Swansea City

143 posts
Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Swansea City

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 18 Jul 2011 18:50

Royalee
Royalee LOL at another anti Rodgers thread - he won, you were wrong, get over it. Rodgers = Premiership manager with ambition, McDermott = yes man who knows how to play long ball football to get the most out of limited funding from our board.

So Swansea beating Reading in the final proves he's not only a better manager, but shouldn't have been sacked?

Good for you to point out somebody being obsessed with Rodgers though...

They beat us 3 times last season and played much better football - proves the club were silly to sack him and I know which position I'd rather be in.

So you believe that if we'd kept Brendan the team would be playing the same football and be in the premier league now?

zummerset

by zummerset » 18 Jul 2011 18:59

God you are a bore Royalee - you are ignoring the fact that Rodgers went to a club already playing a passing game under Martinez and simply picked up where he left off. Right man in the right place with the right players lucky him. He was a massive clown at Reading and was about as far away from our style as he could be and couldn't articulate what he wanted.

However you and him do share some traits - talking bollocks self importantly mainly...

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 19 Jul 2011 13:06

zummerset God you are a bore Royalee - you are ignoring the fact that Rodgers went to a club already playing a passing game under Martinez and simply picked up where he left off. Right man in the right place with the right players lucky him. He was a massive clown at Reading and was about as far away from our style as he could be and couldn't articulate what he wanted.

However you and him do share some traits - talking bollocks self importantly mainly...

Quoted so that we can share this rare embrace of agreement.

You big fairy.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 19 Jul 2011 13:16

Rev Algenon Stickleback H So you believe that if we'd kept Brendan the team would be playing the same football and be in the premier league now?

I don't think we'd be far off, no.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 19 Jul 2011 13:25

Royalee
Rev Algenon Stickleback H So you believe that if we'd kept Brendan the team would be playing the same football and be in the premier league now?

We weren't that far off the Prem last season were we. A shoddy defensive display in the first half didn't help. Plus, had Karacan's shot gone in then I am convinced, along with many Swansea fans, that Swansea would have imploded.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 19 Jul 2011 13:42

Terminal Boardom
Royalee

We weren't that far off the Prem last season were we. A shoddy defensive display in the first half didn't help. Plus, had Karacan's shot gone in then I am convinced, along with many Swansea fans, that Swansea would have imploded.

I'm not so sure - every time we pushed forward and got caught Swansea looked like they would score. I'd much rather see us play the football Swansea do rather than the long ball rubbish we serve up most of the time. Squad-wise we're weaker if anything than when McDermott took over now, which is worrying. Two full backs who are past it, only one proven centre back on the books and no creativity in central midfield. Add to that we'll sell our best forward and Madejski won't replace him and the short-termism of the club and McDermott's leadership is there for all to see.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 19 Jul 2011 14:00

Royalee I'd much rather see us play the football Swansea do rather than the long ball rubbish we serve up most of the time.

I could not agree with you more

Royalee Squad-wise we're weaker if anything than when McDermott took over now, which is worrying. Two full backs who are past it, only one proven centre back on the books and no creativity in central midfield.

Agreed to a point. Playing 4 in midfield with 2 wide players requires 2 strong CMs to be able to do box to box - not necessarily to be creative. Have 3 creative midfielders and we get over run. Full backs? have you read my thoughts elsewhere - esp on Harte?

Royalee Add to that we'll sell our best forward and Madejski won't replace him and the short-termism of the club and McDermott's leadership is there for all to see.

Long hasn't gone yet. Short term could be a problem if he goes but long term, the club will be secure because of the financial management and refusal to splash money around. One thing is for sure, if the club is struggling at the wrong end of ther table in December, BMcD will be given funds to secure the necessary resources.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 19 Jul 2011 15:05

rhroyal I'm concerned about Swansea even before players leave. Their game plan in the Championship was based entirely around being better at keeping possession than everybody else. They didn't have to defend much, they had plenty of opportunities to probe the opposition's backline. They were very good at it.

However in the Premiership, opponents will be better with possession too. Not just Arsenal. Can Swansea have 60-65% of the ball most weeks next season, as they have down here? I doubt it. That means they need to work on their defending. We only really had 20-30 minutes on top against them at Wembley. We scored 2 in that time, hit the post and it honestly could have been more. Their defence looked incapable of stopping our Championship frontline, regardless of the superiority their midfield had for the majority of the game.

