We're ManchesteROFL United, we do what we want

5762 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: We're ManchesteROFL United, we do what we want

by URZZZZ » 19 Sep 2020 22:11

Old Man Andrews
Hendo Good start from Van de Beek though, debut goal off the bench, probably the only positive mind.

Not quite sure how he doesn't start the game. Pogba must have missed a large chunk of training recently with his Covid issuss. I know Van De Beek is new to the squad but he was clearly fit and raring to go.

Personally think the worst call was starting James on the right side of midfield. Against a team who play a low defensive block, James is one of the last players you’d think would be suitable to play. It’s not as if it’s anything new, Palace defending deep in numbers and countering with pace, so why he started James was a mystery

Don’t think he’s good enough for United at all but the games to use him in are those where United are looking to play on the counter, City, Liverpool away etc

Not sure where Mata was, don’t think he’s got the legs in him any more to be a regular but today is the exact sort of game he excels in, picking up little pockets of space and playing through a packed defence

Awful day at the office for Ole today

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 19 Sep 2020 23:33

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews
Hendo Good start from Van de Beek though, debut goal off the bench, probably the only positive mind.

Not quite sure how he doesn't start the game. Pogba must have missed a large chunk of training recently with his Covid issuss. I know Van De Beek is new to the squad but he was clearly fit and raring to go.

Personally think the worst call was starting James on the right side of midfield. Against a team who play a low defensive block, James is one of the last players you’d think would be suitable to play. It’s not as if it’s anything new, Palace defending deep in numbers and countering with pace, so why he started James was a mystery

Don’t think he’s good enough for United at all but the games to use him in are those where United are looking to play on the counter, City, Liverpool away etc

Not sure where Mata was, don’t think he’s got the legs in him any more to be a regular but today is the exact sort of game he excels in, picking up little pockets of space and playing through a packed defence

Awful day at the office for Ole today

Mata was isolating for Covid reasons.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 20 Sep 2020 11:48

BR0B0T
Old Man Andrews
BR0B0T :|

You have been utterly shite. I know you already know that though.

suprising given the gr8 preperation...

Harry in jail and left out of England Squad
Greenwood sent home from England squad
Pogba testing positive for Corona
...etc

That was a couple of weeks or so ago and Man Utd have had an extra week to get ready.
A dire performance against Palace, a side little changed from last season when they lost all those games towards the end.

Those world-class midfielders and strikers didn't exactly look world class yesterday.
Perhaps they might think of buying Zaha-they like buying back players.

Hodgson, even at his advanced age, is clearly so much better than the baby-faced one.

So that is Man Utd's title challenge over for another year-happy days.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 22 Sep 2020 11:47

South Coast Royal
BR0B0T
Old Man Andrews You have been utterly shite. I know you already know that though.

suprising given the gr8 preperation...

Harry in jail and left out of England Squad
Greenwood sent home from England squad
Pogba testing positive for Corona
...etc

That was a couple of weeks or so ago and Man Utd have had an extra week to get ready.
A dire performance against Palace, a side little changed from last season when they lost all those games towards the end.

Those world-class midfielders and strikers didn't exactly look world class yesterday.
Perhaps they might think of buying Zaha-they like buying back players.

Hodgson, even at his advanced age, is clearly so much better than the baby-faced one.

So that is Man Utd's title challenge over for another year-happy days.

Think they still have a chance, a couple of quality fullbacks and a RW off and perhaps a plan B striker who isn’t Ighalo

Obviously funding all that will be difficult, but getting rid of Smalling, Rojo, Jones, Lingard, Pereira etc will help. Again, easier said than done, but still an opportunity to raise funds

As an extra, don’t think any teams have particularly stood out so far this season. City still looked extremely shaky at the back, and you have to wonder about their chances with Stones and Mendy as part of a back four, Liverpool have got away with it twice so far, Spurs and Chelsea still have deficiencies and Arsenal flattered to deceive against West Ham

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 22 Sep 2020 11:49

URZZZZ Liverpool have got away with it twice so far,

:lol: got to admire your commitment to the bit

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 22 Sep 2020 11:51

Silver Fox

Don’t think that’s too off the mark

They relied on a “strikers challenge” in the penalty box to win the first one and then won the second on two moments of madness from Christensen and Kepa

Certainly don’t look as sharp as last season so far

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 22 Sep 2020 11:57

URZZZZ
Silver Fox

They relied on a “strikers challenge” in the penalty box to win the first one and then won the second on two moments of madness from Christensen and Kepa

But they're still winning

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 22 Sep 2020 11:57

Silver Fox

even I'm a bt :? at that...

