Football nice guys...

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

Football nice guys...

by TBM » 17 Sep 2013 16:48

Who would you say are the football nice guys?

Following Kaka asking not to be paid by Milan after picking up an injury in his first game back at the club....he's gotta be up there?!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24117343

No Fixed Abode

Re: Football nice guys...

by No Fixed Abode » 17 Sep 2013 18:31

TBM Who would you say are the football nice guys?

Following Kaka asking not to be paid by Milan after picking up an injury in his first game back at the club....he's gotta be up there?!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24117343

John Terry. I'm sure Stilian Petrov would agree.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 17 Sep 2013 20:55

Funnily enough I was going to do a "joke" list of people who aren't nice guys which would've included Terry and then I thought that A. that's a bit cringeworthy and B. that NFA would do it.

Anyway.

Iker Casillas - World and European Champion who has been at the world's biggest and richest club yet is still relatively down to Earth, good sportsman as evidenced by asking the ref to stop the European Championship final early out of respect for the opposition and writing to Barcelona to apologise for the brawl where Villanova was attacked for which he had to put up with Mourinho disrespecting and abusing him every day for over a year. Despite that still came out with this:

"I've nothing personal against him .Mourinho has embarked on a new journey and I wish him the best.".

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 18 Sep 2013 07:59

Craig Bellamy, set up a foundation in Sierra Leone that provides a football league and academy for 2000 kids, whilst encouraging school attendance and academic achievement.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 18 Sep 2013 09:17

Angelo di Livio - Stayed with Fiorentina when they went bankrupt and relelgated to the Italian 4th division and took the massive paycut.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 18 Sep 2013 09:22

6ft Kerplunk Angelo di Livio - Stayed with Fiorentina when they went bankrupt and relelgated to the Italian 4th division and took the massive paycut.

There have been a few Italians who have done that when their clubs went mental.

Also, when River got relegated to second level of Argentina ( :shock: and :lol: ) a couple of older players managed to wrangle moves back to help them back up for the season.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 18 Sep 2013 09:37

Not that he's donated 200% of his wages to charity or set up schools in third world countries, but I always thought Gareth Bale was an affable and down-to-earth chap, even though he does like to dive a bit. Hopefully the £300,000 a week doesn't go to his head, but on evidence of that pink shirt and hat he was wearing around Madrid, it might be too late.

Oh, and David Beckham.

11.30 from paddington

by 11.30 from paddington » 18 Sep 2013 10:06

Didier Drogba.

Has funded the building of hospitals back in Ivory Coast and also plays a large part in the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, following the civil war. Apparently he managed to get an African Nations Cup game played in a rebel region, purely to bring the rebels into the peace process.

Had no idea he did any of this until recently.

BKRoyale

by BKRoyale » 18 Sep 2013 10:51

11.30 from paddington Didier Drogba.

Has funded the building of hospitals back in Ivory Coast and also plays a large part in the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, following the civil war. Apparently he managed to get an African Nations Cup game played in a rebel region, purely to bring the rebels into the peace process.

Had no idea he did any of this until recently.

Is he the one that also pays lots of the travel costs for the international team as the associaton can't afford it or many of the other players who aren't so big time? I don't remember who that was....

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 18 Sep 2013 11:46

sandman Funnily enough I was going to do a "joke" list of people who aren't nice guys which would've included Terry and then I thought that A. that's a bit cringeworthy and B. that NFA would do it.

A lot of people in the footballing World will tell you what a nice/generous guy JT is. So he doesn't get on with some people in the game but that's life.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 18 Sep 2013 11:50

And even more people in football world will also tell you that JT is an utter twunt. He's clearly a Marmite personality, not that he'd like Marmite.

Anyway, back on topic and one of our own, Ulyses De La Cruz.

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 18 Sep 2013 12:14

A huge +1 to DLC. The Villa fans I know still think so highly of him due to what a nice guy he was. Habib Beye, for similar reasons.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 18 Sep 2013 12:47

Linvoy Primus.

Has done vast amounts for the local community in Portsmouth and is universally loved there.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 18 Sep 2013 12:49

Although I'm not sure about the title and the way this thread has developed. Some of the people mentioned so far aren't "nice guys" - they're utter cunts who just happen to give a part of their massive wealth away to charity.

A "nice guy" has to be genuinely and consistently "nice" - not just loaded and aware of how much good publicity they'll get from giving money away.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 18 Sep 2013 13:03

Jason Roberts. - On a mission to get black dominance in football and tweeting all the time about racism to further his own personal career off the field, whilst raping Reading Football Club for his wages.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 18 Sep 2013 13:12

I particularly enjoy his work rattLOLing you on the subject.
Last edited by sandman on 18 Sep 2013 13:51, edited 1 time in total.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 18 Sep 2013 13:31

YateleyRoyal A huge +1 to DLC. The Villa fans I know still think so highly of him due to what a nice guy he was. Habib Beye, for similar reasons.

+1 with panpipes on

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 18 Sep 2013 13:39

Bellamy has done some utterly stupid stuff in his time, seems a bit Jekyll and Hyde to me but to be fair to him his charity stuff is things he doesn't HAVE to do, and he's better for having done them than blown his wages on fast cars and drugs.

Have to put forward Phil Parkinson for a nomination. No idea if he supports any small African nations, but he gave away his testimonial cash before it became obligatory and when unlike some of the big name stars who make a fuss about it it actually represented more than just petty cash to him. Having met him a number of times he was also a very nice bloke with no airs and graces at all. I have no idea if success has changed him....

I also reckon Frank Lampard seems a decent bloke, polar opposite to Terry who represents just about all that is bad in the modern game.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 18 Sep 2013 14:20

Bellamy has done some utterly stupid stuff in his time, seems a bit Jekyll and Hyde to me but to be fair to him his charity stuff is things he doesn't HAVE to do, and he's better for having done them than blown his wages on fast cars and drugs.

My understanding of Bellamy is that if you're on his side or he's on yours, he'll die for you. If he gets it into his head that you're an enemy, then he's the nastiest bit of work on the planet. Jeckyll and Hyde indeed.

I think the telling thing with Phil Parkinson was that a relatively minor player who achieved very little in the grand scheme of things had such a big testimonial.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 18 Sep 2013 14:44

sandman I particularly enjoy his work rattLOLing you on the subject.

I'm not the one paying his wages like you though... :lol: