Cloughie Ten Years Gone

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Cloughie Ten Years Gone

by sandman » 29 Sep 2014 18:37

Nameless
Big Foot
floyd__streete I'd like to see Mourinho build a provincial second tier club into champions of England within a matter of years.....twice over and without a bottomless pit of money to do so.

As much as I'd like to see Clough win the league in 4 different countries as well as win the European Cup/Champions League with 2 different clubs.

Winning the European Cup when it was a proper cup, and doing it twice with a provincial side is a pretty decent achievement. Probably better than doing it with 2 teams with no financial constraints.

Well obviously but you know how sensitive these Chelsea fans get.

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 29 Sep 2014 19:04

Big Foot
floyd__streete I'd like to see Mourinho build a provincial second tier club into champions of England within a matter of years.....twice over and without a bottomless pit of money to do so.

As much as I'd like to see Clough win the league in 4 different countries as well as win the European Cup/Champions League with 2 different clubs.

Yeah, but Mourinho couldn't do it whilst shit-faced.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 29 Sep 2014 19:20

Nameless
Big Foot

Winning the European Cup when it was a proper cup, and doing it twice with a provincial side is a pretty decent achievement. Probably better than doing it with 2 teams with no financial constraints.

So apart from taking a provincial team from 2nd Division also rans to double European Champions in 4 years with a team comprised largely of cast offs, what has Clough ever done?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Sep 2014 20:18

died ten years ago

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 17 Oct 2014 23:20

Just finished reading "Provided you don't kiss me" - cracking read, recommend to anyone with an interest in Clough or the era (thanks for the various recommendations to me on another thread)

One quote from the great man in the early 90's

I'm telling you in a few years time managers will have no power. The players will be in charge. They'll have wardrobes the size of houses, houses the size of castles and more cars than Formula One. They'll have agents and hair stylists and some lass in a short skirt to do their publicity.

Hard to make a comparison to the modern era as I don't believe Clough would have risen above Hartlepool now. There is no way any club would allow an autocrat like Clough to have anywhere near as much power as he wielded at Forest.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 17 Oct 2014 23:41

Was wondering if you read the book or not (having been one of a few to recommend). Glad you enjoyed it.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 17 Oct 2014 23:45

One quote from the great man in the early 90's

I'm telling you in a few years time managers will have no power. The players will be in charge. They'll have wardrobes the size of houses, houses the size of castles and more cars than Formula One. They'll have agents and hair stylists and some lass in a short skirt to do their publicity.

and everybody laughed at Enoch

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 18 Oct 2014 00:47

AthleticoSpizz One quote from the great man in the early 90's

and everybody laughed at Enoch

Not sure I see the relevance.

One was one of the best football managers ever, the other was a racist cunt

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 18 Oct 2014 20:47

Yes, but rational people scoffed at both

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World