Heysel 30th anniversary.

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
No Fixed Abode

Heysel 30th anniversary.

by No Fixed Abode » 29 May 2015 11:40

Today marks the 30th anniversary of the Heysel Stadium disaster.

RIP the 39.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

Re: Heysel 30th anniversary.

by Kitsondinho » 29 May 2015 11:58

Be interesting to see how UEFA mark this in a weeks time. With Juve in the CL final 30 years on, I assume they will have something planned.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 29 May 2015 12:18

I know that this incident and the Bradford fire have played a big part in NFA's life (he has posted about it enough even though he was in nappies (and still may be for all I know) at the time.
Presumably he will take time out not just to post on here but also make the trip over there to show how English fans are united in abhorring crowd violence .
A very sad day in the history of sport and deserving of being brought to our attention again as a reminder of what can happen when people are intent on causing harm at football matches or indeed anywhere.

BTW Kes on the question of behaviour and anniversaries is there any planned celebration at the Bridge to recognise the day that Paul Canoville made his debut for Chelsea and was racially abused by his own fans?
Last edited by Victor Meldrew on 29 May 2015 12:21, edited 1 time in total.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 29 May 2015 12:19

It's a shame you've used this thread to have a personal dig at someone.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 29 May 2015 12:23

No Fixed Abode It's a shame you've used this thread to have a personal dig at someone.

That sort of thing should never happen on Hob-Nob (says Kes piously) but it does and I am far from being alone.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 May 2015 12:39

Lengthy feature in the Liverpool Echo today.

Good thread NFA, sadly another one of those "watching it unfold" and " remembering where I was" moments, I assume that you have started the same respectful thread on your Chelsea forum site.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 29 May 2015 21:10

I was in student accommodation and Just before live coverage of the game started, "Wogan" was on. They had a pile of beer cans and Terry Wogan had a jokey chat with Jimmy Hill, who didn't say a thing about the disaster that had already begun.

So when one of the guys came into the lounge where we were sat watching the telly, saying that there had been a riot and people had died, no-one believed him; then the game coverage started and Jimmy Hill, who 5 minutes earlier had been joshing about with Wogan, was suddenly all serious and solemn.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 May 2015 21:22

I was sat in my "war zone bunker*" watching it unfold.

Vivid memories of Phil Neal sat inside some sort of control room looking out, waiting....obviously not seemingly wanting to play, whilst the cameras switched from the devastation of the dead and dying getting dragged from the melee, to scenes of fans (mainly wearing b&w stripes iirc) goading and throwing missiles at the police.
The game finally going ahead, but nobody really bothered with its result.

*in reality, a rather nice on-suite room

Bowman's Quiver

by Bowman's Quiver » 30 May 2015 21:15

I remember Bobby Charlton who was co-commentating on the game close to tears as the scenes unfolded.

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1