Now they'll lose that midfield superiority, and they're combating Premiership frontlines.

I also have similar worries about QPR, and specifically Taarabt. He has the license in the Championship to try, try and try again until something comes off. He loses the ball so often, but in the Championship Faurlin and Derry just win it back before the opposition can hurt them. Won't happen in the Premiership. Taarabt will have to stop giving possession away so often up there, or they could suffer.

I'm not worried about them at all.

Strange that. :shock:

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 19 Jul 2011 15:28

Royalee
I'm not so sure - every time we pushed forward and got caught Swansea looked like they would score. I'd much rather see us play the football Swansea do rather than the long ball rubbish we serve up most of the time. Squad-wise we're weaker if anything than when McDermott took over now, which is worrying. Two full backs who are past it, only one proven centre back on the books and no creativity in central midfield. Add to that we'll sell our best forward and Madejski won't replace him and the short-termism of the club and McDermott's leadership is there for all to see.

Agree with all of that. Don't think i'll ever forgive griffin and zurab for their woeful performances that day. After all the play-off pains we've had before and that would have been known by them...they turn up and play like that and just deny every reading fan their dream.

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 19 Jul 2011 17:06

they didn't play crap on purpose

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 19 Jul 2011 19:00

Royalee I'm not so sure - every time we pushed forward and got caught Swansea looked like they would score.

They didn't. For all the talk of how much they'd skin us for pace, they hardly got behind us at all. It was just a shame we gave them gifts. Sometimes players who have been great all season make mistakes. It's not as if people were labelling Griffin and Zurab as liabilities before the game.

I'd much rather see us play the football Swansea do rather than the long ball rubbish we serve up most of the time.
So would I, to an extent, although if Swansea were so much better than us, why did they finish a mere 3 points ahead? I'd also rather watch to football we play under McDermott that the soul-sapping pointless football we played under Rodgers.

Squad-wise we're weaker if anything than when McDermott took over now, which is worrying.

I guess if Brendan was still here we wouldn't have had to sell players, and we could have carried on shelling out £2-3 million a year on new players.

Add to that we'll sell our best forward and Madejski won't replace him and the short-termism of the club and McDermott's leadership is there for all to see.

what does McDermott do that's "short-term?" Yes, the odd loan signing, but Swansea had one or two of those two.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 20 Jul 2011 11:55

Wax Jacket they didn't play crap on purpose

Sure they did. They were on poor performance-related pay from The Mad so that we didn't promoted you tool.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Jul 2011 17:38

LOLLY @ Royalee pushing his boring agenda and starting the same old bollocks argument when the thread had nothing to do with Rodgers. Talk about obssessed.

zummerset

by zummerset » 20 Jul 2011 17:39

Row Z Royal
zummerset God you are a bore Royalee - you are ignoring the fact that Rodgers went to a club already playing a passing game under Martinez and simply picked up where he left off. Right man in the right place with the right players lucky him. He was a massive clown at Reading and was about as far away from our style as he could be and couldn't articulate what he wanted.

Quoted so that we can share this rare embrace of agreement.

You big fairy.

Sniff...tear in eye

swansea jack

by swansea jack » 05 Aug 2011 09:44

Just got tix to Citeh away 8)

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 05 Aug 2011 10:45

One of the best away performances I went to was at Manchester City away.
Litaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

M-U-R-T-Y
Hob Nob Regular

by M-U-R-T-Y » 05 Aug 2011 10:59

When Man City win the treble, I will remember this result.

http://www.royals.org/matdoc/030207.html

Their first team XI aside.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 05 Aug 2011 12:03

readingbedding One of the best away performances I went to was at Manchester City away.
Litaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

and one of the worst when Stephen Ireland scored a screamer with pretty well the last kick of the game.

bassavage

by bassavage » 05 Aug 2011 12:20

M-U-R-T-Y When Man City win the treble, I will remember this result.

http://www.royals.org/matdoc/030207.html

Their first team XI aside.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xdbj1h ... 3-02_sport

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xdbj4b ... 3-02_sport

Those were the days.

What are the chances of him doing it again in 10 days time?

swansea jack

by swansea jack » 06 Aug 2011 12:07

^probably slim.

No game for us today :wink:

143 posts