FIFA

464 posts
Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

Re: FIFA

by Kitsondinho » 28 May 2015 14:18

Indeed, there are many examples of our rather patronising outlook towards the rest of world. In fact, I'm sure VM could find examples that I would readily agree with. However in this case, Blatter is just a massive corrupt tool....if he had been born in Surbiton, the above fact about him being a massive corrupt tool would not change.

PeterReadingborn59

by PeterReadingborn59 » 28 May 2015 14:21

Is football just another dictator lead organisation that the USA and Russia will now fight over?

It is probably why the FIFA President will remain in place and go to the football pitch in the sky before anything will stick to him.

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 28 May 2015 14:30

While not for one second disagreeing with the assertion that Blatter is a massively corrupt tool, the shambles of the decision to award the World Cup to Qatar can't be laid at his door; he was in favour of it going to USA and his rival in the presidential election (this and the last one) of course was strongly in favour of the Qatari bid. Platini voted for Qatar too.
The biggest cock up in the whole Qatari bid farce though was FIFA's own evaluation of the bid - ignoring its own rules about the number of cities, ignoring that 9 of the stadiums would be within 20 miles of each other and ignoring their human rights abuses and booze bans, never mind that the tournament would be unplayable in the summer.
Last edited by wingnut on 28 May 2015 14:31, edited 1 time in total.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 28 May 2015 14:30

Victor Meldrew
Royal Rother It's one of the most frustrating things on the periphery of my life that despite everyone on the planet except for Victor Meldrew knows that Blatter is a disgusting corrupt slime ball and he has been allowed to get away with it for decades.

I liken him to Lance Armstrong, Jimmy Savile etc. but his misdeeds are far more common knowledge and accepted without question than the others.

He'll die before he gets put away.

Cnut.

It was Zammo who asked the question about evidence against Blatter-if only you and others would read things properly rather than diving in with your size 12s you would realise that my input was to point out that in this country we have a habit of picking on foreign hate figures just because we don't get our own way (latterly our pathetic world cup bid where we sent the 3 stooges).
In my lifetime there was Charles de Galle followed by many French and German presidents and EU leaders seen as anti-English.
As a nation we seem to have lost the art of diplomacy whether that be the FA in terms of world football, the MCC in world cricket or currently our very own slimeball (to use RR's word relating to Blatter) Cameron in his pathetic attempts to change the terms of our EU membership.
We want to be part of everything but also want to tell the foreigners what to do, forgetting that this is 2015 and not 1815 when we were very busy telling the world what to do and using force (not diplomacy) to get our own way.

Back to Blatter and FIFA-it's surely a good thing that the Yanks are doing their best to expose corruption with the help of their own freeloader turned witness and the outcome might be that there is greater openness concerning world cup bids and who knows, if the FA manages to continue to supress details of fans' violence that still exist in this country and manages to convince FIFA that this is a safe country in which to hold a tournament, we might get the world cup again in 2066.

Hi Dave.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 28 May 2015 14:33

wingnut While not for one second disagreeing with the as sterile that a latter is a massively corrupt tool, the shambles of the decision to award the World Cup to Qatar can't be laid at his door; he was in favour of it going to USA and his rival in the presidential election (this and the last one) of course was strongly in favour of the Qatari bid. Platini voted for Qatar too.
The biggest cock up in the whole Qatari bid farce though was FIFA's own evaluation of the bid - ignoring its own rules about the number of cities, ignoring that 9 of the stadiums would be within 20 miles of each other and ignoring their human rights abuses and booze bans, never mind that the tournament would be unplayable in the summer.

I'm sure FIFA will get round the booze bans by explaining it's a requirement of hosting the tournament and nothing to do with the megawonga they'll get from whatever brewing company they'll have a partnership with of course.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict

by Kitsondinho » 28 May 2015 14:40

Sutekh
wingnut While not for one second disagreeing with the as sterile that a latter is a massively corrupt tool, the shambles of the decision to award the World Cup to Qatar can't be laid at his door; he was in favour of it going to USA and his rival in the presidential election (this and the last one) of course was strongly in favour of the Qatari bid. Platini voted for Qatar too.

