VAR

1731 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: VAR

by URZZZZ » 01 Nov 2020 23:15

Sanguine Ooh, a maths question. I like.

There's two things going on with penalties. First, that more are being awarded. Second, that the continual 'refinement' of rules around the penalty kick are making them near impossible to keep out.

So first, number of penalties, 30 so far this season in roughly six rounds of games, which is one every two games.
Broadly there have been on average 90 penalties per season for the last few years, which is less than one every four games.

On success from the spot, 26 of those 30 penalties have been scored, a rate of 87%. Scoring rates in the previous five seasons - 78%, 82%, 70%, 76%, 81%, 76%. 2017-18 a bit of an outlier, so let's say an average success rate of 79%.

So at this stage of the season, after six rounds, you'd expect 14 penalties to have been awarded, and 11 of them scored. So VAR and the rules have 'added' 15 successful penalties.

On to goals. Worth a note that after the international break, goals have settled down with 44 in the 18 games since, more in line with the longer-term average. But that aside, last six seasons in the PL - 2.82 per game, 2.68, 2.80, 2.70, 2.56, 2.76. Average of 2.72 per game. This season, 192 goals in 56 games played so far, 3.43 goals per game.

So against the long-term average, we have seen 40 goals more so far this season than we would have expected, of which 15 may be considered the impact of VAR/rules changes on penalties.

To add to your stats, four games today, four penalties awarded
Think there were 1/2 given on Saturday’s fixtures

Also surprised they didn’t disallow Brighton’s goal tonight, seemed a foul to me

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 02 Nov 2020 08:54

Question for all on the Salah penalty - was this a foul? Salah was kicked, yes. So technically a foul. But it is never awarded (in my view not even on VAR) if Salah doesn't go down. And there was nothing about the foul that caused him to tumble to the ground.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Nov 2020 08:56

Sanguine Question for all on the Salah penalty - was this a foul? Salah was kicked, yes. So technically a foul. But it is never awarded (in my view not even on VAR) if Salah doesn't go down. And there was nothing about the foul that caused him to tumble to the ground.

If they were awarded (as they should always be) when players stayed on their feet then players wouldn't fall over. it has just been the way of it in football for many years now and it shouldn't be. It encourages play acting.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 02 Nov 2020 08:58

Old Man Andrews
Sanguine Question for all on the Salah penalty - was this a foul? Salah was kicked, yes. So technically a foul. But it is never awarded (in my view not even on VAR) if Salah doesn't go down. And there was nothing about the foul that caused him to tumble to the ground.

If they were awarded (as they should always be) when players stayed on their feet then players wouldn't fall over. it has just been the way of it in football for many years now and it shouldn't be. It encourages play acting.

Yep, completely agree. Just seems to me though that any physical contact at all can now be deemed a foul.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Nov 2020 09:05

Sanguine
Old Man Andrews

Yep, completely agree. Just seems to me though that any physical contact at all can now be deemed a foul.

Think it should all be about the intent, should a genuine attempt to play the ball result in a slight touch on the attacker then no that should be left alone. Similar to F1 in a way when there are collisions. There are unavoidable ones and avoidable ones, racing incidents. Firmly believe there are "football incidents" too, things that could be deemed foul play but actually is just a part of the game. The current handball rule being an example of that. We are punishing players for not being able to move their hands out of the way of a ball moving 50mph from 3 yards away, to me thats just wrong. There has to be intent to stop that ball with your hand or for the player to have the time move his hand away from the ball.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 03 Nov 2020 01:21

One thing I’ve noticed since the introduction of VAR is that referees are a lot more reluctant to issue yellow cards for what they perceive to be “dives”

Not sure if anyone was watching Leeds tonight but Ayling clearly threw himself to the floor in the second half, the referee saw it, but didn’t brandish a card

I presume yellow cards can’t be overturned (or given) by VAR and that’s why refs don’t do it, in case they’re wrong, but not sure that sits too well with me

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 03 Nov 2020 09:32

URZZZZ One thing I’ve noticed since the introduction of VAR is that referees are a lot more reluctant to issue yellow cards for what they perceive to be “dives”

Not sure if anyone was watching Leeds tonight but Ayling clearly threw himself to the floor in the second half, the referee saw it, but didn’t brandish a card

I presume yellow cards can’t be overturned (or given) by VAR and that’s why refs don’t do it, in case they’re wrong, but not sure that sits too well with me

It's encouraging the return of the dive

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Nov 2020 13:08

URZZZZ One thing I’ve noticed since the introduction of VAR is that referees are a lot more reluctant to issue yellow cards for what they perceive to be “dives”

Before VAR though yellow cards couldn’t be overturned and refs would still get pilloried from the many media outlets if they were perceived wrong on a dive - so what exactly is the difference with the presence of VAR?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 03 Nov 2020 13:31

Sutekh

Before VAR though yellow cards couldn’t be overturned and refs would still get pilloried from the many media outlets if they were perceived wrong on a dive - so what exactly is the difference with the presence of VAR?

I guess because you can verify the refs decision straight away with VAR?

Not sure to be honest, I think refs should be able to overturn yellow cards regardless

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 07 Nov 2020 15:40

Wow wow wow wow VAR can oxf*rd off already.

How the oxf*rd is this offside?! This is a oxf*rd disgraceful decision as he isn't even allowed to score with his arm! I hope the VAR person gets sacked.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Nov 2020 15:43

Simmops Wow wow wow wow VAR can oxf*rd off already.

How the oxf*rd is this offside?! This is a oxf*rd disgraceful decision as he isn't even allowed to score with his arm! I hope the VAR person gets sacked.

Just going to post the same thing. Utterly ludicrous and really it’s about time this technology was dumped once and for all.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 07 Nov 2020 17:53

Sutekh
Simmops Wow wow wow wow VAR can oxf*rd off already.

Just going to post the same thing. Utterly ludicrous and really it’s about time this technology was dumped once and for all.

Guess we've found some more Leeds fans :roll:

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 07 Nov 2020 18:59

F11ck Leeds

But, that wasn’t offside

VAR has hardly enhanced the game

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Nov 2020 19:39

It's not offside, but I for one am happy to see Leeds being oxf*rd over.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 07 Nov 2020 21:06

Anybody happy to see that not given isn't a football fan. Disgraceful.

What message does it send to kids? You can't point where you want the ball?

Joke

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 07 Nov 2020 21:33

have the FA marked what part of the body you can score with?

Was this part closer to the goal than two defenders?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 07 Nov 2020 21:33

Agree dd

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Nov 2020 00:18

Simmops Anybody happy to see that not given isn't a football fan. Disgraceful.

Joke

Didn't your mum ever tell you pointing is rude?

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 08 Nov 2020 06:21

BR0B0T have the FA marked what part of the body you can score with?

Was this part closer to the goal than two defenders?

Yes, you cannot score with any part of your arm therefore it is impossible for him to be offside

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 08 Nov 2020 06:22

Snowflake Royal
Simmops Anybody happy to see that not given isn't a football fan. Disgraceful.

Joke

Didn't your mum ever tell you pointing is rude?

If you knew how to play football you would know that pointing is a big part of it.

Hth.

1731 posts