Over Rated English players.....

No Fixed Abode

Re: Over Rated English players.....

by No Fixed Abode » 20 May 2015 11:39

Sanguine
TBM
Angry Shed Sex If Sterling can get an extra 5 million a year playing somewhere else I can't exactly blame him. And that's just the difference between the contract Liverpool are currently offering him and what City are purportedly willing to give him.

Even for footballers of today that would turn anyone's head.

Exactly

I mean Sterling isn't a boyhood Liverpool fan etc so not sure what loyalty he has to show them....its no different to any other player, Shaw, Walcott, Ox, Chambers etc all left to join a bigger club for more money

But they all joined a club by which to develop themselves as players - all the moves 'made sense' given where they were in their careers and development. Sterling's move does not. He will play less. He will play in his preferred position even less.

Liverpool fans these days have delusions of grandeur though. They think they should be able to keep their 'big' stars due to their 'history' and despite very patchy UCL qualifications over the years and not winning the title for 25 years.

Will he play less? I'm not so sure. At a more successful club he will have UCL football and possibly longer domestic cups runs. Granted he may be rotated a bit more, but play less? Probably not.

More money, bigger club, Champions League football. Why wouldn't he move? All Liverpool's best players in recent years leave. Javier Mascherano, Alonso, Torres, Reina, Suarez - Most of whom have left and achieved more things in the game than they would have done staying.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 20 May 2015 11:42

Sanguine
TBM
Angry Shed Sex If Sterling can get an extra 5 million a year playing somewhere else I can't exactly blame him. And that's just the difference between the contract Liverpool are currently offering him and what City are purportedly willing to give him.

Even for footballers of today that would turn anyone's head.

Exactly

I mean Sterling isn't a boyhood Liverpool fan etc so not sure what loyalty he has to show them....its no different to any other player, Shaw, Walcott, Ox, Chambers etc all left to join a bigger club for more money

But they all joined a club by which to develop themselves as players - all the moves 'made sense' given where they were in their careers and development. Sterling's move does not. He will play less. He will play in his preferred position even less.

Agree with TBM's earlier point though - we'd all turn out for Reading just for a chance put the kit on, nevermind a few grand a week.
In my mind, Sterling's decision is about whether he wants to collect medals, or win them. He can go to City and will probably have some winners' medals by this time next year; but how many of them will he have genuinely contributed to? How much will Andre Schurrle value his Premier League medal this season? Or Ross Turnbull his CL winners' medal?

Why do you say that Sterling will play less?

If he was to join Arsenal he would play more or less every week in a team renowned for developing young players, playing in the Champions League every season and being there or there abouts for the title race. Plus he would be back "home".

Sterling isn't another Sinclair, Rodwell etc - he's an established International player who is good enough to play at the very top (with the right team around him)

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 20 May 2015 11:46

Just my inkling. May prove very wrong. But can I see Sterling, of patchy form for his whole career, getting picked on pure ability every week over all of Welbeck, Walcott, Sanchez and Ox? No.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 20 May 2015 12:01

"Over Rated English players"

All of them.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 20 May 2015 12:01

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 20 May 2015 12:19

No Fixed Abode Good article by Neil Ashton.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -kids.html

McEachran is on £38,000 a week??

FU CKING HELL. :shock: :shock:

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 20 May 2015 12:21

Good piece. Funny cos as I was reading it I was thinking 'yeah, I bet Loftus-Cheek is on a few quid'. Perhaps he isn't.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 20 May 2015 12:33

Mourinho has a terrible record with young players, can't all be the parents fault.

it's a nice try at absolving himself of any blame though.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 20 May 2015 13:12

Zammo

Good piece. Funny cos as I was reading it I was thinking 'yeah, I bet Loftus-Cheek is on a few quid'. Perhaps he isn't.

I wouldn't bet on it. This was in the press a couple of years ago and was when his name first came to my attention.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/sam-wallace-ruben-loftuscheek--a-17m-contract-for-the-17yearold-chelsea-player-why-not-8547661.html

That's a cool £32k a week two years before he's got a sniff of the first team!

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 22 May 2015 13:03

JACK WILSHERE top of the list. In fact, the list is actually called 'The Jack Wilshere List'.

Additional LOL that Smalling and Jones (a) are regulars in a so-called top side and (b) are regulars for England :lol:

Brosef Stalin
Hob Nob Regular

by Brosef Stalin » 22 May 2015 14:32

Smalling is a beast of a defender. Passing needs a lot of work and he appears to be made out of glass

Phil Jones is great at one on one's but a bit of a liability in every other aspect (probably has the most shot's on De Gea's goal this season). Just a big strong lad that can run about a lot.

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MoorgateRoyal » 22 May 2015 16:02

Brosef Stalin Smalling is a beast of a defender. Passing needs a lot of work and he appears to be made out of glass

Phil Jones is great at one on one's but a bit of a liability in every other aspect (probably has the most shot's on De Gea's goal this season). Just a big strong lad that can run about a lot.

I've always thought Smalling had the potential to be pretty decent. Now is the time for him to step up and show that, or be anther one who doesn't move up a level.

Jones just has a frankly hilarious face:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=phil+ ... CAYQ_AUoAQ

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 22 May 2015 16:05

sandman Mourinho has a terrible record with young players, can't all be the parents fault.

Do you think that has something to do with him not sticking around a club for that long?

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 22 May 2015 16:31

No Fixed Abode
sandman Mourinho has a terrible record with young players, can't all be the parents fault.

Do you think that has something to do with him not sticking around a club for that long?

I don't think its the managers job to nurture young players (until they're ready for first team football). It should be the club as a whole that do it. Wenger is probably the exception to this though.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 30 Sep 2015 13:15

Winston Smith Josh McEachran.

Turns 23 during next season. Played the full 90 minutes a whopping 6 times for the mighty Vitesse Arnhem in the season just finished.

Use the search function to see Kes' views on this player from a few years back. Absolute LOLZ.

Anyway, my current tip for the top is

Aubery Boyce
Hob Nob Regular

by Aubery Boyce » 01 Oct 2015 12:29

stealthpapes
Winston Smith Josh McEachran.

Turns 23 during next season. Played the full 90 minutes a whopping 6 times for the mighty Vitesse Arnhem in the season just finished.

Use the search function to see Kes' views on this player from a few years back. Absolute LOLZ.

Anyway, my current tip for the top is

Very Nortei