I'm sure FIFA will get round the booze bans by explaining it's a requirement of hosting the tournament and nothing to do with the megawonga they'll get from whatever brewing company they'll have a partnership with of course.

They forced the Brazilian government to make an amendment to their no beer inside stadiums law last summer, so I'm sure they'll manage to twist the Qatari's arm.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 28 May 2015 15:06

Sutekh
Victor Meldrew
Royal Rother It's one of the most frustrating things on the periphery of my life that despite everyone on the planet except for Victor Meldrew knows that Blatter is a disgusting corrupt slime ball and he has been allowed to get away with it for decades.

I liken him to Lance Armstrong, Jimmy Savile etc. but his misdeeds are far more common knowledge and accepted without question than the others.

He'll die before he gets put away.

Cnut.

It was Zammo who asked the question about evidence against Blatter-if only you and others would read things properly rather than diving in with your size 12s you would realise that my input was to point out that in this country we have a habit of picking on foreign hate figures just because we don't get our own way (latterly our pathetic world cup bid where we sent the 3 stooges).
In my lifetime there was Charles de Galle followed by many French and German presidents and EU leaders seen as anti-English.
As a nation we seem to have lost the art of diplomacy whether that be the FA in terms of world football, the MCC in world cricket or currently our very own slimeball (to use RR's word relating to Blatter) Cameron in his pathetic attempts to change the terms of our EU membership.
We want to be part of everything but also want to tell the foreigners what to do, forgetting that this is 2015 and not 1815 when we were very busy telling the world what to do and using force (not diplomacy) to get our own way.

Back to Blatter and FIFA-it's surely a good thing that the Yanks are doing their best to expose corruption with the help of their own freeloader turned witness and the outcome might be that there is greater openness concerning world cup bids and who knows, if the FA manages to continue to supress details of fans' violence that still exist in this country and manages to convince FIFA that this is a safe country in which to hold a tournament, we might get the world cup again in 2066.

Hi Dave.

Reveal yourself.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 May 2015 15:28

Kitsondinho If (when) Blatter wins tomorrow, David Gill will not take his seat as UEFA Ex-co member. A good move from the various GB FAs. Sadly I'm sure we will be the only ones to take this action and it will only be symbolic as UEFA are already back tracking on their threat to boycott the vote/ future meetings.

Most of UEFA is supporting Ali in the vote (about 46 countries). Ali has advised UEFA today that he believes that he has around 60 votes from other non European nations. If so, if UEFA didn't turn up it would hand Blatter the presidency again.

As is, he is still likely to win but if Ali gets 100+ votes, he will at least take it to a second vote and if he gets 106 in that then he will win. Blatter winning is based on Asia & Africa voting en bloc for him, with the events of the past few days it wouldn't surprise me if a handful jump ship and that may well be enough.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 28 May 2015 17:53

Sutekh BBC advising FIFA's sponsors are also voicing concerns...

Was that a real headline? If so it makes my eyes bleed.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict

by Kitsondinho » 28 May 2015 18:11

Stranded
Kitsondinho If (when) Blatter wins tomorrow, David Gill will not take his seat as UEFA Ex-co member. A good move from the various GB FAs. Sadly I'm sure we will be the only ones to take this action and it will only be symbolic as UEFA are already back tracking on their threat to boycott the vote/ future meetings.

Most of UEFA is supporting Ali in the vote (about 46 countries). Ali has advised UEFA today that he believes that he has around 60 votes from other non European nations. If so, if UEFA didn't turn up it would hand Blatter the presidency again.

As is, he is still likely to win but if Ali gets 100+ votes, he will at least take it to a second vote and if he gets 106 in that then he will win. Blatter winning is based on Asia & Africa voting en bloc for him, with the events of the past few days it wouldn't surprise me if a handful jump ship and that may well be enough.

