We're ManchesteROFL United, we do what we want

5752 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: We're ManchesteROFL United, we do what we want

by Old Man Andrews » 09 Dec 2020 09:00

Sanguine De Gea is becoming to United what Pickford is to England, apparently undroppable. Ironically one might argue that in both cases it is Dean Henderson who is missing out. He looks a terrific keeper - probably kept Sheffield United out of relegation trouble last season. Seems to suffer from not being of the trendy 'ball playing' type.

I have no idea why United didn't cash in on De Gea during the summer break whilst he was still worth something. Game by game his value decreases and his reputation suffers. He is on about 300k a week too, think of the wage savings that can be made by offloading him! I hope somebody with common sense at United gets on the phone to PSG in January and can arrange a deal, only place I can see him going really.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 09 Dec 2020 09:23

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews it says 'I have no idea what I'm doing'.

I don’t think he’s great but he’s not as bad as some make out

Win their game in hand and they’re 2 points off the top of the table

Tonight they weren’t great and his subs were baffling, but other than perhaps starting Pogba, not sure what more else he could have done

Their defence is simply terrible. Not a single one of them is good enough for where they want to be and I’m afraid that may include De Gea

This is complete nonsense, sorry. He is a terrible manager and man manager and consistently fails to get the best out of what is a very good squad. Who have United beaten this season? Anyone remotely good? I think their best result was against RB Leipzip at home, other than that they haven't beaten anyone of note. He is tactically inept as demonstrated last night by going to one of the best attacking teams in Europe and pushing both full backs forward from the first minute of the game and being caught out. He is too cavalier and too attacking minded.

Their defence has been awful, as has their goalkeeper, for well over a year now. What has he done to fix it? Who has he signed? Why does he continue to play David De Gea?

I think you’re guilty of measuring to the extremes here. Like I said, for a club of United’s stature and for where they’re aiming to be, he’s out of his depth. I’m merely challenging the “he’s terrible” viewpoint

Very good squad you say? Not sure it’s as good as that. Never quite understood the Rashford hype, Martial blows too hot and cold, Greenwood (quite rightly for his age) is inconsistent

As to your first question. They beat Southampton away (who were on a run of 300+ minutes without conceding at home), they beat Everton away (started the season uneaten at home), they beat PSG away as already mentioned on here and as you say, Leipzig at home, a team that went far in the CL last year

I think De Gea has built up enough credibility in the bank to keep the shirt after a poor run, but that credibility is being eroded game by game after each mistake. Really don’t think it’ll be long before Henderson comes in now. Not sure why he hasn’t fixed their defence if I’m being honest, maybe he prefers the “outscore” the opposition approach

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 09 Dec 2020 09:47

Old Man Andrews
Sanguine De Gea is becoming to United what Pickford is to England, apparently undroppable. Ironically one might argue that in both cases it is Dean Henderson who is missing out. He looks a terrific keeper - probably kept Sheffield United out of relegation trouble last season. Seems to suffer from not being of the trendy 'ball playing' type.

I have no idea why United didn't cash in on De Gea during the summer break whilst he was still worth something. Game by game his value decreases and his reputation suffers. He is on about 300k a week too, think of the wage savings that can be made by offloading him! I hope somebody with common sense at United gets on the phone to PSG in January and can arrange a deal, only place I can see him going really.

Funny that he is blocking Henderson from both club and international football.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 09 Dec 2020 12:16

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews it says 'I have no idea what I'm doing'.

Tonight they weren’t great and his subs were baffling, but other than perhaps starting Pogba, not sure what more else he could have done

Their defence is simply terrible. Not a single one of them is good enough for where they want to be and I’m afraid that may include De Gea

This is complete nonsense, sorry. He is a terrible manager and man manager and consistently fails to get the best out of what is a very good squad. Who have United beaten this season? Anyone remotely good? I think their best result was against RB Leipzip at home, other than that they haven't beaten anyone of note. He is tactically inept as demonstrated last night by going to one of the best attacking teams in Europe and pushing both full backs forward from the first minute of the game and being caught out. He is too cavalier and too attacking minded.

