The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

8696 posts
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

by Hendo » 01 Feb 2021 14:53

Whore Jackie Paul Clement sacked by Cercle Brugge. 6 months into a 3-year contract, 1 win in 13 matches.

He really is just not very good, is he?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Feb 2021 15:43

Hendo
Whore Jackie Paul Clement sacked by Cercle Brugge. 6 months into a 3-year contract, 1 win in 13 matches.

I liked Clement, thought he was refreshingly honest, someone who knew the game well and helped us in the long term by bringing through Rinomhota, giving Meite a chance and signing Yiadom

However, it’s clear that he struggles to get his ideas across onto the pitch and it seems he doesn’t have great control/authority on his players, with the incident with Barrow here and another incident at Brugge. Also something VDB alluded to and then you saw the fall out with him and Bent too

Interesting what Meyler said, that he’s one of the best coaches he’s ever worked with, but from a man management perspective, he was weak. Perhaps he should just stick to the coaching side of things rather than the number 1?

Still, will always be grateful to him (and likewise Gomes) for keeping us up in gloomy times

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 01 Feb 2021 17:43

URZZZZ
Hendo

I liked Clement, thought he was refreshingly honest, someone who knew the game well and helped us in the long term by bringing through Rinomhota, giving Meite a chance and signing Yiadom

However, it’s clear that he struggles to get his ideas across onto the pitch and it seems he doesn’t have great control/authority on his players, with the incident with Barrow here and another incident at Brugge. Also something VDB alluded to and then you saw the fall out with him and Bent too

Interesting what Meyler said, that he’s one of the best coaches he’s ever worked with, but from a man management perspective, he was weak. Perhaps he should just stick to the coaching side of things rather than the number 1?

Still, will always be grateful to him (and likewise Gomes) for keeping us up in gloomy times

Might be a good coach, but so far he's proven to be a pretty awful manager. Imagine his Duncan Ferguson voodoo doll is taking a right hammering now.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 02 Feb 2021 10:20

I know there have been new rules for Brexit player transfers. But have their been new rules for foreign managers?

Will we see the likes of Paunovic, Stam and Gomez ever again?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 02 Feb 2021 10:35

Greatwesternline I know there have been new rules for Brexit player transfers. But have their been new rules for foreign managers?

Will we see the likes of Paunovic, Stam and Gomez ever again?

https://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=188167

Solskjaer would not have qualified to move here to manage Man Utd from Molde

China is an oddly highly rated league so a manager from a country that doesn't qualify could go to China for a short while, earn some nice money, then get his move here

If a foreign manager doesn't attend work for 10 days in a row the club must report it to the Home Office

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Feb 2021 14:49

Interesting story coming out of France with regards to AVB.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55905232

Andre Villas-Boas: Marseille manager offers resignation over club's 'sporting policy'

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 02 Feb 2021 15:00

Hendo Interesting story coming out of France with regards to AVB.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55905232

Andre Villas-Boas: Marseille manager offers resignation over club's 'sporting policy'

There has been a lot of turmoil over there so no surprise really.
It does seem as though he and Paul Clement don't make the best of moves.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Feb 2021 19:22

URZZZZ
Hendo

Yeah that.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 03 Feb 2021 08:54

Jason Tindall tinned by Bournemouth. Good job for someone.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 03 Feb 2021 10:33

RG30 Jason Tindall tinned by Bournemouth. Good job for someone.

Not sure it is good news for us, I wish Tindall had stayed. :wink:

Jonathan Woodgate has just gone there as assistant but he had a terrible time at 'Boro.

So who will it be?
Lampard, Terry or a returning knight in shining armour like Redknapp or Howe?

BTW IMHO it seldom works when a no.2 is promoted at the same club.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 03 Feb 2021 13:52

South Coast Royal

Jonathan Woodgate has just gone there as assistant but he had a terrible time at 'Boro.

So who will it be?

I've backed Terry at 12s. Apparently he was interested in the summer. Was heavily linked with the Derby job before it went to Wazza, and this seems like it'd be a much safer option. As others have mentioned on the other thread I'm sure Lamps won't be interested. Would be nuts to go from Chelsea to Bournemouth.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 03 Feb 2021 14:50

Pepe the Horseman
South Coast Royal

So who will it be?

I've backed Terry at 12s. Apparently he was interested in the summer. Was heavily linked with the Derby job before it went to Wazza, and this seems like it'd be a much safer option. As others have mentioned on the other thread I'm sure Lamps won't be interested. Would be nuts to go from Chelsea to Bournemouth.

At least John Terry has the same initials as the sacked manager so the tops that they wear would not need to be replaced. :wink:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 08 Feb 2021 22:01

Hodgson next out the door?

Lampard or Howe to replace?

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 09 Feb 2021 10:55

Royal Rother Hodgson next out the door?

Do Palace now fall into the "Careful what you wish for, remember where Charlton were when they sacked Curbishley " category?

They aren't going to win anything nor get relegated so they fall into the same bracket as clubs like Southampton, Brighton and Burnley in that survival in the Premier League represents their main aim each season.
With that in mind I don't get why these clubs don't go full on in trying to win a cup competition.

Hodgson has done so well considering his age and if Palace have any sense (do any football clubs?) they would bring in an assistant, for say a season, as understudy in readiness for taking over-it's called planning but few clubs do it.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 09 Feb 2021 11:30

South Coast Royal

Do Palace now fall into the "Careful what you wish for, remember where Charlton were when they sacked Curbishley " category?

They aren't going to win anything nor get relegated so they fall into the same bracket as clubs like Southampton, Brighton and Burnley in that survival in the Premier League represents their main aim each season.
With that in mind I don't get why these clubs don't go full on in trying to win a cup competition

ooh I was going to post exactly that last night, and ref Charlton, but forgot.

in my mind Palace are still in that bracket of football league clubs who are surviving in the PL. Finishing 12-15 should be their realistic aim.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 09 Feb 2021 13:24

Winston Biscuit
South Coast Royal

With that in mind I don't get why these clubs don't go full on in trying to win a cup competition

ooh I was going to post exactly that last night, and ref Charlton, but forgot.

in my mind Palace are still in that bracket of football league clubs who are surviving in the PL. Finishing 12-15 should be their realistic aim.

His contract expires at the end of the season, so I expect he's planning on jacking it in anyway.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 09 Feb 2021 13:31

im hearing rumblings from a few watford fans on a championship facebook group that the new watford manager will be out the door soon :lol:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 09 Feb 2021 13:31

They look dreadful and based on the owners recent history, that doesn't surprise me one bit.

ShambLOLes of a club.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 09 Feb 2021 13:36

Hendo They look dreadful and based on the owners recent history, that doesn't surprise me one bit.

ShambLOLes of a club.

The daft thing is that they look dreadful but are bang in contention like we are.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 09 Feb 2021 14:01

Tic Klopp

8696 posts