FA Cup 16/17

197 posts
bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

Re: FA Cup 16/17

by bobby1413 » 21 Feb 2017 17:05

Can anyone help me out with this. What's the right reaction?

Should I be:

flabbergasted and disappointed that a non league player has been unfairly fingered out. Leave the guy alone, It's all a bit of fun and people like Barton get away with horrific behaviour all the time.

Or

Fair really. He is linked to a betting offence and he's done wrong. What did he expect?

Twitter seems about 80%/20% in these two thoughts

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 21 Feb 2017 17:33

It's a pie (or pasty). It was funny. No-one got hurt. No-one is out of pocket.

Reaction from all parties utterly ridiculous.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 21 Feb 2017 17:39

bobby1413 wrote:
Can anyone help me out with this. What's the right reaction?

Should I be:

flabbergasted and disappointed that a non league player has been unfairly fingered out. Leave the guy alone, It's all a bit of fun and people like Barton get away with horrific behaviour all the time.

Or

Fair really. He is linked to a betting offence and he's done wrong. What did he expect?

Twitter seems about 80%/20% in these two thoughts

Put my thoughts on the non-league thread, bob. Admittedly a bit of fun. Stitched himself up a treat though, regardless of whether we're talking 'kate and sidney' pies or whatever.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 21 Feb 2017 18:29

Ah yea, just read your post Cap.

I'm really confused though. Initially I heard this and thought that he saw the odds and then placed a bet. He then ate the pie and won money. That's bad.

However, on the news I've just heard "2000 people won money after he ate the pie" and it was quite clear he hadn't (accept that for now) placed any bets.

But ...

He saw the odds and bet - that was all public. So if he was then to NOT eat the pie isn't that just as awkward and bad as he's interfering as he's seen the bet. It's basically unavoidable not to influence the outcome.

I kind of like the way he's said it's just a laugh, a bit of a joke with the fans.

The official statement has annoyed me - "integrity in football is not a joke" . How bloody rich?

Sam Allardyce caught In a scandal after 60 days in charge of England. Months later he's managing a premier league team.

Andre Gray from Burnley tweeting (before he was well known) that gay people were vile disgusting fagg0ts and to burn them.

Barton being involved in over 2000 bets and is being investigated.

There's hundreds more examples and thats before we even address the disgusting unsportsmanlike behaviour of some of the "big stars" of football and FIFA itself.

It just seems like they're picking on an easy quick target where any outcome is acceptable as he's not a pro, he's not a young star, he's not in a big club, he is an old geezer who essentially is just a random member of the public who has had 15 minutes of fame.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Feb 2017 18:33

I guess it depends if there's anything irregular in the bets and whether he was working with people who placed them to earn money.

It's a oxf*rd stupid thing to offer odds on and the betting company ought to be in trouble for that IMO

If he didn't know anyone placing a bet, I don't see what the big deal is (other than his obvious unprofessionalism in a. being such a lard arse and b. eating a pie on camera during a match for a laugh). If he did know people placing the bet, or had in some way been influenced financially, that's an issue.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 21 Feb 2017 18:47

What about that non league player who scored and then drank from a pint of beer as a celebration.

I think you're right, betting company should swallow this up and just stop offering stupid bets if they don't want to risk this again.

In reality what happened was:

- Oi fatty - you seen this bet?
- haha that's amazing, they must know how much I love a pie

- you should eat one. It would be so funny
- yea alright, that would be hilarious

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 22 Feb 2017 02:14

I'm against him just because of the way he ate the pie, it looked so disgusting, keep your mouth closed.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 22 Feb 2017 02:39

Shameful and irresponisble from Sun Bets and Wayne Shaw. As someone who works in the industry, there is enough shit going on (FOBT's, media rights, problem gambling, betting adverts etc) without an irresponsible operator who from memory were only granted a license last year offering such a stupid PR stunt market with Shaw cashing in on it which was clearly open to abuse.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Feb 2017 09:01

This really is a case of pot kettle black as has been alluded to above.

Yet again the FA come down on the little people in the game having what amounts to a bit of fun in the grand scheme of things. Yet, as has been stated above, the game itself is regularly brought into disrepute by players like Barton and the goings on with Allardyce, not to mention the utter farce that masquerades as the governing body of the game.

