VAR

1731 posts
Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

Re: VAR

by Sanguine » 10 Nov 2020 08:56

Snowflake Royal
Sanguine Well that's unlikely to be a representation of when the ball is kicked, anyway. But it's a case in point, attacker is going for the header, defender has chosen to slide the tackle the grass. I don't think the attacker should be penalised for leaning towards the goal if his feet started in line with his defender.

Doesn't solve the basic problem. Which is lines being drawn on the pitch by a computer to show people offside by a fraction of a mm.

It's the same issue whether it's the tip or heel of a boot or a lock of hair, knee, armpit or bit of upper arm.

I don't see that bit as an issue. Before - assistants look along the line and determine whether a player is offside or not. Now - VAR officials look at a line on a screen and use it to determine whether a player is offside or not. Either way it is to an extent a subjective call - with VAR, they have more information, subjectivity is to a lesser extent.

I don't really have a problem with offside, which is ultimately either true or false being determined 'by mm' using the best available view - my issue is with players being given offside because they are leaning more than their opponent, or pointing where they want the ball. That is ridiculous.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Nov 2020 09:23

Sanguine
Snowflake Royal
Sanguine Well that's unlikely to be a representation of when the ball is kicked, anyway. But it's a case in point, attacker is going for the header, defender has chosen to slide the tackle the grass. I don't think the attacker should be penalised for leaning towards the goal if his feet started in line with his defender.

Doesn't solve the basic problem. Which is lines being drawn on the pitch by a computer to show people offside by a fraction of a mm.

It's the same issue whether it's the tip or heel of a boot or a lock of hair, knee, armpit or bit of upper arm.

I don't see that bit as an issue. Before - assistants look along the line and determine whether a player is offside or not. Now - VAR officials look at a line on a screen and use it to determine whether a player is offside or not. Either way it is to an extent a subjective call - with VAR, they have more information, subjectivity is to a lesser extent.

I don't really have a problem with offside, which is ultimately either true or false being determined 'by mm' using the best available view - my issue is with players being given offside because they are leaning more than their opponent, or pointing where they want the ball. That is ridiculous.

But it is offside by the rules and linesman would always have given it for leaning in the past.

So rather than fixing the issue of using the tech to a precision it isn't capable of and taking away the benefit of the doubt to the attacker element that has existed for ages, you're completely changing the law.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 10 Nov 2020 09:25

Well yes, I mean that's pretty evident from my original post on this where I said I wanted the offside law changed.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 10 Nov 2020 10:03

From Despair To Where? Instead of feet, how about hips or torso?

And FFS, introduce a "Referee's call". If its not obvious after 20 seconds with a freeze frame then its within the realms of human error. If its not obvious, its not wrong. If cricket can make a decision in a minute with a no ball camera, snickometer, hot spot, ball tracker and cameras tracking the flight of the ball, why the fcuk can't football with just a side on freeze frame?

Cos the wickets\crease are always in the same fixed position which means the camera angles are also fixed so its easier to get a quicker decision. Agree with having a time limit and some kind of Refs call.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 10 Nov 2020 10:18

I assumed it was because the FA weren't in charge of it.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 21 Nov 2020 16:58

Oh good ... yet another VAR issue. :roll:

Jinx

by Jinx » 21 Nov 2020 18:21

The trouble is, they are still guessing. It was not definite that the ball hit Jesus's arm and even if it did, was it the bit that Bamford had ruled offside? It's supposed to be clear and obvious errors, not ooh that might have hit his arm. Total bullshit - just scrap it

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 21 Nov 2020 22:52

VAR worked perfectly tonight! 8)

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 24 Nov 2020 13:42

Jinx The trouble is, they are still guessing. It was not definite that the ball hit Jesus's arm and even if it did, was it the bit that Bamford had ruled offside? It's supposed to be clear and obvious errors, not ooh that might have hit his arm. Total bullshit - just scrap it

Of all the handball decisions this season, that looked like one of the simpler ones, imho.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 01 Dec 2020 08:46

If anything sums up the mess that is VAR, it is the technology being used to disallow a Watkins goal correctly for offside, but the technology not being used to award a foul against the defender who was pulling him back and actually caused his body to move into an offside position.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 01 Dec 2020 09:32

VAR is still f*cking sh*t and ruining football

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 01 Dec 2020 10:43

I think it would help if you could hear what the officials were saying to each other

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 01 Dec 2020 12:14

BR0B0T I think it would help if you could hear what the officials were saying to each other

But then we would know they're making it up

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Dec 2020 16:25

Whilst it’s undeniably frustrating for Villa, I do find them calling it “embarrassing” quite ironic

Have they forgotten the reason they stayed up in the league was because of technology?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 01 Dec 2020 16:38

URZZZZ Whilst it’s undeniably frustrating for Villa, I do find them calling it “embarrassing” quite ironic

Have they forgotten the reason they stayed up in the league was because of failed technology?

As opposed to failed humans

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 Dec 2020 13:41

Poll results amongst supporters on whether VAR has improved football here. Majority think it’s made the game worse.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55160134

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Dec 2020 01:05

Sutekh Poll results amongst supporters on whether VAR has improved football here. Majority think it’s made the game worse.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55160134

If only they’d listened to DD’s presentation

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 05 Dec 2020 22:41

United's equaliser looked way out. First time I've seen VAR for a "possible out of play" is that normal? Bit odd they didn't show any close up, hawk eye type views, which I assume means they didn't have a oxf*rd clue?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 05 Dec 2020 22:59

Lol, was about 20 yards over the lines.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 06 Dec 2020 07:38

Pepe the Horseman Lol, was about 20 yards over the lines.

Clearly moved quite a distance right to left (nice draw on that drive) and the ball lands only two or three yards into the playing area.

However, unless there’s a camera looking down the line there’s little chance of being sure.

Funny really, because normally a lineo would flag a ball out as soon as any part gets even vaguely close to the line (except between the posts and under the bar, obviously)

1731 posts