Their defence has been awful, as has their goalkeeper, for well over a year now. What has he done to fix it? Who has he signed? Why does he continue to play David De Gea?

Really don't think Ole is the man but no point in sacking him. With the current board in place, no-one will do a good job

Beat PSG, Leipzig, and Everton (when they were top) and drew against Chelsea...lost to Arsenal and Spurs

Not too much DdG could do against first two...the third is mostly Maguire's fault. WTF! Just lets it run past him.

I'm gonna give DdG the benefit of the doubt (just about) for not 'standing big' as Kluivert had two options of placement (high left, low right)

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 09 Dec 2020 13:03

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ

Very good squad you say? Not sure it’s as good as that. Never quite understood the Rashford hype, Martial blows too hot and cold, Greenwood (quite rightly for his age) is inconsistent

Blimey, I thought I was the only one that thought all that.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 09 Dec 2020 15:06

NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews

I think you may have misread that statement.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, Sangers is saying that De Gea is blocking the reserve keeper at Man Utd and Pickford blocking the reserve keeper for England. In both cases possibly Dean Henderson (notwithstanding that it could be Nick Pope for England)

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 09 Dec 2020 15:21

Franchise FC
NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews I have no idea why United didn't cash in on De Gea during the summer break whilst he was still worth something. Game by game his value decreases and his reputation suffers. He is on about 300k a week too, think of the wage savings that can be made by offloading him! I hope somebody with common sense at United gets on the phone to PSG in January and can arrange a deal, only place I can see him going really.

I think you may have misread that statement.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, Sangers is saying that De Gea is blocking the reserve keeper at Man Utd and Pickford blocking the reserve keeper for England. In both cases possibly Dean Henderson (notwithstanding that it could be Nick Pope for England)

Soz. What i am saying is by virtue of blocking Henderson at club level he is also scuppering his England chances because he cannot play regular football. If De Gea was gone and Henderson was continuing his Sheffield United form then I doubt Pickford would be keeping him out of the team.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 09 Dec 2020 16:34

Ascotexgunner
URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews This is complete nonsense, sorry. He is a terrible manager and man manager and consistently fails to get the best out of what is a very good squad. Who have United beaten this season? Anyone remotely good? I think their best result was against RB Leipzip at home, other than that they haven't beaten anyone of note. He is tactically inept as demonstrated last night by going to one of the best attacking teams in Europe and pushing both full backs forward from the first minute of the game and being caught out. He is too cavalier and too attacking minded.

Blimey, I thought I was the only one that thought all that.

I agree with the comment re Rashford hype.

He is good but nowhere near as good as people seem to think.

Seems to me that our supposed top of the top young players with the world at their feet very often fail to improve once they reach the age of 20.

(Yes of course there are exceptions to the “rule”, Grealish being a good one. I feel a list being prepared by Ian....) :D

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 09 Dec 2020 16:53

As it is the season of good will I won't comment on last night's pathetic performance and add to Brobot's misery .
Now Man Utd can concentrate fully on the League Cup and Europa League which represent the sort of level that they are now at.

Let the big boys (in footballing terms) like Liverpool, City and Chelsea get on with competing for the big prizes until such time as the business machine that is Man Utd spends enough money to compete again and be more of a football club than an off-field investment company.

Oh BTW Ole doesn't have a clue, so long may he keep his job.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 09 Dec 2020 21:48

Does anyone know why he subbed off 2 left-backs and replaced them with a right-footed Brandon Williams (who isn't going to make it at Utd) who came through the ranks as a right-back?

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 10 Dec 2020 12:10

BR0B0T Does anyone know why he subbed off 2 left-backs and replaced them with a right-footed Brandon Williams (who isn't going to make it at Utd) who came through the ranks as a right-back?

Because once upon a time they had Dennis Irwin-the only player I can think of who ever had a decent career as a right-footed left-back.

