The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

8702 posts
Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

by Franchise FC » 09 Feb 2021 15:11

BR0B0T Tic Klopp

Not a chance - even if they miss out on the top four

If next season starts as this is going, however ...

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 09 Feb 2021 15:13

BR0B0T Tic Klopp

You constantly posting something isn't going to make it happen

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 09 Feb 2021 15:52

Silver Fox
BR0B0T Tic Klopp

You constantly posting something isn't going to make it happen

Don't you see!

Pulling the strings in cyberspace

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 09 Feb 2021 17:30

Winston Biscuit
South Coast Royal
Royal Rother Hodgson next out the door?

Lampard or Howe to replace?

Do Palace now fall into the "Careful what you wish for, remember where Charlton were when they sacked Curbishley " category?

They aren't going to win anything nor get relegated so they fall into the same bracket as clubs like Southampton, Brighton and Burnley in that survival in the Premier League represents their main aim each season.
With that in mind I don't get why these clubs don't go full on in trying to win a cup competition

ooh I was going to post exactly that last night, and ref Charlton, but forgot.

in my mind Palace are still in that bracket of football league clubs who are surviving in the PL. Finishing 12-15 should be their realistic aim.

Different league but Ipswich under McCarthy reminds me of that, spent a few years in mid table under him, never really looking like going down/up, Ipswich fans wanted change but as soon as they got someone new in, they got relegated and are now struggling to get out of League One

I suppose Palace did experiment a few years ago with De Boer - that didn’t end well

I suppose then the question comes down to do you want to risk it to achieve a better position or are you happy with mid table finishes each year
Last edited by URZZZZ on 09 Feb 2021 17:32, edited 1 time in total.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 09 Feb 2021 17:31

South Coast Royal
Hendo They look dreadful and based on the owners recent history, that doesn't surprise me one bit.

ShambLOLes of a club.

The daft thing is that they look dreadful but are bang in contention like we are.

I guess they have a good defensive record, only 20 goals conceded so far all season and also IIRC they do seem to get their fair share of luck with penalties

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 09 Feb 2021 20:55

URZZZZ
Winston Biscuit
South Coast Royal
Do Palace now fall into the "Careful what you wish for, remember where Charlton were when they sacked Curbishley " category?

They aren't going to win anything nor get relegated so they fall into the same bracket as clubs like Southampton, Brighton and Burnley in that survival in the Premier League represents their main aim each season.
With that in mind I don't get why these clubs don't go full on in trying to win a cup competition

in my mind Palace are still in that bracket of football league clubs who are surviving in the PL. Finishing 12-15 should be their realistic aim.

Different league but Ipswich under McCarthy reminds me of that, spent a few years in mid table under him, never really looking like going down/up, Ipswich fans wanted change but as soon as they got someone new in, they got relegated and are now struggling to get out of League One

I suppose Palace did experiment a few years ago with De Boer - that didn’t end well

I suppose then the question comes down to do you want to risk it to achieve a better position or are you happy with mid table finishes each year

well if he's out of contract at the end of the season it might be prudent to get someone new in with circa 5/10 games left of the season, they have no risk of going down. The new man could then properly assess the squad before the summer window. If Hodgson were not out of contract it would be a different matter he's generally been great for them.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 10 Feb 2021 18:30

Tisdale gone from Bristol Rovers

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 10 Feb 2021 18:37

Reading legend Keith Curle sacked by Northampton.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Feb 2021 19:21

Pepe the Horseman Reading legend Keith Curle sacked by Northampton.

Tisdale to Northampton, Curle to Bristol Rovers?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Feb 2021 22:23

URZZZZ
Winston Biscuit
South Coast Royal

I even knew an Ipswich fan who said at least a relegation fight would be interesting when I pointed out they were safe under McCarthy and all the teams that sack him immediately get relegated. Hey presto. Funnily enough, he wasn't full of the joys of the exciting relegation fight and hasn't been bouncing around with glee at the excitement of their failed L1 promotion bids.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 12 Feb 2021 14:01

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ
Winston Biscuit

I even knew an Ipswich fan who said at least a relegation fight would be interesting when I pointed out they were safe under McCarthy and all the teams that sack him immediately get relegated. Hey presto. Funnily enough, he wasn't full of the joys of the exciting relegation fight and hasn't been bouncing around with glee at the excitement of their failed L1 promotion bids.

Probably thought they’d piss League One with a record number of points, after watching other smaller clubs like Wigan and Bolton bounce straight back in recent years. Probably finding it hard to find any silver lining now though as he contemplates at least another 12 months of home games against Rochdale, MK Dongs, and Accrington Stanley (who are they?). That is if Accrington Stanley don’t go up.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 12 Feb 2021 14:09

Amazing how much of a mess Ipswich, and Sunderland, are making of trying to get back up

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 12 Feb 2021 14:15

Winston Biscuit Amazing how much of a mess Ipswich, and Sunderland, are making of trying to get back up

You could probably add Charlton to that but they have been a bit of a basket case club, though Hull are making a good go of it and they aren’t exactly a stable well run club!

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 12 Feb 2021 14:16

Mr Optimist
Winston Biscuit Amazing how much of a mess Ipswich, and Sunderland, are making of trying to get back up

You could probably add Charlton to that but they have been a bit of a basket case club, though Hull are making a good go of it and they aren’t exactly a stable well run club!

I don't feel those clubs being down in the 3rd tier is anything historically unusual tbh

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Feb 2021 16:59

Once they do make it back up I doubt they'll struggle too much at this level and could get a nice bounce going to challenging at the top of the Chump again.

It's always hard getting promoted, but it's usually the smaller clubs that then struggle to make it stick. Your Rotherham, Luton, Wycombe, Burton, Posh, Donny etc

Rather than your Leicester, Forest, Ipswich, Wednesday, Sheff u, Leeds, Sunderland etc

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 12 Feb 2021 18:54

£2 free bet on Browne, Lenihan and Johnson to be booked at 80/1.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 12 Feb 2021 22:25

Let's go through the clubs who haven't recovered in any league, this is from premier or championship, pretty insane the list but tell me if I messed. Heck of a lot of oxf*rd up clubs here:

Hull
Pompey
Charlton
Sunderland
Blackpool
Ipswich
Afc Wimbledon (?)
Burton (barely)
Blackpool
Wigan
Bolton
Bradford
Torquay
Yeovil
Barnet
Stockport

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 13 Feb 2021 14:14

You've got to be asking questions about Klopp now surely?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 13 Feb 2021 14:18

BR0B0T You've got to be asking questions about Klopp now surely?

Probably “Which centre backs are you going to sign in the summer ?”

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 13 Feb 2021 14:44

Franchise FC
BR0B0T You've got to be asking questions about Klopp now surely?

Probably “Which centre backs are you going to sign in the summer ?”

Or perhaps more appropriately, why do you insist on playing Henderson and Fabinho in defence?

8702 posts