83%
Southampton
17%

Total votes: 145
floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

S8nts

by floyd__streete » 17 Jan 2013 12:24

Another terrific result for them from 2 down last night. I've said all season that they have a really good chance of staying up, plenty of goals in their team. And now they've seemingly added a bit of steel at the back, it is only 2 defeats in the last 12 league games for them. They got promoted behind us and yet they sit 6 points ahead of us in the league this time. Do you find it a bit galling to see that their owners have been willing/able to invest in some quality whereas we are still scouring the bargain bins? Or are you genuinely happy with us remaining dear old little circumspect Reading?

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

Re: S8nts

by Royal With Cheese » 17 Jan 2013 12:27

floyd__streete Another terrific result for them from 2 down last night. I've said all season that they have a really good chance of staying up, plenty of goals in their team. And now they've added a bit of steel at the back, it is only 2 defeats in the last 12 league games for them. They got promoted behind us and yet they sit 6 points ahead of us in the league this time. Do you find it a bit galling to see that their owners have been willing/able to invest in some quality whereas we are still scouring the bargain bins? Or are you genuinely happy with us remaining dear old little circumspect Reading?

What's their spending up to now? 40 million?

Spending's only worth it when they players turn out to be good and fit into the squad - otherwise they would just be QPR lite and we'd all be laughing at them.

Yes, we could spunk away 20/30 million but it wouldn't guarantee sucess.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 17 Jan 2013 12:31

Royal With Cheese Spending's only worth it when they players turn out to be good and fit into the squad - otherwise they would just be QPR lite and we'd all be laughing at them.

Yes, we could spunk away 20/30 million but it wouldn't guarantee sucess.

Broadly agree. Close the thread.

We must be the only fanbase in the country though to feel genuinely smug when we've been relegated, as I am certain we will be come May (or earlier) :lol:

I am disappointed with TSI though. They were going to 'take us to the next level', yet the signings we have made have hardly been the kind which we wouldn't have signed with Madejski in charge, lets be honest. Plus the only time we've heard from Anton this season was in the immediate aftermath of one of our rare league wins this season. Is there a 'game plan' at board level?

I might write Anton a stiff letter. On cardboard.

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 17 Jan 2013 12:33

How can they afford this?

They could give us something that's not so massively underwhelming as a League 1 midfielder. I'll settle for being 'whelmed'

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 17 Jan 2013 12:33

Not sure who Satents are, but most teams are better than us so I'll assume they are too.

C'MON U SATENTS.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 17 Jan 2013 12:34

They can go marching on as much as they like. I don't care.

The season isn't over yet. :wink:

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 17 Jan 2013 12:36

floyd__streete I am disappointed with TSI though. They were going to 'take us to the next level', yet the signings we have made have hardly been the kind which we wouldn't have signed with Madejski in charge, lets be honest. Plus the only time we've heard from Anton this season was in the immediate aftermath of one of our rare league wins this season. Is there a 'game plan' at board level?

But they have. Taking us to the next level has simply meant that we don't have to sell players - a curse that has lost us almost an entire prem squad in the last 5 years. If we do get relegated having the ability to hold onto players previously we'd have been forced to sell surely is a positive.

My presumption was we are full pelt into the WBA YOYO plan, year 1 of 5.

As an aside, who was the foppish bloke sitting next to Anton on Saturday (who, obivously, isn't Madejski)? Seemed to be enjoying more than Anton was!

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 17 Jan 2013 12:38

Royal With Cheese If we do get relegated having the ability to hold onto players previously we'd have been forced to sell surely is a positive.

I think the impact of this is over-cooked a little, tbh. Doyle for example would have left whether we 'had to sell' him or not.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 17 Jan 2013 12:38

Royal With Cheese My presumption was we are full pelt into the WBA YOYO plan, year 1 of 5.

IN for this then.