You might care to address your question to the poster Vision as we had a discussion and a disagreement about right-footed left-backs about 15 years ago.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 10 Dec 2020 13:37

Philip Lahm was a right-footer. And perhaps most pertinent of all Paolo Maldini was a righty. And he did alrighty.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 10 Dec 2020 16:23

Sanguine Philip Lahm was a right-footer. And perhaps most pertinent of all Paolo Maldini was a righty. And he did alrighty.

So 2 in the last 20 years-not many eh?
Didn't Lahm play right-back and right midfield for Germany?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 10 Dec 2020 16:27

South Coast Royal
Sanguine Philip Lahm was a right-footer. And perhaps most pertinent of all Paolo Maldini was a righty. And he did alrighty.

Half and half, he was Germany's left-back for five or six years. Andreas Brehme was a right-footer too. Javier Zanetti often played left-back for Inter, but not for Argentina.

And they are just the really well known ones.

I think it would be reasonable though to suggest it might be possible to come up with more with a bit of work though, given that 'the only player you could think of' wasn't one of the greatest defenders of all time. :)

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 10 Dec 2020 16:38

Sanguine
South Coast Royal

Half and half, he was Germany's left-back for five or six years. Andreas Brehme was a right-footer too. Javier Zanetti often played left-back for Inter, but not for Argentina.

And they are just the really well known ones.

I think it would be reasonable though to suggest it might be possible to come up with more with a bit of work though, given that 'the only player you could think of' wasn't one of the greatest defenders of all time. :)

Have just watched a 3 minute video of Maldini where he scores goals with his left foot, dribbles with his left foot controlling the ball and tackling with his left foot.
A great player and a genuinely 2 -footed one.

Zanetti (one of my all time favourite players) IIRC only played there to fill in and could have played anywhere.
I'll give you Brehme and Paul Breitner was also occasionally used at left-back (which doesn't help my case :wink: )-so, apart from German players............................................ :D .

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 11 Dec 2020 09:19

7 years after Ferguson has left and I think people just haven't adjusted their expectation levels tbh. 2 points off 4th and 5 points off top spot with a game in hand on everyone above them. Doesn't seem disastrous to me

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 Dec 2020 09:55

South Coast Royal
BR0B0T Does anyone know why he subbed off 2 left-backs and replaced them with a right-footed Brandon Williams (who isn't going to make it at Utd) who came through the ranks as a right-back?

Because once upon a time they had Dennis Irwin-the only player I can think of who ever had a decent career as a right-footed left-back.

You might care to address your question to the poster Vision as we had a discussion and a disagreement about right-footed left-backs about 15 years ago.

Chris Gunter?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 Dec 2020 10:23

Winston Biscuit 7 years after Ferguson has left and I think people just haven't adjusted their expectation levels tbh. 2 points off 4th and 5 points off top spot with a game in hand on everyone above them. Doesn't seem disastrous to me

It’s not and I think Sanger’s nailed it when he said that inconsistency is Utd’s biggest failing at the moment. 1 week they look like world beaters and the next they huff and puff their way to a 1-1 draw at home to Burnley.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 11 Dec 2020 10:25

Hendo
Winston Biscuit 7 years after Ferguson has left and I think people just haven't adjusted their expectation levels tbh. 2 points off 4th and 5 points off top spot with a game in hand on everyone above them. Doesn't seem disastrous to me

It’s not and I think Sanger’s nailed it when he said that inconsistency is Utd’s biggest failing at the moment. 1 week they look like world beaters and the next they huff and puff their way to a 1-1 draw at home to Burnley.

Agree, but that is a lot of teams tbh. In general, outside of 1 or 2 pushing for the title and 1 or 2 looking nailed on to go down the rest are pretty inconsistent. Seems to be the football fans biggest complaint about their own club. It's just football.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 Dec 2020 10:29

Winston Biscuit
Hendo

Agree, but that is a lot of teams tbh. In general, outside of 1 or 2 pushing for the title and 1 or 2 looking nailed on to go down the rest are pretty inconsistent. Seems to be the football fans biggest complaint about their own club. It's just football.

Yep, totally agree. Which makes all the bed wetting on your twitters, facebooks and team boards a bit pointless. I’m quite happy with inconsistency if it means we’re not constantly shit.

5752 posts