46%
No
54%

Total votes: 155
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: What is the point in HRK

by Hoop Blah » 06 Jul 2016 10:49

To be fair the story is even more daft than that because the joke did actually lead to Robson-Kanu playing for them.

“I was in the training ground, in the canteen, speaking to Simon [Church] and in walked Glen Little, knowing why I was there to speak to Simon regarding Wales, and he pointed to Hal in the corner and shouted out all the way across the canteen ‘he can play for Wales because he goes on holiday there’. You know, it’s the old one [a joke],” Flynn told BBC Five Live.

“After I finished speaking to Simon, Hal was still there in the corner. So I went over to Hal and said: ‘Look, Glen knows me. It’s me who he’s taking the mickey out of, not you.’
“He said: ’No, I understand. But I do go to Wales. We take our caravan from Basingstoke, or around that area, and on the way down we pick my up grandmother in Caerphilly and then on to Tenby.’
“And that struck a note, obviously. I said, does your grandmother live in Caerphilly, he said ‘no, she was born there’. And that’s how it came about.

You couldn't make that up!

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 06 Jul 2016 11:10

John Smith
The Cap Why do the local news teams keep referring to the TWO Reading players in the Wales team? About time they kept up with the news ain' it?

howser I have to admit I do look forward to HRK following in the footsteps of Karacan, Pearce and Federici, in being the failure that most expect him to be.

Its fair to say those three have hardly set the world of football alight with their season transforming performances last year, can't see Kanu being any different.

Two very good posts here. GetReading clutching at straws.

Would it be wrong to say that the only players in recent history to have gone on to better things after leaving Reading are Shaka Hislop, Nicky Shorey, Shane Long and Gylfi? I woudln't call Kitson or Doyle's post-Royals careers a success, personally.

Steve Sidwell, Michail Antonio.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 06 Jul 2016 11:31

Hoop Blah To be fair the story is even more daft than that because the joke did actually lead to Robson-Kanu playing for them.

“I was in the training ground, in the canteen, speaking to Simon [Church] and in walked Glen Little, knowing why I was there to speak to Simon regarding Wales, and he pointed to Hal in the corner and shouted out all the way across the canteen ‘he can play for Wales because he goes on holiday there’. You know, it’s the old one [a joke],” Flynn told BBC Five Live.

“After I finished speaking to Simon, Hal was still there in the corner. So I went over to Hal and said: ‘Look, Glen knows me. It’s me who he’s taking the mickey out of, not you.’
“He said: ’No, I understand. But I do go to Wales. We take our caravan from Basingstoke, or around that area, and on the way down we pick my up grandmother in Caerphilly and then on to Tenby.’
“And that struck a note, obviously. I said, does your grandmother live in Caerphilly, he said ‘no, she was born there’. And that’s how it came about.

You couldn't make that up!

Hal desperately mentioning his welsh grandmother at the earliest opportunity :lol:
Last edited by Maneki Neko on 06 Jul 2016 11:33, edited 1 time in total.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 06 Jul 2016 11:32

Michail Antonio.

eventually

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 06 Jul 2016 23:11

tidus_mi2
John Smith
The Cap Why do the local news teams keep referring to the TWO Reading players in the Wales team? About time they kept up with the news ain' it?

howser I have to admit I do look forward to HRK following in the footsteps of Karacan, Pearce and Federici, in being the failure that most expect him to be.

Its fair to say those three have hardly set the world of football alight with their season transforming performances last year, can't see Kanu being any different.

Would it be wrong to say that the only players in recent history to have gone on to better things after leaving Reading are Shaka Hislop, Nicky Shorey, Shane Long and Gylfi? I woudln't call Kitson or Doyle's post-Royals careers a success, personally.

Kerry Dixon, Neil Webb, Lawrie Sanchez, Keith Curle, Simon Osborn

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Jul 2016 23:19

Uke
tidus_mi2
John Smith

Kerry Dixon, Neil Webb, Lawrie Sanchez, Keith Curle, Simon Osborn

I'd say Doyle was a success personally. Key player at Wolves whilst they stayed up.

Hunt did ok. TBH, I'd say Doyle and Hunt both did at least as well as Shorey.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 10 Jul 2016 17:45

Papers today talking of the clamour to sign him-Leicester, Hull, Swansea and Southampton interested in signing the "striker".
Hmm,I don't think Saints fans would be that chuffed to get him as a replacement for Mane.
He probably expects to sign for Leicester as he doubtless sees himself now not just as a Premier League player but one equipped for the Champions League.
It will be very interesting to see who signs him-I still think he might end up at Cardiff when the others realise that he doesn't do the Cruyf turn every game.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 11 Jul 2016 20:24

HRK isn't that bad a player but he needs better players around him to help his game

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 11 Jul 2016 21:34

He'll go to Hull and end up in the Championship after one season

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 11 Jul 2016 21:59

3points He'll go to Hull and end up in the Championship after one season

Nah, he'll go to Swansea and spend the next 3 years using up all the credit earned by that goal, mostly suffering niggling injuries that keep him from cementing a place in the team, thereby giving him the perfect excuse for failing to live up to expectations.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 11 Jul 2016 22:37

Swansea, then Cardiff on loan, followed up by Newport County, Airbus, Holyhead Hotspur, and finally the chicken factory on Anglesey.

JIM

by JIM » 12 Jul 2016 07:50

as he is no longer a ROYALS player Let it go please

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 12 Jul 2016 08:06

JIM as he is no longer a ROYALS player Let it go please

No problem, wish is my command...

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 12 Jul 2016 09:03

TBM HRK isn't that bad a player but he needs better players around him to help his game

Attitude and application would go a long way to making him a better play. Hull would be about right for him. He'll be found out very quickly and be back sulking in the Championship very soon.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 12 Jul 2016 09:30

John Jensen springs to mind when thinking about all the interest in HRK right now.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Jul 2016 11:53

In before the move.....

elmpark99

by elmpark99 » 12 Jul 2016 12:16

After his one "moment of magic" soon went back to his normal self . How many of his "many clubs interested from around the world" may have second thoughts after his next game performance?.
In fact they may now start looking at this Simon Church fellow as HRK was subbed for him!

No great loss for Reading.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 12 Jul 2016 12:31

Top Flight John Jensen springs to mind when thinking about all the interest in HRK right now.

A good call-we were talking in the office about post-tournament signings that never lived up to expectations and the one I always think of is El-Haj Diouf but I'm sure there are plenty more.
That Gunter fella looked the same type as Kyle Walker so surely he won't languish in the Championship for much longer. :wink:

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 12 Jul 2016 12:39

elmpark99 After his one "moment of magic" soon went back to his normal self . How many of his "many clubs interested from around the world" may have second thoughts after his next game performance?.
In fact they may now start looking at this Simon Church fellow as HRK was subbed for him!

No great loss for Reading.

HuLOL supposedly leading the race for his signature. :lol:

Binfield Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Binfield Royal » 12 Jul 2016 13:23

He's not incapable,

He is, for the most part, lazy and/or unwilling to give it 100% best effort for the full game - unless its for Wales or if he thinks he's in the shop window.

I am glad Reading are no longer responsible for his wages as, for me, he has never represented value for money.

Compare HRK's contribution to the team to the likes of Dave Kitson, Jobi Macanuff, Jamies Mackie, Kevin Doyle, Graeme Murty (there are many others). They all showed desire and passion which is so obviously lacking in HRK's Reading performances. Sadly, he's not the only one in recent seasons which is why, IMHO, we have been struggling.

Hopefully, new manager + new players = renewed passion and better results.

881 posts