The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

8695 posts
From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

by From Despair To Where? » 30 Nov 2020 09:18

leon
AthleticoSpizz My thoughts exactly, loved him as a captain, not as a manager.

Set his stall out too early at Colchester and then Hull....had his head turned £

The mackems would never accept anything less than 2 points per game ave.

Have you seen that Sunderland documentary - it's insane? They are probably the worst fans in England (Newcastle possibly)/ They think they're a global footballing super power. Absolute helmets. Keep sacking managers.

They're fickle as fcuk though. Unattainable expectations yet flounce the moment the shit hits the fan.i remember about 15 years ago, every week on MOTD, you'd see Makems walking out of the ground after 30 minutes when they conceded a goal. I also remember in 2005 when we beat them up there, they were loud as fcuk whilst they were winning but the moment Kitson put us 2-1 up with 10 minutes to go, the home stands emptied. No "let's get behind the team" They were top of the league at the time.

In one of the Secret Footballer books, he claimed he was offered the chance to get in a consortium to buy Sunderland but said no because nobody in their right mind actually wants to go there unless the offer is too good to turn down because its a shit club in shit town with shit fans, weighed down by its own sense of self importance.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 30 Nov 2020 09:30

Sunderland's treatment of managers makes me wish them league one football for a lot longer.

Parkinson's sacking will no doubt be Reading's loss - with Jon O Shea in the running.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 30 Nov 2020 14:18

paultheroyal Sunderland's treatment of managers makes me wish them league one football for a lot longer.

Parkinson's sacking will no doubt be Reading's loss - with Jon O Shea in the running.

Would that be such a loss?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 30 Nov 2020 14:19

South Coast Royal
paultheroyal Sunderland's treatment of managers makes me wish them league one football for a lot longer.

I think so, 100%.

From what you hear, he is incredibly intelligent, has a good football brain and the players really like him. I'd certainly rather he stayed with us.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 30 Nov 2020 14:27

Hendo
South Coast Royal

I think so, 100%.

From what you hear, he is incredibly intelligent, has a good football brain and the players really like him. I'd certainly rather he stayed with us.

Presumably he played a big part in our defence becoming one of the worst in the country.
He was with us last season as a coach and before that as an irregular player when we were not very good and he earned a cool £1 million for sitting around.

It strikes me that Quinton Fortune may have brought something positive to our set-up but of course we don't know and it might just be that Velcro, Fortune and O'Shea is the right mix so who knows whether he would be any great loss.?.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Nov 2020 14:31

South Coast Royal
Hendo
South Coast Royal

I think so, 100%.

Presumably he played a big part in our defence becoming one of the worst in the country.
He was with us last season as a coach and before that as an irregular player when we were not very good and he earned a cool £1 million for sitting around.

It strikes me that Quinton Fortune may have brought something positive to our set-up but of course we don't know and it might just be that Velcro, Fortune and O'Shea is the right mix so who knows whether he would be any great loss.?.

Clueless.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 30 Nov 2020 14:34

South Coast Royal
Hendo
South Coast Royal

I think so, 100%.

It strikes me that Quentin Fortune may have brought something positive to our set-up but of course we don't know and it might just be that Velcro, Fortune and O'Shea is the right mix so who knows whether he would be any great loss.?.

John O'Shea played 11 games for Reading in his one playing season and we conceded 11 goals while he was on the pitch.

Last season in the league, while he was a coach, we conceded 58 goals in 46 games, which was joint 9th best in the Championship, so not even really close to the worst defence in the country.

I would say he has had a positive impact on the team, as a whole.

EDIT - my post could've been 1 word, as per the above ^^.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 30 Nov 2020 14:47

This is SCR we're talking about. He hates him because he's ex United.

Having the right mix of personalities is important and O'Shea is a good fit. Also he'd be mad to take Sunderland as a first managerial job.

I think Alardyce will get it

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 30 Nov 2020 17:16

From Despair To Where? This is SCR we're talking about. He hates him because he's ex United.

Having the right mix of personalities is important and O'Shea is a good fit. Also he'd be mad to take Sunderland as a first managerial job.

"Hate" is a bit strong-once anybody has nothing to do with that club they are fine by me (e.g. Oliver Norwood). :wink:

Hendo, you somehow forgot the results pre-Millwall when we had just about the worst defensive record in the country over a 5 game period.

As I said previously, none of us knows what or how good an impact an individual person has on the team-if he goes, he goes and I will remember him in part for playing just 11 games for us at nearly £100,000 per game.
BTW who knows whether it was down to him or the coach at the time that we had a reasonable defensive but poor attacking record.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Nov 2020 17:23

South Coast Royal
From Despair To Where? This is SCR we're talking about. He hates him because he's ex United.

"Hate" is a bit strong-once anybody has nothing to do with that club they are fine by me (e.g. Oliver Norwood). :wink:

Hendo, you somehow forgot the results pre-Millwall when we had just about the worst defensive record in the country over a 5 game period.

