Euro 2012 - Knockout Stages

652 posts
sheshnu

Re: Euro 2012 - Knockout Stages

by sheshnu » 28 Jun 2012 23:14

winchester_royal Doesn't that seem a little ridiculous though given the 2-goal hero tonight plays in...yes you guessed it...England.

We're not very good at keeping the ball so get tired chasing the ball around all the time. It's as simple as that, no need for conspiracy theories about a winter break.

Not sure Mario gets too tired chasing the ball around every week - and he makes sure he has a few holidays every season. I say every, only really 'watched' him this time around.

But yeah, England need to keep the ball if they ever actually want to get anywhere; this (I thought outdated but apparently not) huff n puff style will get them... exactly where they are now.

Lovely finishes though, good lad.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 28 Jun 2012 23:18

sheshnu
winchester_royal Doesn't that seem a little ridiculous though given the 2-goal hero tonight plays in...yes you guessed it...England.

We're not very good at keeping the ball so get tired chasing the ball around all the time. It's as simple as that, no need for conspiracy theories about a winter break.

Not sure Mario gets too tired chasing the ball around every week - and he makes sure he has a few holidays every season. I say every, only really 'watched' him this time around.

But yeah, England need to keep the ball if they ever actually want to get anywhere; this (I thought outdated but apparently not) huff n puff style will get them... exactly where they are now.

Lovely finishes though, good lad.

Lets look at the England team

Not many of them have played regular football throughout the season. In fact many, if not all, have had injury breaks.

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 28 Jun 2012 23:59

Didn't bother reading back further than a few posts so I just lobbed that in as a +1

Not that I'm not interested, but these threads get clogged. I suppose that I could argue that an injury is different from a ban because a player loses his fitness (sharpness?) when injured, but just has a few days off when banned - the England squad was decimated by recent or present injuries. Mario played fewer games out of choice(?) - how many England players were rested/banned for a lot of their club games? (innocent question). Milner? Welbeck? (gr8 goal).

Blakey's Right Peg

by Blakey's Right Peg » 29 Jun 2012 00:30

Great committed stuff from the Italians, some classic last ditch defending going on tonight. How many chances did they have to kill it off though.

Starfish
Hob Nob Regular

by Starfish » 29 Jun 2012 00:51

I stand to win €300 if Italy win this thing (something I didn't believe myself, tbh, but something I also advertised on here) and I am really unhappy that Germany lost tonight (deservedly) but I can't help thinking that this puts Ireland's absolute shiteness into perspective a little. Croatia were very unlucky to go out, and the two finalists came out of the same group. We were abject and maybe it's clutching at straws, but I wonder if our performance (taking everything into consideration) was really worse than .. say .. Poland or Sweden? If I had claimed as much a week ago, I would have been laughed at. I am not saying we were not shite, but the final pairing offers an indication of the mountain we had to climb.

And btw, my whole 'bet' on Italy was based on them playing Germany in the semi-final. History repeats itself. Had England won on penalties on Sunday, Germany would now be in the final.

And I am very drunk. I am already regretting this post and I did not get laid tonight. I thank you.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 29 Jun 2012 08:23

Starfers, Ireland played well against Italy and troubled them more than England or, perhaps, Germany did.

I enjoyed both semi finals. On balance I want Spain to win the Final.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 29 Jun 2012 09:12

Italy were good but let's not take away from Germany's utterly appaling performance, pretty much summed up by the free kick they had as time ticked away which they decided to play short instead of hoofing into the box. It might not of made much difference as the ref blew almost straight away but at least try FFS!

FTR I masively <3 Balotelli, what a ledge!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 29 Jun 2012 10:25

I got the impression Keown was delighted to use the term "arrogant Germans" at HT and FT (re not attempting to snuff out the threat of Pirlo).

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 29 Jun 2012 10:43

Royal Rother I got the impression Keown was delighted to use the term "arrogant Germans" at HT and FT (re not attempting to snuff out the threat of Pirlo).

Point is, I thought they did try to put pressure on him but it still doesn't stop him moving the ball. It just means that Montolivo gets more space to deliver the killer ball instead and the likes of Marchisio and De Rossi are free to get forward and support the forwards.

