Gary Speed

307 posts
chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Gary Speed

by chilipepper91 » 27 Nov 2011 14:25

who are ya? Hands up anyone who's had a joke sent through about Gary Speed

*raises hand*

I found out about it through the Sickipedia Twitterbot...

swansea jack

by swansea jack » 27 Nov 2011 14:35

Royal Lady They could have paid their respects by adhering to the request for a minute's silence and then, after that, clapped and chanted his name. Normally, if a minute's hand clapping is preferred, this is announced over the PA system.

:roll:

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 27 Nov 2011 14:45

Big Foot
Royal Lady
Chaney i really wish the crowd had stuck to the minutes silence, clapping just doesn`t seem right somehow.

Yes, I thought this. His death is a complete tragedy and he was so young. The PA guy specifically asked for a minute's silence and I felt it was a bit disrespectful for some to start clapping.

Agreed

yes and no. with there always being one or two idiots who want to shout obscenities to the welsh, or the welsh to the english, i think an applause seemed the best thing to do.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 27 Nov 2011 14:46

You can roll your eyes all you like, it's the truth.

Croydon Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Croydon Royal » 27 Nov 2011 14:51

Shocked. Thoughts with his friends and family. Some very moving interviews on 5Live with Robbie Savage and Dan Walker, both who spoke to him yesterday and saw absolutely no clues that something like this would happen less than 24 hours later.

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 27 Nov 2011 14:51

It's not what the directors want though, It's their national manager and if 20'000 Welsh fans want to clap in support of the managers life they should be able to. To even suggest it's disrespectful is absurd.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 27 Nov 2011 15:09

If people want to show their support and respect in a way which they feel is more appropriate, then good luck to them. It's not as if they were booing or showing any disprespect, is it?

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 27 Nov 2011 15:12

Agree with Dirk and Llew and others. If 20 000 people wanted to show their affection and respect for the man in this way, what's the problem? Who are we to tell them how to do it?

terrible news, RiP.

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 27 Nov 2011 15:20

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15911088.stm

This interview with Robbie Savage really says it all. Unbelievable, I think he's still in shock. By the end of the interview he's full of tears and can't answer the questions.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 27 Nov 2011 15:28

LUX Agree with Dirk and Llew and others. If 20 000 people wanted to show their affection and respect for the man in this way, what's the problem? Who are we to tell them how to do it?

terrible news, RiP.

Because they didn't ALL clap etc - if you saw the tv pictures, there were fans shaking their heads at those who were clapping. It just comes down to people doing what they want, with no respect for anyone else, as is usual in life. The PA announcement said "a minute's silence" - and that's what it should have been, out of respect for Gary Speed and his family - not what they, individually, DECIDED to do. If the PA bloke at Reading says please keep off the pitch, is it ok for a few to decide to run on it? No. You respect what you are asked to do. At least, that's how I was brought up.

Anyway, it digresses from the main point of this thread, which is to mourn a talented and well-liked footballer and manager - who had even bigger and better things ahead of him. :cry:

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 27 Nov 2011 15:32

Royal Lady
LUX Agree with Dirk and Llew and others. If 20 000 people wanted to show their affection and respect for the man in this way, what's the problem? Who are we to tell them how to do it?

terrible news, RiP.

Because they didn't ALL clap etc - if you saw the tv pictures, there were fans shaking their heads at those who were clapping. It just comes down to people doing what they want, with no respect for anyone else, as is usual in life. The PA announcement said "a minute's silence" - and that's what it should have been, out of respect for Gary Speed and his family - not what they, individually, DECIDED to do. If the PA bloke at Reading says please keep off the pitch, is it ok for a few to decide to run on it? No. You respect what you are asked to do. At least, that's how I was brought up.

Anyway, it digresses from the main point of this thread, which is to mourn a talented and well-liked footballer and manager - who had even bigger and better things ahead of him. :cry:

Clapping as a sign of respect for your national manager is a bit different to running on the pitch RL

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15910765.stm

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 27 Nov 2011 15:33

I'm talking about being ASKED to do something. Are you watching the MINUTE silence at Liverpool game. Fans clapped beforehand and are then silent for a minute (with the exception of one idiot).

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 27 Nov 2011 15:36

Royal Lady I'm talking about being ASKED to do something. Are you watching the MINUTE silence at Liverpool game. Fans clapped beforehand and are then silent for a minute (with the exception of one idiot).

How you show your respect should be left to yourself, if they'd like to clap in memory of his life let them do so without people complaining.

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 27 Nov 2011 15:38

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 27 Nov 2011 15:46

Really really sad news. Lets not ruin a tribute to one of the greatest British footballers of the modern era through typical HNA bickering.

RIP Gary.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 27 Nov 2011 15:56

winchester_royal Really really sad news. Lets not ruin a tribute to one of the greatest British footballers of the modern era through typical HNA bickering.

RIP Gary.

"one of the greatest British footballers of the modern era"

Had you posted this before his death, most people would be laughing at you for saying this

postwhisperer

by postwhisperer » 27 Nov 2011 15:58

RIP

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 27 Nov 2011 15:59

Big Foot
winchester_royal Really really sad news. Lets not ruin a tribute to one of the greatest British footballers of the modern era through typical HNA bickering.

RIP Gary.

Had you posted this before his death, most people would be laughing at you for saying this

Why?

Played at the top level for many many years.

In terms of premiership appearances he is right up there.

And a thoroughly nice man to boot.

Speed>>>>>>>>Muppets like Gazza. IMHO of course.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 27 Nov 2011 16:08

Big Foot

RIP Gary.

677 league appearances, most of which in the top flight with over 100 goals...yeah, laughable. :roll:

RIP Gary Speed, one of the greatest British footballers of the modern era.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 27 Nov 2011 16:10

winchester_royal
Speed>>>>>>>>Muppets like Gazza. IMHO of course.

Jesus christ, get a grip.

Gazza has hurt himself more than he's hurt anyone else and these comments are needless on a thread like this.

I think the Swansea fans singing/clapping is a bit weird, but its not meant to be disrespectful in any way. It should all be about intent.

307 posts