A chequered past

The_Sig

A chequered past

by The_Sig » 25 Sep 2013 11:16

Morning all,

Have just been reading an article on bbc sport about Ilombe Mboyo, a player whom West Ham nearly signed but for their fans voicing their outrage at his criminal past. The article goes on to explain that Mboyo, 17 at the time when he was involved in a gang rape on a minor, has become somewhat of a reformed character and is clearly a talented footballer. I'm interested to see what the reaction of Reading fans would be if we were in for a player with a chequered past. Do they deserve a second chance? Would there be a West Ham style outcry?

You can find the article here http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24064975

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

Re: A chequered past

by Sanguine » 25 Sep 2013 11:20

Read this article and wondered what the future holds for Ched Evans once he is released, he'll only be 26.

No reason that a rehabilitated criminal shouldn't make a living as a professional footballer, if they are good enough. But a rape conviction isn't just any crime. Not someone I'd want at Reading.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 25 Sep 2013 11:25

The shame with this kid is that he genuinely does seem to be rehabilitated.

The public aren't willing to forgive and forget though, it's a shame, but understandable.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 25 Sep 2013 11:36

Sanguine But a rape conviction isn't just any crime.

You don't know the details behind it though, as it says he was part of a violent street gang......whats not to say he was "forced" to take part in the rape? (he was only 17 at the time)

Doesn't mean he's gonna go round raping everyone he see's

But anyway, all these rappers are gangsters and are making fame/money which people are supporting/funding - why shouldn't an ex-con be able to do something they are good at?

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 25 Sep 2013 11:39

Would I want Marlon King here? No
Would I want Lee Hughes here? No
Would I want Ched Evans here? No
Would I want Luke McCormack here? No

The top two, quite simply because they do not seem to be reformed. There are still various reports of King being an uttercunt towards women and in general. The same with Hughes. I guess the jury is still out on Evans as you dont know what he will be like when released, although it still seems strange to me that he got sent down and not his mate.

Personally I do not think McCormack served long enough for his crime, but is also not good enough as a footballer.

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 25 Sep 2013 11:43

He was 17 when it happened and he's served his sentence. No reason why he shouldn't be given a chance.

The_Sig

by The_Sig » 25 Sep 2013 12:04

As TBM mentions...he was 17. I'm obviously not condoning what he did or saying that certain crimes are ok up until a certain age, but I'm not sure I feel some one deserves to be punished for the rest of their life for something they did when they were still really just a child. He'll have the shame and burden of that himself everyday. It's the willingness to reform and better himself which means that I would probably say yes I'd have him at this club.

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 25 Sep 2013 12:15

I dont think age has anything to do with it really. If he is reformed then he is reformed and should be treated as such. AFAIC a 17 year old knows what they are doing just as much as say, a 26 year old.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 25 Sep 2013 12:20

Bandini He was 17 when it happened and he's served his sentence. No reason why he shouldn't be given a chance.

Not sure I agree with this, being a footballer isn't just another job, it's a role that kids look up to and aspire to. There are plenty of roles in the public eye that wouldn't have him and I think football needs to be one of them.

Let him earn his crust as a coach or something but he's not someone I'd want to be on the playing staff at my club.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 25 Sep 2013 12:21

The real shame is the outcry has meant that a very successful prisoner rehabillitation project has been scrapped (for being successful :| ), and a load of other prisoners have just been dumped back into the system and ignored.

YateleyRoyal Would I want Marlon King here? No
Would I want Lee Hughes here? No
Would I want Ched Evans here? No
Would I want Luke McCormack here? No.

^^ The difference with those is that they were already footballers when they commited their crimes

Reformed criminal making a new life >>>>>>>>>>> scum footballer throwing theirs away

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 25 Sep 2013 12:22

Green
Bandini He was 17 when it happened and he's served his sentence. No reason why he shouldn't be given a chance.

Not sure I agree with this, being a footballer isn't just another job, it's a role that kids look up to and aspire to..

You don't think he could be a positive role model to all the kids in sink areas that find themselves drawn into gang culture etc ??

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 25 Sep 2013 12:22

What makes you all so sure he's rehabilitated anyway? Just because he's not been found guilty of another crime for a couple of years doesn't make him mother Theresa.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 25 Sep 2013 12:23

John Madejski's Wallet
Green

Not sure I agree with this, being a footballer isn't just another job, it's a role that kids look up to and aspire to..

You don't think he could be a positive role model to all the kids in sink areas that find themselves drawn into gang culture etc ??

Not really. Plenty of examples of footballers from such a background who have made it without going via the gang rape path.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by John Madejski's Wallet » 25 Sep 2013 12:24

Definately not the forgiving type are you?!

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 25 Sep 2013 12:25

John Madejski's Wallet Definately not the forgiving type are you?!

Lets suppose he was a talented presenter - would you give him a job on Blue Peter?

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by John Madejski's Wallet » 25 Sep 2013 12:25

Green
John Madejski's Wallet
Green Not sure I agree with this, being a footballer isn't just another job, it's a role that kids look up to and aspire to..

Not really. Plenty of examples of footballers from such a background who have made it without going via the gang rape path.

Yet few examples to the youth who do commit crime that if they work hard they can build a life for themslves away from crime .... rather than going straight back to it on release as society doesnt want them

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 25 Sep 2013 12:29

Green

Not sure I agree with this, being a footballer isn't just another job, it's a role that kids look up to and aspire to.

Where do you draw the line though?

If a footballer is caught taking drugs - should he deserve to come back after his ban?
What if he kung-fu kicks a fan in the stand?
How about drink-driving?
etc etc

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 25 Sep 2013 12:30

I'd take it on a case by case basis but as a rule I'd draw the line somewhere below murder and rape.

Kung fu kicking a paying spectator? Yep, Cantona should've been banned for life IMHO.

Football needs to clean up its act.

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 25 Sep 2013 13:02

Greeners - I can't see that people's foolish desire to see footballers as role models should be a reason to deny a man his livelihood.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 25 Sep 2013 13:05

Three strikes and you're out, imo. Give him a chance, if he rapes again, then he knows he's only got one more strike before we get rid.