All the talk of England being one dimensional is fair enough but it's being said by people who think just as one dimensionally if they think that simply man-marking Pirlo would stop Italy.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 29 Jun 2012 10:49

Hat off to Italy, I didn't give them much of a chance against the Germans, even if they have looked a bit wasteful in front of goal at times. I really wouldn't be surprised to see them beat the Spanish now.

At least it means England have yet again gone out of a tournament to eventual finalists and possible winners, and without actually losing to them. Perhaps we're not as bad as some like to make out?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 29 Jun 2012 11:03

No no no. I suspect it's only a mild suggestion you make, but please don't look for a brighter side here. It's that's sort of attitude that has resulted in complacency for decades.

We really are pretty rubbish in everything but fighting spirit, and that alone is never going to be enough to win anything.

Until that is accepted there's never going to be the sort of major shakeup that recent European Champions France and Spain (and the still emerging Germans) have undertaken.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 29 Jun 2012 11:44

Don't worry, it was largely tongue in cheek.

I do think people/media over play the negatives and undersell the positives of what's already been done though.

I actually think Sven, McLaren and Capello have some degree of culpability for not refreshing the squad enough over the years and trying to make the most of some of the attacking talent we have produced over the last 10 years or so.

PlasticRoyale
Hob Nob Regular

by PlasticRoyale » 29 Jun 2012 11:59

Well played Italy - tipped them for an early exit this tournament :oops:

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 29 Jun 2012 16:50

Anyone any ideas why UEFA have insisted all the teams in the finals have to have the flags and/or names of the teams they're playing emblazoned on their shirts?

GreaterTorontoRoyal

by GreaterTorontoRoyal » 29 Jun 2012 17:07

Barry the bird boggler Anyone any ideas why UEFA have insisted all the teams in the finals have to have the flags and/or names of the teams they're playing emblazoned on their shirts?

You mean like they always do at major tournaments?
Such as:

But with the flags as well?
I thought it just adds to the historical value/ authenticity of said kits in the future if they are ever auctioned for charity or something.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 29 Jun 2012 18:10

Ideal So.. the final will now decide which team is the most boring team in Europe. Can't say I am too excited.

:roll:

Italy and Spain have the most attempts on target in the entire tournament and Spain are the second highest scorers with Italy joint 3rd.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 29 Jun 2012 21:22

sandman Italy and Spain have the most attempts on target in the entire tournament and Spain are the second highest scorers with Italy joint 3rd.

Bit of a nonsense stat when you consider a) they've played the most games including an e/t game each and b) they had IreLOLand in their group.

I agree with your sentiment though - Italy in particular i've enjoyed watching. Some very talented players in their ranks.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 29 Jun 2012 22:16

Never has the phrase "You've answered your own question there" been more appropriate.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Jun 2012 22:22

will Germany v Portugal have the 3rd/4th place play-off embroidary thing going on?

daswonder

by daswonder » 29 Jun 2012 22:23

Ideal So, how come you guys find italy exciting, yet condemn England for playing the exact same style?
Italy, sit back, play the long through ball up at Balotelli, counterattack.
England, sit back, Gerrard attempts (fails) to play long through ball up, counterattack.

The two teams deploy virtually essentially the exact same gameplan, difference being Italy have Pirlo who can successfully pass it 50 yards with accuracy, and Italy don't have Parker who runs out of steam after 55 minutes in every match.

We play the same as England? Interesting opinion you have there.

I wouldn't call pressing up the pitch with the full backs while passing the ball around an interchangable midfield (with the odd longball but not with the frequency you seem to suggest and it has alot more variety than the Terry or Gerrard Hoof), with the win against Germans being less about the impact of Pirlo, rather the impact the rest of the midfield made. We may rely heavily on Pirlo but when you have that good of a player then of course you will play everything through him but then what team wouldn't? (Germany have Ozil, Spain have Xavi/Iniesta and Holland have Sneijder, I'll stop here as I could go on and on with the example).

Both goals against Germany also had nothing to do with Pirlo either, Cassano set up the first and Montolivo the second.

I am quite frankly embarassed that you have even compared us with England, I would go as far as saying there is absolutely nothing the same about either footballing nation.

652 posts