But I've saved the letter in 'Word' in any case. The anti-TSI backlash starts here, ie. one bloke posting on the internet 8). It's hardly Wittenburg Cathedral door, I realise this.
Last edited by floyd__streete on 17 Jan 2013 12:39, edited 1 time in total.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 17 Jan 2013 12:39

Couldn't give a phuck about Southampton or any other football club. This is my club, and they will always be no matter what standard we play at.

Anyway, LOLz etc.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 17 Jan 2013 12:39

I'm going with rich local friend who went to bearwood college.

Proper foppy looking he was.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 17 Jan 2013 12:39

cmonurz
Royal With Cheese If we do get relegated having the ability to hold onto players previously we'd have been forced to sell surely is a positive.

I think the impact of this is over-cooked a little, tbh. Doyle for example would have left whether we 'had to sell' him or not.

Yep, +1.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 17 Jan 2013 12:43

SPARTA Couldn't give a phuck about Southampton or any other football club. This is my club, and they will always be no matter what standard we play at.

+100000000000000

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 17 Jan 2013 12:43

Royal With Cheese
floyd__streete

5 year plan = waste of fooking time

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 17 Jan 2013 12:44

floyd__streete
cmonurz

Yep, +1.

I know where you're coming from. TBF Doyler gave it a fair crack of the whip - unlike that mad Irish idiot SHunt. Surely it would put us in a stronger negotiating position with potential purchasers and the ability to keep contracts in place if players decide to stay?

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 17 Jan 2013 12:45

creative_username_1
Royal With Cheese
floyd__streete

5 year plan = waste of fooking time

I'd gnaw my own leg off If we could be where WBA are now after a couple of relegations/promotions TBH.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 17 Jan 2013 12:54

Royal With Cheese I know where you're coming from. TBF Doyler gave it a fair crack of the whip - unlike that mad Irish idiot SHunt. Surely it would put us in a stronger negotiating position with potential purchasers and the ability to keep contracts in place if players decide to stay?

It's as simple as "I want to play in the Premier League and <insert any Premier League club> want to sign me."

If we go down, any players with PL ability, or even potential ability, like Morrison, may leave the club, no matter what we can offer them.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 17 Jan 2013 12:56

Royal With Cheese
floyd__streete I am disappointed with TSI though. They were going to 'take us to the next level', yet the signings we have made have hardly been the kind which we wouldn't have signed with Madejski in charge, lets be honest. Plus the only time we've heard from Anton this season was in the immediate aftermath of one of our rare league wins this season. Is there a 'game plan' at board level?

But they have. Taking us to the next level has simply meant that we don't have to sell players - a curse that has lost us almost an entire prem squad in the last 5 years. If we do get relegated having the ability to hold onto players previously we'd have been forced to sell surely is a positive.

As an aside, who was the foppish bloke sitting next to Anton on Saturday (who, obivously, isn't Madejski)? Seemed to be enjoying more than Anton was!

that is Anton's brother

more impoartantly, taking us to the next level may not involve players. Developing the academy and training facilties is including as well as having a better scouting network and better coaches, see Head and the new greek fella. it may take 4 or 5 years to come into fruitiion, but Anton never said it was going to be a quick fix either!

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 17 Jan 2013 12:57

gazzer, loyal royal more impoartantly, taking us to the next level may not involve players. Developing the academy and training facilties is including as well as having a better scouting network and better coaches, see Head and the new greek fella. it may take 4 or 5 years to come into fruitiion, but Anton never said it was going to be a quick fix either!

Whilst I appreciate it wasn't a 'we will be...' statement, saying that we hoped to be an established PL club in five years doesn't really tally with throwing money at the academy and then harvesting the results (or the ones that are left and not snapped up by bigger clubs).

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 17 Jan 2013 13:00

How does it not?

Establishing yourself as a prem club has as much to do with having the infrastructure to cope with the demands (including any and all supplemental income), as having good enough players.

244 posts