The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

8695 posts
BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

by BR0B0T » 27 Jan 2021 13:56

From Despair To Where?
South Coast Royal
Pepe the Horseman I'm hoping he ends up at Celtic for a nice rivalry with Stevie G.

They tend still to go for RC managers so I think that rules Fat Frank out.

Of their 12 managers since Tommy Burns, 7 have not been Catholic (incidentally, neither was Jock Stein), 4 have been Catholic (all Northern Irish as well), 2 of which were Neil Lennon, and the other (Billy Stark) had a Protestant father and a Catholic mother.

are you suggesting Vic is talking shite? :wink:

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 27 Jan 2021 14:01

From Despair To Where?
South Coast Royal
Pepe the Horseman I'm hoping he ends up at Celtic for a nice rivalry with Stevie G.

Of their 12 managers since Tommy Burns, 7 have not been Catholic (incidentally, neither was Jock Stein), 4 have been Catholic (all Northern Irish as well), 2 of which were Neil Lennon, and the other (Billy Stark) had a Protestant father and a Catholic mother.

So when you include Burns and Lennon twice it takes it to 50% so yes they do tend to go for RCs.
Interestingly (or not) people often assumed that King Kenny was RC, because of the Celtic connection when nearly every player was, but his first choice as a Protestant would have been Rangers who didn't want him (too small?).

Fortunately on the playing side it is no longer a consideration when signing players for both clubs (with Rangers I think it was when they started signing Italian players) but young Scots do tend still to want to go to one or the other based on their religious background.

I think it was Kevin Drinkell who some Rangers fans refused to call by his first name because it was perceived to be an RC Christian name which really does feel like partisanship going a bit far.
Can't believe that Drinkell is now 60 as will Trevor Senior be this year..

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 27 Jan 2021 15:27

South Coast Royal
From Despair To Where?
South Coast Royal

So when you include Burns and Lennon twice it takes it to 50% so yes they do tend to go for RCs.
Interestingly (or not) people often assumed that King Kenny was RC, because of the Celtic connection when nearly every player was, but his first choice as a Protestant would have been Rangers who didn't want him (too small?).

Fortunately on the playing side it is no longer a consideration when signing players for both clubs (with Rangers I think it was when they started signing Italian players) but young Scots do tend still to want to go to one or the other based on their religious background.

I think it was Kevin Drinkell who some Rangers fans refused to call by his first name because it was perceived to be an RC Christian name which really does feel like partisanship going a bit far.

Statistics, specifically percentages, not your thing apparently.
Unless someone can find something to contradict it, something can only 'tend' to a result if greater than 50%

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 27 Jan 2021 15:35

Franchise FC
South Coast Royal
From Despair To Where?

Unless someone can find something to contradict it, something can only 'tend' to a result if greater than 50%

Thanks so much for that-I tend (more than 50% of the time) to get my use of English and stats correct but now and again, whilst making a general point, may err.
The numbers from the other poster threw me a bit as he only used numbers for recent years as historically (meaning the whole course of Celtic's history for the sake of any pedant out there :wink: ) I would guess the figure to be way over 50% .

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 27 Jan 2021 15:37

BR0B0T
From Despair To Where?
South Coast Royal

Again. Apparently 5 is 50% of 12 if you count Neil Lennon twice. Hardly them tending to go for Catholic managers.

Add that to his recent assertion that Liverpool-Everton being a fundentally sectarian rivalry, which was news to pretty much all of Merseyside, and I think he has an obsession with religion.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 27 Jan 2021 15:43

South Coast Royal
Franchise FC
South Coast Royal

Thanks so much for that-I tend (more than 50% of the time) to get my use of English and stats correct but now and again, whilst making a general point, may err.
The numbers from the other poster threw me a bit as he only used numbers for recent years as historically (meaning the whole course of Celtic's history for the sake of any pedant out there :wink: ) I would guess the figure to be way over 50% .

Sorry, having re-read my post it was waaaaaay too accusatory

Should've been a soft reminder

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 27 Jan 2021 15:47

South Coast Royal
Franchise FC
South Coast Royal

I took evidence from the past 25 years to suggest that what historically may gave been the case 2 generations + ago is certainly no longer the case and would be no impediment to Lampard being offered the job were Lennon to get sacked.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 27 Jan 2021 16:06

From Despair To Where?
BR0B0T
From Despair To Where?

Again. Apparently 5 is 50% of 12 if you count Neil Lennon twice. Hardly them tending to go for Catholic managers.

Add that to his recent assertion that Liverpool-Everton being a fundentally sectarian rivalry, which was news to pretty much all of Merseyside, and I think he has an obsession with religion.

Remember my friend you are a newcomer to the area, some of us are much more aware of the history (with very long family connections), especially of the two Liverpool clubs, and football has been going for just a few years more than the Premier League and for many years before you moved up that way so please don't lecture me on Merseyside history.

I don't have an obsession with religion but when your roots are firmly from one side of the divide or another it is something that is difficult to ignore (see also St Paulli and Brobot).

Fortunately these days the religious attachment to the two Manchester and the two Liverpool clubs has become less and less but regrettably in Glasgow the divide between the fans is as vast as it has ever been.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 27 Jan 2021 16:12

Franchise FC
South Coast Royal
Franchise FC Statistics, specifically percentages, not your thing apparently.

