exactly, loved him as a captain, not as a manager.

Set his stall out too early at Colchester and then Hull....had his head turned £

The mackems would never accept anything less than 2 points per game ave.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 29 Nov 2020 21:13

AthleticoSpizz My thoughts exactly, loved him as a captain, not as a manager.

Set his stall out too early at Colchester and then Hull....had his head turned £

The mackems would never accept anything less than 2 points per game ave.

Have you seen that Sunderland documentary - it's insane? They are probably the worst fans in England (Newcastle possibly)/ They think they're a global footballing super power. Absolute helmets. Keep sacking managers.

On another theme. Arteta looks on shaky ground. Arsenal really have become shit.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 29 Nov 2020 21:21

Arteta next?

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 29 Nov 2020 22:42

windermereROYAL Arteta next?

:lol:

Not a chance