Next England Manager

248 posts
genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Next England Manager

by genome » 11 Oct 2016 21:59

Hart was outstanding. Dier had a shocker. Sturridge is selfish. Next...

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 12 Oct 2016 09:08

Henderson had a shocker as England captain.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 12 Oct 2016 10:26

Apart from Hart and the two fullbacks I think they all had shockers to be fair. Stones and Alli were maybe just below average.

It really was a shocking performance and I can't remember a game where we looked so sloppy on the ball and if these two games are anything to go by then Southgate won't be getting the job.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 12 Oct 2016 10:38

Hoop Blah Apart from Hart and the two fullbacks I think they all had shockers to be fair. Stones and Alli were maybe just below average.

It really was a shocking performance and I can't remember a game where we looked so sloppy on the ball and if these two games are anything to go by then Southgate won't be getting the job.

I couldn't believe how many calamitous errors we made in defence - I think Henderson, Stones and Dier each separately put a Slovenia player through on goal.

Agree re Southgate so far - which is a shame in a way, because I like the cut of his jib; ironically he is more an FA man than anyone, yet he's been strong enough to state that things were a mess when he took control, and to drop Rooney on the basis of form. I think he'll make good decisions as an England boss, but he needs a big performance against Scotland.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Oct 2016 11:21

Sanguine
Hoop Blah Apart from Hart and the two fullbacks I think they all had shockers to be fair. Stones and Alli were maybe just below average.

I couldn't believe how many calamitous errors we made in defence - I think Henderson, Stones and Dier each separately put a Slovenia player through on goal.

Agree re Southgate so far - which is a shame in a way, because I like the cut of his jib; ironically he is more an FA man than anyone, yet he's been strong enough to state that things were a mess when he took control, and to drop Rooney on the basis of form. I think he'll make good decisions as an England boss, but he needs a big performance against Scotland.

Pure and simple, if we don't play well AND beat Scotland he won't get the job.

Trouble is the Scots players will be really up for it and the English players not really quite so much.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 12 Oct 2016 11:36

We really shouldn't be appointing a manager on the strength of a performance against Scotland, good or bad, but if we play well against Spain and beat Scotland without too many issues then I think he might get the job by default.

I can't imagine our players not being up for the game against the Jocks though, I think they'll relish the opportunity to play against them.

Who else if not Southgate? I still think that Wenger might be the right way to go, even though I tend to think it should be an Englishman.

Brosef Stalin
Hob Nob Regular

by Brosef Stalin » 12 Oct 2016 13:56

Sutekh
Sanguine

Trouble is the Scots players will be really up for it and the English players not really quite so much.

Hi Alan Shearer!

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 12 Oct 2016 14:29

Slovenia clocked how to get under England's skin without that nonsensical 'get into them oxf*rd em up' crap. They pressed high and had outlets to break at all times. Really well set up and executed their game plan well.

England? Game plan?

rofl.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 12 Oct 2016 15:32

stealthpapes Slovenia clocked how to get under England's skin without that nonsensical 'get into them oxf*rd em up' crap. They pressed high and had outlets to break at all times. Really well set up and executed their game plan well.

England? Game plan?

rofl.

Agreed, and perhaps Slovenia haven't received enough credit for doing that. On the other hand, it was sloppiness from England under little pressure and with open options that caused most of the problems for us, but arguably that was just down to the amount of pressure the Slovenians were applying.

Sturridge again showed just why I (and many others I assume) don't like him. At a time when we needed our centre forward to lead the line and keep the ball he was doing his best to play for himself and do very little to be the focal point of our attack. He is such a gifted player that it makes him so frustrating to watch when he's in that mood (ie most of the time!) and he's lack of playing for the team, and having a proper position as a result, will cost him his place for England and most probably Liverpool too.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 12 Oct 2016 23:57

Sanguine

He didn't quite have the courage of his convictions though and brought Rooney on. Shame
Rashford for Sturridge might have been more effective.
In fact anyone for Sturridge was worth a try

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 13 Oct 2016 00:06

stealthpapes

Slovenia clocked how to get under England's skin without that nonsensical 'get into them oxf*rd em up' crap. They pressed high and had outlets to break at all times. Really well set up and executed their game plan well.

England? Game plan?

rofl.

