John Terry

920 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: John Terry

by Hoop Blah » 26 Oct 2011 13:41

soggy biscuit
No Fixed Abode Does saying 'oxf*rd black bitch" make someone racist anyway? So even if she did say that, doesn't mean she is racist.

making a comment about someone's race when insulting them would usually indicate you have issues with that race

Not sure I'd agree with that. I'd often call someone a fat c**t without having a problem with their weight and, in certain circumstances, I've probably done the same with their race. That's not because I have a problem with their weight or race but I'm just looking for, in the heat of the moment, an insult that I know will get to them and wind them up.

I think there's a big difference between a racial insult and a racially motivated insult. The latter is a more serious issue.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 26 Oct 2011 14:01

Exactly what I was going to say Hoop Blah.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 26 Oct 2011 14:07

No Fixed Abode Exactly what I was going to say Hoop Blah.

:lol:

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 26 Oct 2011 19:50

Better being a black kunt than a thick kunt.

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 26 Oct 2011 19:55

Err, no.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 26 Oct 2011 21:50

rfcjoe Err, no.

Not a suprising claim all told.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 27 Oct 2011 08:22

Gr8 piece by Matthew Syed in The Times yesterday on Terry. Basically saying that Terry's either the most unlucky and misunderstood footballer out there, given all the situations he's managed to get himself into, which he always claims are through no fault of his own. Or he's a reprehensible chancer.

If that is what he said, LOL @ him shouting “Oi, I didn’t call you a black c**t”. Probably not the best way to tell someone you didn’t say something racist.

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 27 Oct 2011 10:15

Ideal
who are ya? The clip I saw of the supposed incident looks like JT's mouthing "you blind kunt" rather than "you black kunt".

Isn't the interesting part that Terry doesn't deny saying it, he just says it is out of context.

I thought that what happened was that Ferdinand accused him of saying it, Terry turned round and said ' no, I didn't call you a black kunt' and that's what people picked up on. Hence the out of context

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 27 Oct 2011 11:02

Hoop Blah
soggy biscuit
No Fixed Abode Does saying 'oxf*rd black bitch" make someone racist anyway? So even if she did say that, doesn't mean she is racist.

making a comment about someone's race when insulting them would usually indicate you have issues with that race

Not sure I'd agree with that. I'd often call someone a fat c**t without having a problem with their weight and, in certain circumstances, I've probably done the same with their race. That's not because I have a problem with their weight or race but I'm just looking for, in the heat of the moment, an insult that I know will get to them and wind them up.

I think there's a big difference between a racial insult and a racially motivated insult. The latter is a more serious issue.

I can see your point, but how are people supposed to know whether someones really a racist or just using a racial insult? Don't want to be called a racist, don't use racial insults, it's not hard.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Oct 2011 11:10

Hoop Blah
soggy biscuit

Agree with this. Black / ginger / fat / speccy is a description, personalising it to them, not an insult.

If it's racially motivated I'd expected something different to "black"

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 27 Oct 2011 11:20

Ideal
southbank1871 LOL @ him shouting “Oi, I didn’t call you a black c**t”. Probably not the best way to tell someone you didn’t say something racist.

Yeah, it's not going to go down well if you say that to a person in the pub..

Depends what pub you drink in

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 27 Oct 2011 11:34

who are ya?
Ideal
southbank1871 LOL @ him shouting “Oi, I didn’t call you a black c**t”. Probably not the best way to tell someone you didn’t say something racist.

Yeah, it's not going to go down well if you say that to a person in the pub..

Depends what pub you drink in

The Black Boy in Shinfield might let it go

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 27 Oct 2011 12:12

St Pauli I can see your point, but how are people supposed to know whether someones really a racist or just using a racial insult? Don't want to be called a racist, don't use racial insults, it's not hard.

I think the motivation for an attack (verbal or physical) is often pretty clear. It's not black and white (excuse the pun) no, but then nothing in the real world is.

If I have a row with the player I'm marking during a game because he takes offence at being kicked or we both challenge a bit late the ball, and I call him a b**** c*** as we square up, I think that's pretty clear that the incident is caused by something that isn't racially motivated. Obviously I (or he) might be more inclined to square up to me if he doesn't like the colour of my skin, but the use of the language doesn't support that either way.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 27 Oct 2011 12:14

YateleyRoyal
Ideal
who are ya? The clip I saw of the supposed incident looks like JT's mouthing "you blind kunt" rather than "you black kunt".

Isn't the interesting part that Terry doesn't deny saying it, he just says it is out of context.

I thought that what happened was that Ferdinand accused him of saying it, Terry turned round and said ' no, I didn't call you a black kunt' and that's what people picked up on. Hence the out of context

When I watched it in slow-mo I don't think you could see the addition of the 'a' in 'I didn't call you a b**** c***." All you could see was 'you b**** c***.'

I'm not sure Terry's defence is that strong to be honest.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 27 Oct 2011 12:16

Hoop Blah
St Pauli I can see your point, but how are people supposed to know whether someones really a racist or just using a racial insult? Don't want to be called a racist, don't use racial insults, it's not hard.

I think the motivation for an attack (verbal or physical) is often pretty clear. It's not black and white (excuse the pun) no, but then nothing in the real world is.

If I have a row with the player I'm marking during a game because he takes offence at being kicked or we both challenge a bit late the ball, and I call him a b**** c*** as we square up, I think that's pretty clear that the incident is caused by something that isn't racially motivated. Obviously I (or he) might be more inclined to square up to me if he doesn't like the colour of my skin, but the use of the language doesn't support that either way.

I’ve called some a cnut plenty of times during a game before, including the ref, but never referred to their skin colour in doing so. I can’t see why such an insult would come naturally, even in the heat of the moment. Worth making a distinction between calling someone a black cnut, and calling them a fat cnut, which are two entirely different things.

Back on subject, ‘greed with HB, based on the TV photos, Terry’s defence looks shaky.

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 27 Oct 2011 12:24

Hoop Blah When I watched it in slow-mo I don't think you could see the addition of the 'a' in 'I didn't call you a b**** c***." All you could see was 'you b**** c***.'

Black's not a swear word

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 27 Oct 2011 12:54

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 27 Oct 2011 14:15

who are ya?
Hoop Blah When I watched it in slow-mo I don't think you could see the addition of the 'a' in 'I didn't call you a b**** c***." All you could see was 'you b**** c***.'

Black's not a swear word

Never said it was. I don't really feel it's necessary to keep repeating what I think is a pretty low turn of phrase though, even if by *** out the words make it patently clear what's being said.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 27 Oct 2011 17:10

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 27 Oct 2011 17:13

QPR have denied themselves that any player has put in a statement

920 posts