Sorry, having re-read my post it was waaaaaay too accusatory

Should've been a soft reminder

A good reminder though and I'll be much more careful in future with usage of the word "trend". :wink:
BTW if somebody or something is trendy does it have to be very fashionable or just more fashionable than 49%?

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 27 Jan 2021 16:16

From Despair To Where?
BR0B0T
From Despair To Where?

The Liverpool-Everton thing is slightly sectarian...

The professional football clubs of the 1890s attracted much interest among the public, both on and off the field. The 1867 Reform Act had given what would become football-attending masses the opportunity to vote in the local and national elections. Everton and Liverpool attendances would reach around 10–15,000 in a local authority ward with a population of 23,000. Local politicians saw involvement in the two football clubs as an opportunity to gain media exposure to the local electorate. Irish roots and religion are also sometimes considered as theories for the split on the grounds that Houlding was a prominent Orange Order member, while Everton's new chairman George Mahon was a rival Liberal Home Rule-advocating MP. Orangemen are strongly Unionist, whereas someone favoring home rule for Ireland was in favor of some degree of separation of the whole island of Ireland from the UK. The city of Liverpool has more Irish blood than any other city in the UK, and division between Protestant and Catholic groups in Ireland closely matched the division between Unionism and Republicanism in Liverpool.[7] However, at the time of the split, James Clement Baxter was the only Catholic among the Everton committee members whereas the rest were Protestants.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 27 Jan 2021 16:54

BR0B0T
From Despair To Where?
BR0B0T

The professional football clubs of the 1890s attracted much interest among the public, both on and off the field. The 1867 Reform Act had given what would become football-attending masses the opportunity to vote in the local and national elections. Everton and Liverpool attendances would reach around 10–15,000 in a local authority ward with a population of 23,000. Local politicians saw involvement in the two football clubs as an opportunity to gain media exposure to the local electorate. Irish roots and religion are also sometimes considered as theories for the split on the grounds that Houlding was a prominent Orange Order member, while Everton's new chairman George Mahon was a rival Liberal Home Rule-advocating MP. Orangemen are strongly Unionist, whereas someone favoring home rule for Ireland was in favor of some degree of separation of the whole island of Ireland from the UK. The city of Liverpool has more Irish blood than any other city in the UK, and division between Protestant and Catholic groups in Ireland closely matched the division between Unionism and Republicanism in Liverpool.[7] However, at the time of the split, James Clement Baxter was the only Catholic among the Everton committee members whereas the rest were Protestants.

At the time, I posted a link to an Everton site which had a link to an academic study that concluded that, far from it being sectarian, it had more to do the the temperance movement and brewery interests which were, coincidentally, spilt along Protestant/Catholic lines. That the oposing sides were Protestant or Catholic was a quirk of circumstance and that support of either club has never been fixed upon Secatarian lines. In fact, most people seem to assume that Liverpool are the "Catholic" club when, in fact, it's Everton. In fact, Liverpool were formed largely in response to a dispute between Everton and the owners of Anfield, which saw them move to Goodison in 1892.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 27 Jan 2021 17:01, edited 1 time in total.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 27 Jan 2021 17:00

From Despair To Where?
BR0B0T
From Despair To Where?

At the time, I posted a link to an Everton site which had a link to an academic study that concluded that, far from it being sectarian, it had more to do the the temperance movement and brewery interests which were, coincidentally, spilt along Protestant/Catholic lines. That the oposing sides were Protestant or Catholic was a quirk of circumstance and that support of either club has never been fixed upon Secatarian lines. In fact, most people seem to assume that Liverpool are the "Catholic" club when, in fact, it's Everton.

Jolly good, I knew the ancient and more importantly the intermediate and current histories of the two clubs, so what about Lampard for Celtic which was the question before you went to town.?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 27 Jan 2021 17:02

Couldn't give a shit about the InFirm. A plague on both houses.

But since you ask, wouldn't surprise me if they went for an ex player. Henrik Larsson, maybe.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 27 Jan 2021 17:58

BR0B0T
Pepe the Horseman Surely Steve Bruce is next. Not sure who would take that job though.

just came on to say this

leon How long for Steve Bruce at Newcastle?

I quite like him and fcuking hate Newcastle so as long as he is there it annoys the whinging Northern fatsos.

dont bother lads did this 2 weeks ago LOL x

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jan 2021 11:54

BR0B0T
From Despair To Where?
South Coast Royal

How unusual.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 28 Jan 2021 11:59

Snowflake Royal
BR0B0T
From Despair To Where?

How unusual.

And you wonder why you are so unpopular Ian.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jan 2021 12:14

Quite happy to be unpopular with the likes of you Vic.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 28 Jan 2021 12:40

Crucial game for Klopp tonight!

Hope the LFC board aren't trigger happy!

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 01 Feb 2021 14:30

Paul Clement sacked by Cercle Brugge. 6 months into a 3-year contract, 1 win in 13 matches.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 01 Feb 2021 14:38

BR0B0T Crucial game for Klopp tonight!

Hope the LFC board aren't trigger happy!

3 days later, 6 more points and 6 more goals against 2 clubs in the top 8 away from home

I think Klopp may have a bit longer, don't you?

8695 posts