Blatter is going to win. UEFA know that, Platini said as much himself earlier. The only way to oust him is putting enough pressure on him to force him out. Platini's comments about what will happen after Blatter wins tomorrow were very interesting, I really think the end is almost here for our beloved Sepp. Too many things are starting to come together and that speech he gave, he looked old, tired and really rattled. That was not the confident, defiant Blatter normally seen. He knows that he is one interview away from being caught.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 28 May 2015 21:04

Victor Meldrew ....who knows, if the FA manages to continue to supress details of fans' violence that still exist in this country and manages to convince FIFA that this is a safe country in which to hold a tournament, we might get the world cup again in 2066.

Suppression of human rights violations and rampant racism wasn't necessary for Qatar and Russia to have successful bids.

I wonder why that might have been.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 28 May 2015 22:20

Platini today - for the first time - hinted at a possible UEFA boycott of (probably) 2022.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict

by Kitsondinho » 28 May 2015 23:24

2018 seems to be the one they are threatening to boycott. Platini seems fairly keen on driving something through.....but will he get the support for all of UEFA? I'm not so sure.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 29 May 2015 08:30

It had passed me by, but I'm only just realising that under the one country-one vote system at FIFA, the CONMEBOL federation (South America), including Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay etc, gets fewer votes than Oceania. Brilliant.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 29 May 2015 08:47

Yeah, it's clearly a system ripe for manipulation when minor FAs around the world have the same voting rights as major nations.

Rather disappointing that Spain will apparently be voting for Blatter.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 29 May 2015 09:33

Who are our main allies, 'part from 'merica and 'stralia?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 May 2015 10:05

Platini seems to be all bluster and talk and no action though.

Personally I think UEFA should boycott the vote today and then sever all links with FIFA until Blatter goes and a new organisation take over the reins.

FIFA without UEFA isn't a going concern. Anything FIFA then organise would be seriously undervalued, worthless to sponsors and of little interest outside of those nations left.

PeterReadingborn59

by PeterReadingborn59 » 29 May 2015 10:20

FIFA and the EU seem so similar, smaller nations who are net beneficiaries have the same vote power as those nations who generate the wealth and sponsorship interest. I hear a Middle East peace envoy is free, he'd understand the FIFA President well, so may be he could paper over the issues and leave FIFA with no monies just as he did for the UK.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict

by Kitsondinho » 29 May 2015 10:37

So Blatter is now saying all of football must take responsibilty (including him) for the changes that need to be made. Yesterday, he was explaining it wasn't his fault and therefore it wasn't his responsibility. Gotta love Sepp logic. As for UEFA, why the delegates who aren't gonna vote for him later didn't walk out on him this morning, I don't know. Yes the same would happen to Prince Ali bin Al-Hussein later on....but Blatter is going to win anyway! UEFA, Australia, US, Canada and NZ need to work together on this to oust him. Don't vote, boycott FIFA until he goes. If he doesn't, don't allow European based players to travel to W/Cup qualifiers etc....The CL clubs would LOVE that!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 May 2015 10:41

Kitsondinho So Blatter is now saying all of football must take responsibilty (including him) for the changes that need to be made. Yesterday, he was explaining it wasn't his fault and therefore it wasn't his responsibility. Gotta love Sepp logic. As for UEFA, why the delegates who aren't gonna vote for him later didn't walk out on him this morning, I don't know. Yes the same would happen to Prince Ali bin Al-Hussein later on....but Blatter is going to win anyway! UEFA, Australia, US, Canada and NZ need to work together on this to oust him. Don't vote, boycott FIFA until he goes. If he doesn't, don't allow European based players to travel to W/Cup qualifiers etc....The CL clubs would LOVE that!

Spot on. Then let's see where all those nations that support Blatter go when they realise that without involvement from those parties their football revenue will more or less dry up.

464 posts