This was not match fixing, this was not gamesmanship, it was merely a laugh. I'd agree the betting operator was out of order and doesn't help that industry either with these silly open bets but at the end of the day to waste time, money and effort on this is just plainly ridiculous.

Had it been left alone people would have just had a laugh and forgotten about it, so in my opinion it's the FA showing the game up.

By the way, Ady was saying on BBC Berks last night, that Mr Shaw was a junior at Reading with him. Apparently he was a striker then but fell back to goalkeeper one day and showed more talent there so took up that position.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 22 Feb 2017 09:09

Anyone who bets with SunBets is a fcuking moron anyway.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict

by LWJ » 22 Feb 2017 09:09

Sutekh
By the way, Ady was saying on BBC Berks last night, that Mr Shaw was a junior at Reading with him. Apparently he was a striker then but fell back to goalkeeper one day and showed more talent there so took up that position.

Wasn't Shearer saying that he played with him in a youth team somewhere?

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 22 Feb 2017 10:03

LWJ Anyone who bets with SunBets is a fcuking moron anyway.

I don't really gamble but why's that?

double d

by double d » 22 Feb 2017 10:10

No Fixed Abode

They wanted me to send my passport to them as proof I am who I am. oxf*rd mugs. Betfair is the best site.

Of course you don't bet Kes :lol:

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 22 Feb 2017 10:26

So everything was fine when the betting company set odd for essentially "ha ha, look at fatty on the bench, he prolly eats pies during matches" but as soon as he owns it he gets in trouble? I can't imagine the lack of censure for Sunbets is in any way linked to the fact that it seems like the majority of sponsorship in football comes from betting companies

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 22 Feb 2017 10:31

I wonder if he appeals, it will be accepted by virtue of it being a pasty and not a pie.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 22 Feb 2017 10:47

Obvs didn't know about the bet beforehand, but when the camera shot to him eating in the dug out my first thought was "you absolute tool". Fat fcuker thought he could have 15 minutes of fame and it backfired. Tough sh!t.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict

by LWJ » 22 Feb 2017 11:13

No Fixed Abode

Hundreds of bookies out there, so why pick a newly formed subsidiary of the Sun newspaper. A number of complaints on twitter surrounding no ID needed to deposit/place bets/lose bets but as soon as you win a reasonable amount they require massive verification with lots of huddles. Designed to make you ask for your deposit back and not take the money off them.

No problem with ID verification, should be on registration though not after they've allowed you to bet and lose.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 22 Feb 2017 11:27

LWJ
No Fixed Abode

Hundreds of bookies out there, so why pick a newly formed subsidiary of the Sun newspaper. A number of complaints on twitter surrounding no ID needed to deposit/place bets/lose bets but as soon as you win a reasonable amount they require massive verification with lots of huddles. Designed to make you ask for your deposit back and not take the money off them.

No problem with ID verification, should be on registration though not after they've allowed you to bet and lose.

I wouldn't take a £50 free bet off them.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 22 Feb 2017 15:15

I would be very surprised if the keeper hasn't been approached by the bookie beforehand and its a total set up.

The correct odds for this should have been nearer 1000/1 as I doubt there's been a single precedent. I would imagine the bookies calculated the £10,000 hit, (they probably limited it) to be cheaper than buying the equivalent exposure through advertising.

I can't see the point in the FA pursuing him as it has no outcome on the result but it's a pretty tawdry business which pretty much sums up this moribund and, sadly, pointless competition which now has about as much romance as quickie in a pub toilet

exileinleeds
Hob Nob Addict

by exileinleeds » 22 Feb 2017 21:26

RG30 Shameful and irresponisble from Sun Bets and Wayne Shaw. As someone who works in the industry, there is enough shit going on (FOBT's, media rights, problem gambling, betting adverts etc) without an irresponsible operator who from memory were only granted a license last year offering such a stupid PR stunt market with Shaw cashing in on it which was clearly open to abuse.

Yeah, but....all this publicity- how much would you pay for this level of exposure?

Is it worse than Paddy Power offering odds on Oscar Pistorious being found not guilty of murdering his girlfriend? And thinking about that- does anyone know how those who took that bet were affected by the subsequent guilty virdict?
Sun Bets apparently, (from reading further down this page before responding to RG30), as in Rupert Murdoch....different to Sky bet, obviously....couldn't possibly have Murdoch manipulating sporting fixtures....

197 posts