Chelsea were sitting back and containing LFC. The first time they lost a bit of discipline and tried to press, Liverpool cut through them so easily and Christensen (sp?) got sent off...turned off after that as result was inevitable

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 22 Sep 2020 12:03

Franchise FC
URZZZZ
Silver Fox

Obviously

The point I’m making is I don’t think they look as dominant as they did last season (which I admit, isn’t surprising) which may open more doors for other teams to compete

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 22 Sep 2020 12:05

URZZZZ
Franchise FC
URZZZZ

Obviously

The point I’m making is I don’t think they look as dominant as they did last season (which I admit, isn’t surprising) which may open more doors for other teams to compete

I think there were plenty of times last season when they didn't look dominant - but still found a way to win.
Tottenham & Fulham as examples
As far as I can see, not much has changed ... yet

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 22 Sep 2020 12:17

Yep, oddly* I felt they were less dominant in matches last season than they were in 18/19. But then they didn't need to be last year, as Citeh were so far off the pace for whatever reason. Klopp seems to be the master of the Milton Berle tactic of doing just enough

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 22 Sep 2020 14:36

Silver Fox Yep, oddly* I felt they were less dominant in matches last season than they were in 18/19. But then they didn't need to be last year, as Citeh were so far off the pace for whatever reason. Klopp seems to be the master of the Milton Berle tactic of doing just enough

Trust you to find a way to post an American link to a German manager of an English football team. :wink:
I think you are more Yank than Libertine.

As for the mighty reds I thought they looked a level above Chelsea on Sunday even before the sending-off and it felt like just a matter of time before they scored.
Incidentally Tiago apparently made more passes in 45 minutes (of his debut) than any other player has ever done in Premier League history.
That is some way to settle in.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 22 Sep 2020 16:30

South Coast Royal
Silver Fox Yep, oddly* I felt they were less dominant in matches last season than they were in 18/19. But then they didn't need to be last year, as Citeh were so far off the pace for whatever reason. Klopp seems to be the master of the Milton Berle tactic of doing just enough

Trust you to find a way to post an American link to a German manager of an English football team. :wink:

As for the mighty reds I thought they looked a level above Chelsea on Sunday even before the sending-off and it felt like just a matter of time before they scored.
Incidentally Tiago apparently made more passes in 45 minutes (of his debut) than any other player has ever done in Premier League history.

Having been supportive I feel I should balance that out.

Thiago made more passes ... against 10 men

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 22 Sep 2020 17:49

Franchise FC
South Coast Royal

Tbf watching the game live I’d never have imagined he did so much

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 22 Sep 2020 19:18

Franchise FC
South Coast Royal

So be it-just reporting the stat shown in the paper.
Regardless it shows that he settled in rather nicely.,

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 23 Sep 2020 11:24

Franchise FC
URZZZZ
Franchise FC But they're still winning

Obviously

I think there were plenty of times last season when they didn't look dominant - but still found a way to win.

And Villa (1-0 down with four minutes left), Bournemouth away (relied on a Henderson mistake to win), Leicester at home (penalty in 95th minute).

But they just keep winning.

Agreed with Brobot on the Chelsea game - Liverpool were well in control.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 23 Sep 2020 22:35

Sanguine
Franchise FC
URZZZZ
Obviously

And Villa (1-0 down with four minutes left), Bournemouth away (relied on a Henderson mistake to win), Leicester at home (penalty in 95th minute).

But they just keep winning.

Agreed with Brobot on the Chelsea game - Liverpool were well in control.

I’m presuming you mean Sheffield United away rather than Bournemouth

I get what you’re all saying, and certainly not one of those who claim “they’re lucky”, just don’t think they’ve been very solid defensively so far. IIRC Gomez and Van Dijk has an extraordinary record of goals conceded last year but they’ve looks vulnerable so far this one

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 24 Sep 2020 08:38

Isn't that why Gomez didn't play against Chelsea resulting in a clean sheet?

Yes, it was against 10 men, I know

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Sep 2020 09:01

Silver Fox Isn't that why Gomez didn't play against Chelsea resulting in a clean sheet?

Yes, it was against 10 men, I know

For some reason I thought Gomez started against Chelsea and gave the penalty away, you’ve ruined my argument now :oops:

Will be an interesting game against Arsenal next week though, Arteta has managed against Liverpool twice so far and hasn’t lost yet

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 24 Sep 2020 10:42

Coming back to the less than mighty reds I saw in the paper on Tuesday that Luke Shaw reckons that Man Utd need to sign more quality players.
Further on in in the paper it reported that Man Utd have made a bid for another left-back.

Careful what you wish for Luke.

5762 posts