We're ManchesteROFL United, we do what we want

5752 posts
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: We're ManchesteROFL United, we do what we want

by Hendo » 01 Oct 2019 09:24

Old Man Andrews
Hendo Good save from Leno towards the end from the FK.

You're very easily pleased Hendo. It was his side of the goal and he didn't really have to move much. That being said he did have a good game overall which is a shame as I would really love to see Martinez get the number 1 spot for Arsenal.

Possibly, but you do see 'keepers get beaten on their side more often now, Swift did it to Wigan last year, for example.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 01 Oct 2019 11:30

Old Man Andrews Bit miffed at all the criticsm about the game last night. Yes the quality of football wasn't the best but I thought there was a lot of battling and commitment on show which made for some entertaining scraps and tussles around the pitch.

I liked the look of Saka and thought Tuanzebe did well out of position. For a patched together back four United didn't do too badly.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 01 Oct 2019 13:22

I think that was the first time I'd seen Tuanzebe play and yep, he looked pretty decent, especially playing out of position.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 01 Oct 2019 13:26

Old Man Andrews Bit miffed at all the criticsm about the game last night. Yes the quality of football wasn't the best but I thought there was a lot of battling and commitment on show which made for some entertaining scraps and tussles around the pitch.

I’m sure the United fans will be delighted with a 10th place finish so long as they battle and are committed.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 01 Oct 2019 13:51

Franchise FC

I’m sure the United fans will be delighted with a 10th place finish so long as they battle and are committed.

Where did I say they would be happy with finishing 10th? I was referring to the quality of the game last night.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 04 Oct 2019 15:45

The Guardian When Ole Gunnar Solskjær was appointed Manchester United manager, he wanted to emulate some of Alex Ferguson’s achievements in the job. But mirroring the start of the 1989-90 campaign was probably low down on his list. United’s disappointing 1-1 draw with Arsenal at Old Trafford on Monday night left the club with just nine points from as many matches in the league this season, making this their worst start to a campaign for 30 years. The last time they began a season so badly – in 1989-90, when they only picked up seven points in their first nine games – Fergie time seemed to be running out.

Since joining the club from Aberdeen in November 1986, Alex Ferguson had done little to suggest that he would be the man to knock Liverpool off their perch. If anything, he needed to worry about losing his own position. He was backed heavily in the transfer market over the summer months in 1989, with Neil Webb, Mike Phelan, Gary Pallister, Paul Ince and Danny Wallace all joining the club, and the pressure was mounting.

The troubles ahead must have felt far away on the opening day of the season, when Arsenal visited Old Trafford on a gloriously sunny August afternoon. A crowd of 47,245 (their biggest of the season) watched a rampant United side thump the champions 4-1. With debutant Webb scoring a stunner, things appeared to be rosy.

Webb was not the only goalscorer who caused a stir at the Stretford End that day. Before the match, businessman Michael Knighton took to the pitch. The 37-year-old was seemingly on the brink of succeeding Martin Edwards as chairman and was keen to meet the fans. Donning a club tracksuit top and demonstrating some keepie-uppie skills, Knighton basked in the spotlight.

“We had heard about the takeover, but this chap came into the dressing room before the game, introduced himself as the new owner and then asked for a kit,” Webb later reflected. “We thought he just wanted to join in with the warm-up, but I couldn’t believe what I was seeing when he ran on to the pitch and whacked the ball into the net at the Stretford End. It was hilarious, really. Unbelievable.”

Alas, Knighton’s promises to complete a £20m takeover were as empty as the goal he scored before kick-off. Knighton’s plans turned to dust as the weeks progressed – just like United’s form. Results dipped quickly and the pressure on Ferguson grew. With United failing to win any of their next four matches, the manager was criticised in the press for allowing Paul McGrath and Norman Whiteside to leave the club and for replacing them with “expensive misfits”.

United were dominant in their second game of the campaign, away at Crystal Palace, but a last-minute equaliser from Ian Wright denied them three points. The real talk of the club being “in crisis” began after their 2-0 defeat at Derby. “After the sunny start it was back to the grey days,” wrote Clive White in the Times. Losing their next match, 2-0 at home to Norwich, did not help Ferguson’s case. With £2.3m signing Pallister giving away a penalty on his debut and influential skipper Robson limping out, the “Woe upon woe for United” headline in the Times was spot on. When Webb ruptured his Achilles tendon while on international duty, Ferguson must have been bemoaning his luck.

The poor run of form continued with a 3-2 reverse at Everton, United’s third league defeat in a row. The result flattered United. “United are as far as ever from breaking into the circle of power formed almost exclusively by Liverpool,” reflected James Lawton in the Express. Never mind Liverpool; Ferguson had one eye over his shoulder looking at Palace and Charlton. The gloom was lifted temporarily when Robson returned from injury and Mark Hughes scored a hat-trick in a 5-1 demolition of Millwall. Yet any talk of a revival was quickly extinguished a week in the Manchester derby.

