The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

8696 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

by Stranded » 26 Feb 2021 11:09

From Despair To Where? I'd be wary of overstating Gerrard's ability just yet. Celtic have had it easy and been coasting for a decade and, as has shown in their recent European excursions, have got soft. Gerrard has done well to re-establish Rangers as a real force in a 2 horse race and give them a bit of steel and consistency but let's not go proclaiming him Klopp's heir apparent quite yet.

As for where Rangers were when he took over, they had finished 3rd, which for a team with their resources, in that league is underachieving. This isn't a minnow he's taking to new heights. I can also see them dominating for the next five years whilst Celtic sort themselves out but I'd like to see what Gerrard can do in a more competative environment first.

Whilst fair a record of W26 D4 L0 is pretty impressive regardless of the league it is in - not sure there have been many better records in the SPL in recent history at least - though may be wrong.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 26 Feb 2021 12:21

From Despair To Where? I'd be wary of overstating Gerrard's ability just yet. Celtic have had it easy and been coasting for a decade and, as has shown in their recent European excursions, have got soft. Gerrard has done well to re-establish Rangers as a real force in a 2 horse race and give them a bit of steel and consistency but let's not go proclaiming him Klopp's heir apparent quite yet.

As for where Rangers were when he took over, they had finished 3rd, which for a team with their resources, in that league is underachieving. This isn't a minnow he's taking to new heights. I can also see them dominating for the next five years whilst Celtic sort themselves out but I'd like to see what Gerrard can do in a more competative environment first.

I would be wary of overstating anybody's managerial achievements because each job has so many variables such as who is the assistant, what players were there before, what level of players have been recruited, how much money has been available and what is the record like on the pitch domestically and in Europe?

If football were like normal business it might be the case of Stevie G moving on to a Southampton or Palace for a couple years of Premier League experience, then 6 months or so as Klopp's assistant with a view to becoming permanent manager.
Football however is so lacking in planning that this seldom happens and I don't think it will happen in his case.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 26 Feb 2021 12:56

Stranded

Whilst fair a record of W26 D4 L0 is pretty impressive regardless of the league it is in - not sure there have been many better records in the SPL in recent history at least - though may be wrong.

Celtic went 34-4-0 4 years ago.

I'm not trying to belittle what Gerrard has achieved because he has turned Rangers around but I do think Celtic falling to bits is a big factor this season and it's too early to suggest he's ready for one of the top jobs in England. Spurs might be a good fit. :wink: if Gerrard can build on this season's success next season, win the league again and give a good account of themselves in the CL, then you're starting to build a case for him to make the step up. I dont think he's quite up to having a statue at Ibrox just yet.

In some respects, Rangers getting demoted was the worst thing to happen to Scottish football.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 26 Feb 2021 13:50

From Despair To Where?
Stranded

Celtic went 34-4-0 4 years ago.

I'm not trying to belittle what Gerrard has achieved because he has turned Rangers around but I do think Celtic falling to bits is a big factor this season and it's too early to suggest he's ready for one of the top jobs in England. Spurs might be a good fit. :wink: if Gerrard can build on this season's success next season, win the league again and give a good account of themselves in the CL, then you're starting to build a case for him to make the step up. I dont think he's quite up to having a statue at Ibrox just yet.

In some respects, Rangers getting demoted was the worst thing to happen to Scottish football.

Your stat for Celtic-wasn't that when Rangers weren't competing at the same level?
If so, it's not as impressive IMHO as Rangers this season when both are in the same division.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 26 Feb 2021 13:55

2016/17. Rangers finished 39pts behind them in 3rd so in some respects, no they weren't competing at the same level.

If you look at the final positions last season, the gap is pretty similar to this, only with the roles reversed. This season is as much about Celtic taking giant steps backwards as it is Rangers taking giant steps forward.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 28 Feb 2021 22:11

Jobi takes over at Orient as interim boss, which I think will be at least till the end of the season.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Feb 2021 22:37

Paul Lambert has left Ipswich with a possible takeover looming

Seems he made a few enemies at the end of his tenure

Lambert’s career has gone massively downhill, wonder if he regrets leaving Norwich?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 01 Mar 2021 07:10

URZZZZ Paul Lambert has left Ipswich with a possible takeover looming

Lambert’s career has gone massively downhill, wonder if he regrets leaving Norwich?

Celtic job will be up for grabs in the summer

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 01 Mar 2021 07:49

He's an awful manager bar his spell at Norwich, who we have seen are a well run and reasonably well funded club. Never rated the bloke.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Mar 2021 09:41

NathStPaul

He's an awful manager bar his spell at Norwich, who we have seen are a well run and reasonably well funded club. Never rated the bloke.

By the same token though, I’m not sure he’s been dealt the best hand with the other clubs he’s worked at - joined them at a time where they were on a downwards spiral/bit of a mess

Do think though that he’ll struggle to find a job in the English league for a while now

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 01 Mar 2021 15:22

Darren Moore takes over at sheff wed. i think that just about seals them for relegation

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 01 Mar 2021 15:40

WoodleyRoyal Darren Moore takes over at sheff wed. i think that just about seals them for relegation

On the basis of his very good record at both West Brom and Doncaster?
There aren't many managers around in the EFL with a 46% win record.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 01 Mar 2021 15:45

Sanguine
WoodleyRoyal Darren Moore takes over at sheff wed. i think that just about seals them for relegation

On the basis of his very good record at both West Brom and Doncaster?
There aren't many managers around in the EFL with a 46% win record.

Yeah that's an odd comment. Remember at the time thinking that he was harshly sacked by WBA.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WoodleyRoyal » 01 Mar 2021 16:03

think you or i could have got a 47% win rate at West Brom with the squad he had at his disposal. And he's not exactly set the world on fire at Doncaster, his last 5 games? 4 defeats, and a draw. We shall see but i don't think he's got the experience to keep them up.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 01 Mar 2021 16:13

WoodleyRoyal think you or i could have got a 47% win rate at West Brom with the squad he had at his disposal. And he's not exactly set the world on fire at Doncaster, his last 5 games? 4 defeats, and a draw. We shall see but i don't think he's got the experience to keep them up.

What about the 73 Doncaster games before that?

If you think Moore is a relegation manager then there's about 60 shite managers in the EFL.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Mar 2021 16:34

Sanguine
WoodleyRoyal think you or i could have got a 47% win rate at West Brom with the squad he had at his disposal. And he's not exactly set the world on fire at Doncaster, his last 5 games? 4 defeats, and a draw. We shall see but i don't think he's got the experience to keep them up.

What about the 73 Doncaster games before that?

If you think Moore is a relegation manager then there's about 60 shite managers in the EFL.

Agree

Not sure what Moore he wants from him

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 02 Mar 2021 12:21

Ipswich have appointed Paul Cook

Good appointment IMO with a good record recently of getting teams promoted from lower divisions

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WoodleyRoyal » 03 Mar 2021 21:41

8)

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 04 Mar 2021 08:56

WoodleyRoyal

8)

Can you delete this, and repost at 5pm on Sat pls x

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WoodleyRoyal » 06 Mar 2021 16:56

Pepe the Horseman
WoodleyRoyal

8)

Can you delete this, and repost at 5pm on Sat pls x

8)

8696 posts