Even More Plastics at Football

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Even More Plastics at Football

by Jackson Corner » 18 Nov 2011 14:36

I went to both QPR and Luton in the 80's and the football was dreadfull, no surpise both clubs had massive success in that period.
I was there when QPR suffered a rare home defeat to Reading in first round of the Simod cup we spanked them 3-1 so maybe we should have gone down that route?

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 18 Nov 2011 15:28

I've been playing twice a week on the 3g pitch for years now along with continuing to play on grass pitches. While there is no at the 3g is miles better than the sand based astro pitches and most grass pitches i play on they still don't compare to a good grass pitch. the difference is noticeable in terms of technique needed to get decent connection on the ball. Also you can't wear studs.

Shit players like me Will adapt easier but top players who play in boots on grass every day and where football is second nature Will be at a disadvantage on this 3g

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 18 Nov 2011 15:33

I might respectfully suggest that the ability of Lionel Messi to adapt to the pitch conditions >>>>>>> the ability of you to do the same.

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 18 Nov 2011 15:53

Wrong mate.

Like golf, give me any club and I'll hit the same shot. give a pro different clubs and you'll see a difference.

At the top level smaller margins make bigger differences.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 18 Nov 2011 15:57

smaller margins mean you can fit more words in

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 18 Nov 2011 16:06

TheMaraudingDog Wrong mate.

Like golf, give me any club and I'll hit the same shot. give a pro different clubs and you'll see a difference.

Not quite. Give you any two golf clubs and you won't be able to perceive the difference between the two shots, whereas a pro can, and so could adapt.

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 18 Nov 2011 16:17

cmonurz

Not quite. Give you any two golf clubs and you won't be able to perceive the difference between the two shots, whereas a pro can, and so could adapt.

Why do you think teams with lesser ability and fitness when playing against top sides let the grass grow longer? Its because it will close the gulf in class. It will have more of an impact on the better side. As it happens 3g has longer blades than a top pitch.

Comonurz, your arrogance in subjects that you have no idea on is astonishing. May i politely suggest that before you continue on this thread you spend some time playing football as quite frankly you are speaking out of your arse.

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 18 Nov 2011 16:20

cmonurz

And you've totally missed my point here. Give me a £20 5 iron and a £200 5 iron and I'll hit the same shot where as a pro would hit the same shot better with the more expensive club.

Toon Toon Blue army

by Toon Toon Blue army » 19 Nov 2011 15:54

You can wear studs on 3g pitches.

There is no doubt a good grass pitch is better than 3g. But most pitches are sh*t even at professional clubs, so 3g would be better imo.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 19 Nov 2011 15:59

No one answered why, if 3G is so good aren't the other grass based sports asking for them?

They're just playground surfaces at the end of the day made of crumbled rubber with "grass" put in them to pretend they're a pitch

Funnily enough the unpredicatbility of pitches, the compensating for different conditions is one of the things that makes football

Why do we want footie to be the equivalent of US car-racing ovals - predictable, the same wherever played, etc.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 19 Nov 2011 16:01

TheMaraudingDog
Why do you think teams with lesser ability and fitness when playing against top sides let the grass grow longer? Its because it will close the gulf in class. It will have more of an impact on the better side. As it happens 3g has longer blades than a top pitch.

Comonurz, your arrogance in subjects that you have no idea on is astonishing. May i politely suggest that before you continue on this thread you spend some time playing football as quite frankly you are speaking out of your arse.

You've missed the point spectacularly. If plastic pitches are re-introduced, even only at a number of smaller clubs, the top players will be exposed to those pitches more and more and will have no problem adapting to playing on them. As with the golf analogy - sure, a pro's first shot with a 10 year old Wilson club might be average, but give him half an hour with it and he'll be striking it clean as you like.

As for your little hissy fit in the second paragraph, I 'politely suggest' you learn to respect other's opinions and have the decency to just make your points, rather than turning so many discussions into a point-scoring rant where you denigrate the poster as well as their opinions.

Uke - I don't think that's an accurate description of what is more a 'technology' than just a rubber mat.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 19 Nov 2011 16:03

cmonurz Uke - I don't think that's an accurate description of what is more a 'technology' than just a rubber mat.

It's roughly how it was described on R5L yesterday by a person who was representing the stuff! Maintenance involves tipping buckets of rubber granules on the "turf"

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 19 Nov 2011 16:09

cmonurz Because it is used across leagues in Europe, seemingly with no issue.

Spurs had issues with the Young Boys pitch IIRC.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 19 Nov 2011 16:13

No Fixed Abode
cmonurz Because it is used across leagues in Europe, seemingly with no issue.

Spurs had issues with the Young Boys pitch IIRC.

No grass on the Young Boys' pitch?

:nopaedo:

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 19 Nov 2011 16:40

cmonurz
TheMaraudingDog

You've missed the point spectacularly. If plastic pitches are re-introduced, even only at a number of smaller clubs, the top players will be exposed to those pitches more and more and will have no problem adapting to playing on them. As with the golf analogy - sure, a pro's first shot with a 10 year old Wilson club might be average, but give him half an hour with it and he'll be striking it clean as you like

Yes, he'll strike it cleanly but still won't get distance and accuracy as what he'd get with his £££ new club which shows once again you're missing the point.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 19 Nov 2011 16:44

No I'm not. You're talking about a one-off shot, or one-off game on a synthetic pitch, I'm talking about the wide scale re-introduction of plastic pitches into football, and I think we'll see a domino effect once one or two clubs go ahead with it.

Arsenal, Liverpool and Barcelona already have synthetic training pitches used mainly by their academy players - it won't take the top players much time to get used to play on a very slightly different surface, any more than it would have taken Spurs no more than a couple of extra training sessions to really a handle on playing at Young Boys artificial pitch.

And your point above about the golf pro hitting it better with a more expensive club makes the strange implication that a grass pitch is intrinsically 'better' than an artificial one. Given the number of variables in a grass surface, I can't see how that analogy works.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 19 Nov 2011 16:49

cmonurz Arsenal, Liverpool and Barcelona already have synthetic training pitches used mainly by their academy players.

But this is where the placcy pitches are useful - training in all weathers. Not for the real match though

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 19 Nov 2011 16:52

I don't see the difference. If it's good for training in a frost, or wet conditions, why not the match?

I don't see partially waterlogged or frozen pitches as a necessity to competitive football.