“Alex Ferguson knows what he has to do, he is the man in charge and there is no one working harder to put the situation right,” said Knighton before the trip to Maine Road. What happened on the pitch left many fans wondering about that statement.

Even though Steve Bruce and Robson were missing, United fans were still confident that they would get a result. City had just been promoted and had only won one of their first six games back in the top flight. They were even shorted on confidence than United and were missing experienced midfielder Neil McNab and £1m signing Clive Allen. But on an unforgettable day for both sets of fans – whose fighting held the match up for eight minutes – United simply imploded.

Their defending was abysmal, with Pallister all at sea. The 5-1 hammering would enter City folklore and it looked increasingly likely that Ferguson would be on his way soon. “From boardroom to dressing room United are showing all the classic signs of a club cracking up,” wrote Harry Harris in the Mirror. After this humiliation it was reported that Ferguson had been given until Christmas to save his job. But, a few days after the derby debacle, he signed a new three-year contract that had originally been offered to him in May.

“It gives me more time to get on with the job,” said Ferguson, but time did not seem to be on his side. United were knocked out of the League Cup in October, their 3-0 defeat to Tottenham at Old Trafford ending one possible route to salvation. Although, in truth, their attention was now fixed on a relegation battle.

Ferguson refused to talk to the press after his side suffered another home defeat, losing 2-0 to Charlton in early November. The press rounded on the manager on his third anniversary at the club. The Express went with the headline “Fergie the Flop” and Colin Gibson was scathing in the Telegraph: “They [the supporters] are fed up with excuses and false dawns. Old Trafford needs success and it needs it quickly, otherwise the pressure Mr Ferguson has experienced will grow much worse.”

The dissenting voices were growing louder and louder. And then came Crystal Palace at home on 9 December. The game will forever be remembered for the banner displayed by one disgruntled supporter – “three years of excuses and it’s still crap. Ta ra Fergie” – yet he was not on the only angry fan at Old Trafford that day. Cries of “Fergie out” and “what a load of rubbish” filled the air. “The reaction of our fans after our home defeat by Crystal Palace was the worst I have experienced,” admitted Ferguson.

Edwards, still in charge after Knighton’s failed takeover, backed his man. But the bad results kept on coming. United went 11 league games without a victory – their worst run since the 1971-72 season – and their odds of being relegated were slashed to 5/2.

“I know patience is a word football fans do not like to hear, but that is what United supporters need,” said Manchester City manager Howard Kendall, who had previously been linked to Ferguson’s job. “I am sure he will get it right given time,” added Kendall. How very true. Both Kendall and Ferguson benefitted from patient chairman at the time. Whether Solskjær will be afforded the same luxury remains to be seen.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 04 Oct 2019 15:46

Associated photo:

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Oct 2019 17:42

Fred being bossed by the 18 and 21 year old Longstaff brothers...... How have United fallen this far?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 06 Oct 2019 17:57

Has their worldwide shirt sales fallen quite as dramatically?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 06 Oct 2019 18:06

Old Man Andrews Fred being bossed by the 18 and 21 year old Longstaff brothers...... How have United fallen this far?

This Utd team is the worst I’ve seen since the 80s

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 06 Oct 2019 18:09

Reckon they will go down

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 06 Oct 2019 18:10

Very topical right now...but yes....they’ve done it before
Last edited by AthleticoSpizz on 06 Oct 2019 18:11, edited 1 time in total.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Oct 2019 18:10

Fred might be pound for pound the worst United player of all time.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 06 Oct 2019 18:19

Old Man Andrews Fred might be pound for pound the worst United player of all time.

Milne, Prunier

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WoodleyRoyal » 06 Oct 2019 18:26

Well the continued demise of Man Utd is quite spectacular, and highly amusing.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WoodleyRoyal » 06 Oct 2019 18:27

Who will last longer, ole or Gomes :?:

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 Oct 2019 18:29

Old Man Andrews Fred might be pound for pound the worst United player of all time.

Absolutely. No idea what Mourinho was thinking with him

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 Oct 2019 18:30

Going through Uniteds team today, their best two players were McTominay and Tuanzebe, it’s desperate

Rashford is one of the most overrated players in history, Fred is beyond atrocious, Mata is finished, Pereira is pointless, Young is finished, Dalot is poor and whilst James was very good for Swansea, he’s no where near good enough for United

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 06 Oct 2019 18:34

URZZZZ Going through Uniteds team today, their best two players were McTominay and Tuanzebe, it’s desperate

Rashford is one of the most overrated players in history, Fred is beyond atrocious, Mata is finished, Pereira is pointless, Young is finished, Dalot is poor and whilst James was very good for Swansea, he’s no where near good enough for United

James was brought in as a player to grow...he's only playing regularly because we're so shit

'greed about the rest

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 06 Oct 2019 18:36

LoLé is on relegation form since the PSG win

5752 posts