As I said previously, none of us knows what or how good an impact an individual person has on the team-if he goes, he goes and I will remember him in part for playing just 11 games for us at nearly £100,000 per game.
BTW who knows whether it was down to him or the coach at the time that we had a reasonable defensive but poor attacking record.

Clueless. You always have been and always will be. Go away.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 30 Nov 2020 17:31

South Coast Royal Hendo, you somehow forgot the results pre-Millwall when we had just about the worst defensive record in the country over a 5 game period.

As I said previously, none of us knows what or how good an impact an individual person has on the team

oxf*rd LOL. You're going to pick a 5 game run when we had poor results after only conceding 3 goals in our first 8 games (which was one of the best defensive records, not just in this country, but in Europe!) of the season and accuse me of somehow forgetting something?

I purposely left out this season from the stats as there isn't really enough data to draw a reliable conclusion, seeing as we haven't played everyone at least once yet.

We also do know that the players really enjoy him being part of the set-up and is very well regarded in the group, as I said earlier.

OMA is right, you're clueless and I'm done with this discussion.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 30 Nov 2020 17:41

Hendo
South Coast Royal Hendo, you somehow forgot the results pre-Millwall when we had just about the worst defensive record in the country over a 5 game period.

As I said previously, none of us knows what or how good an impact an individual person has on the team

oxf*rd LOL. You're going to pick a 5 game run when we had poor results after only conceding 3 goals in our first 8 games (which was one of the best defensive records, not just in this country, but in Europe!) of the season and accuse me of somehow forgetting something?

I purposely left out this season from the stats as there isn't really enough data to draw a reliable conclusion, seeing as we haven't played everyone at least once yet.

We also do know that the players really enjoy him being part of the set-up and is very well regarded in the group, as I said earlier.

I'll say it again for clarification-none of us knows if he has been a good influence or not.
Whether the players like him or not is irrelevant and yes, those dreadful performances defensively that led to us losing top spot do have relevance-you can't just pick and choose the best bits.

Anyway is there any evidence that he is being considered by Sunderland after playing such a big personal part in their fall from grace to Div 1 or will they be appointing him because he is such a jolly nice chap?

BTW , a bit naff to side with the most despised poster on HNA who you say (I ignore his rubbish these days) described me as clueless which is rather silly and disrespectful.

Opinions are what are posted on here and just because you have a contrary view doesn't make yours definitive-it's still just an opinion.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Nov 2020 17:45

South Coast Royal
Hendo

I'll say it again for clarification-none of us knows if he has been a good influence or not.
Whether the players like him or not is irrelevant and yes, those dreadful performances defensively that led to us losing top spot do have relevance-you can't just pick and choose the best bits.

Anyway is there any evidence that he is being considered by Sunderland after playing such a big personal part in their fall from grace to Div 1 or will they be appointing him because he is such a jolly nice chap?

BTW , a bit naff to side with the most despised poster on HNA who you say (I ignore his rubbish these days) described me as clueless which is rather silly and disrespectful.

Opinions are what are posted on here and just because you have a contrary view doesn't make yours definitive-it's still just an opinion.

You are clueless, you always have been. You're also petrified of me and refuse to debate or argue which is exactly what you're accusing Hendo of doing. Be a man.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 30 Nov 2020 17:55

South Coast Royal
Hendo

And you can't just pick the worst bits. I'd suggest of bigger relevance was Moore's injury and us not playing a settled back 4 for most of those.

Considering he was brought in by Clement, 3 subsequent managers have seen fit to keep him on in a coaching role. He must have something going for him.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 Nov 2020 18:06

Hendo
South Coast Royal
Hendo
I think so, 100%.

It strikes me that Quentin Fortune may have brought something positive to our set-up but of course we don't know and it might just be that Velcro, Fortune and O'Shea is the right mix so who knows whether he would be any great loss.?.

John O'Shea played 11 games for Reading in his one playing season and we conceded 11 goals while he was on the pitch.

Last season in the league, while he was a coach, we conceded 58 goals in 46 games, which was joint 9th best in the Championship, so not even really close to the worst defence in the country.

I would say he has had a positive impact on the team, as a whole.

EDIT - my post could've been 1 word, as per the above ^^.

Not aimed at anyone in particular but I never understood the hate of O'Shea as a player, as per the stat above you just mentioned

Thought he was a class act for us on the pitch, albeit occasionally exposed by a distinct lack of pace and a poor injury record! But his positioning etc was superb. I do think we should have gone for another CB at that time, but he was no-where near as bad as people made out

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 Nov 2020 18:10

Hendo

If you take out our last two games, and our first eight, we'd have 0 points this season. Quite awful really

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Nov 2020 18:34

URZZZZ
Hendo

If you take out our last two games, and our first eight, we'd have 0 points this season. Quite awful really

If my uncle had a massive gaping fanny he'd be my auntie.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Dec 2020 01:31

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ
Hendo

If my uncle had a massive gaping fanny he'd be my auntie.

You sure about that :?:

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 01 Dec 2020 13:00

local Sunderland rag has listed the top 25 bookies favourites to get the job. John o'shea name is not present

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 01 Dec 2020 14:06

Gus Poyet 1/10 for the Sunderland job.

8695 posts