Yes except I thought they did "get into' us.
Good closing down made England look very uncomfortable in possession but in doing this I thought they were a pretty physical team and left a fair few legs in. Cynical too and the ref helped them out. Not saying it made a difference but in another game I expect we would see more free kicks to England.

Having said that if you keep presenting gilt edged chances to the opposition you aren't going to win anything.
How we escaped with a draw is a mystery

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 13 Oct 2016 07:23

A Kane / Rashford partnership would be best for England.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 13 Oct 2016 11:36

Top Flight A Kane / Rashford partnership would be best for England.

Kane has been truly shocking for England of late though. His performance against Iceland was an embarrassment.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 13 Oct 2016 12:36

No Fixed Abode
Top Flight A Kane / Rashford partnership would be best for England.

Kane has been truly shocking for England of late though. His performance against Iceland was an embarrassment.

True! He didn't have a good Euros. But then, who did?

I think I'm getting fed up now with all this playing out from the back. It is boring, it's horrible to watch, it's ineffective most of the time. Only Barcelona play the system in a beautiful way that is enjoyable to watch and that is only when Messi and Iniesta are on the pitch. Otherwise Barcelona, like everybody else are a complete shambles at the system. Unless you have Messi, I think the system is garbage.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 13 Oct 2016 12:57

Kane and Rashford have the potential to be devastating. Like an England strike partnership of old.

If they can develop a partnership and learn to play together then they would offer aerial threat, lightning runs in behind, great movement, hold up play, inter passing, and a heck of a goal threat. Any space either gets in the box or outside the box in Kane's case to shoot and the results will be goals for England.

We got to get back to playing 2 men up front and build a team around that striker combination. Lingard was a good shout from Southgate to play on the left side, Walcott or Townsend could be the answer on the right. Two good Centre Mids in Dier and Henderson would be sufficient in the middle. They are not outstanding but they can be solid and the back five behind them would be alright. That kind of side would do well for England and then just stick with them. We could even go 3-5-2 like the Welsh as we have good wing backs in Walker and Rose that we could play without Lingard and Walcott/Townsend. That would make us more solid and allow us to play two outstanding strikers up top.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 13 Oct 2016 13:04

England in a 3-5-2 I think is the answer.

-----------------------------------Hart----------------------------------

----------Smalling-----------Stones-------------Cahill-----------

Walker-----------------------------------------------------------Rose

--------------------Henderson-----------Dier-----------------------

---------------------------------Dele Alli--------------------------------

------------------Kane------------------Rashford--------------------

This is the best way to accommodate two up front. The Welsh with less talent at their disposal got to the Semi-finals in this system.

I think we could thrive like this. Walker and Rose are far more talented than Gunter and Taylor. This sort of line up could work wonders for England. With Kane and Rashford up front together we would carry far more of a threat than what we showed against Slovenia the other night.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Oct 2016 13:16

Top Flight England in a 3-5-2 I think is the answer.

This is the best way to accommodate two up front. The Welsh with less talent at their disposal got to the Semi-finals in this system.

I think we could thrive like this. Walker and Rose are far more talented than Gunter and Taylor. This sort of line up could work wonders for England. With Kane and Rashford up front together we would carry far more of a threat than what we showed against Slovenia the other night.

It's certainly an obvious plan which is more than Hodgson seemed to have after 2 years.

Top Flight for the England job then. 8)

Brosef Stalin
Hob Nob Regular

by Brosef Stalin » 13 Oct 2016 13:31

My radical new system relies heavily on width. Concede the middle ground
invite them into the centre, then surround and crush them

--Walker-------------------------------------------------------Rose--

Henderson-------------------------------------------------------Dier

-------------Kane-----------------------------------Rashford--------

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 13 Oct 2016 14:20

Sutekh
Top Flight England in a 3-5-2 I think is the answer.

It's certainly an obvious plan which is more than Hodgson seemed to have after 2 years.

Top Flight for the England job then. 8)

I don't think I should be the England manager. If I was actually the England manager I would cave in to media pressure and end up picking

--------------------------------Hart-----------------------------------

Walker---------Cahill-----------------Stones--------------Rose

---------------------------Rooney-------------------------------------

--------------Lampard---------------------Gerrard----------------

------------Beckham-------------------Walcott--------------------

-----------------------------Sturridge----------------------------------

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 13 Oct 2016 14:30

ITV won't let you pick Beckham. Who would they pan the cameras to each time a Man United player does something?

248 posts