VAR

1731 posts
Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: VAR

by Franchise FC » 20 Dec 2020 19:57

Livermore (WBA) rightly sent off for an appalling challenge directed via VAR
Hause (Villa) commits what is essentially the same challenge and apparently only a yellow

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 09 Jan 2021 19:23

Anyone know why some games in the FA Cup 3rd round have VAR and some don’t ?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 09 Jan 2021 19:36

Franchise FC Anyone know why some games in the FA Cup 3rd round have VAR and some don’t ?

Only Prem grounds isn't it?

Needle

by Needle » 09 Jan 2021 19:51

Good decision to keep the Arsenal lad on

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 09 Jan 2021 20:04

Pepe the Horseman
Franchise FC Anyone know why some games in the FA Cup 3rd round have VAR and some don’t ?

Correct decision, just can’t get my head round different rules in the same competition. Just seems odd

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 09 Jan 2021 20:35

Franchise FC
Pepe the Horseman

Correct decision, just can’t get my head round different rules in the same competition. Just seems odd

Yeh agreed, should be all or nothing. Same with League Cup. VAR didn't come in until semi final!

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 09 Jan 2021 20:36

Pepe the Horseman
Franchise FC
Pepe the Horseman Only Prem grounds isn't it?

Yeh agreed, should be all or nothing. Same with League Cup. VAR didn't come in until semi final!

Oddly, I was ok with it being ALL games in the same round

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 09 Jan 2021 22:14

Franchise FC
Pepe the Horseman
Franchise FC Correct decision, just can’t get my head round different rules in the same competition. Just seems odd

Oddly, I was ok with it being ALL games in the same round

Yeah I think it’s fine if it’s all the same round but having it or not based on whether you’re drawn at home or away would sting a bit.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 09 Jan 2021 23:43

Needle Good decision to keep the Arsenal lad on

I’m not sure

I think I’d edge towards it warranting a yellow but could see perhaps why a red was given

What I’m not sure I agree with is whether the red was a “clear and obvious” error and henceforth not sure if the original decision should have been overturned

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 10 Jan 2021 05:22

URZZZZ

I’m not sure

I think I’d edge towards it warranting a yellow but could see perhaps why a red was given

What I’m not sure I agree with is whether the red was a “clear and obvious” error and henceforth not sure if the original decision should have been overturned

It would be nice if we had some communication between VAR & the ref

VAR: 'did you see that the defender made contact with the striker?'
REF: 'yes, but I don't think it was enough'
VAR: 'OK, cheers!'

or

REF: 'no!'
VAR: 'you may wish to review on-screen'

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 10 Jan 2021 07:24

BR0B0T
URZZZZ

I’m not sure

or

Apart from the obvious issue that it may highlight some inadequacies, I cannot see why ref's aren't miked up as they are in other sports.

It would give the spectators a much better idea as to the thought process.

But then controversy is seen as a means of keeping the product high on the agenda. If fans are arguing about the game they're still watching - or am I being way too cynical

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jan 2021 14:17

Franchise FC
BR0B0T
URZZZZ
I’m not sure

or

Apart from the obvious issue that it may highlight some inadequacies, I cannot see why ref's aren't miked up as they are in other sports.

But then controversy is seen as a means of keeping the product high on the agenda. If fans are arguing about the game they're still watching - or am I being way too cynical

Broadcasters won't let them be miked up because games aren't after the watershed.

You've only got to watch games to see the dogs abuse officials get from the players, even if you're no good at lip reading.

The only way to stop it is to enforce respect with cards. But the officials have been pussies about it for decades, so I don't see it changing any time soon. And it would result in about two months of most games being abandoned due to the number of sendings off.

Might work with an orange 5/10 minute sin bin card for disrespect I suppose.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 10 Jan 2021 15:07

Snowflake Royal
Franchise FC
BR0B0T

or

Broadcasters won't let them be miked up because games aren't after the watershed.

You've only got to watch games to see the dogs abuse officials get from the players, even if you're no good at lip reading.

The only way to stop it is to enforce respect with cards. But the officials have been pussies about it for decades, so I don't see it changing any time soon. And it would result in about two months of most games being abandoned due to the number of sendings off.

There's a job for someone.
Mike them up , broadcast 5 seconds delayed, get an apprentice to hit the bleep button.

May only hear 90 minutes of bleeping, though

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 Jan 2021 00:09

Snowflake Royal
Franchise FC
BR0B0T

or

Slightly off tangent, but I’m surprised they haven’t imposed some sort of “orange” card through the game yet - rugby alike

Reckon it’d really help out in certain situations as I really do believe that some offences are “too weak for a red, but too strong for a yellow”

Not sure what the sort of infringements are in rugby that warrants the sin bin but I’ve always thought it could be utilised in football

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 11 Jan 2021 11:59

Snowflake Royal

Said this to Mrs S the other day during the Fulham v Southampton game - Che Adams could be seen quite clearly to have told the referee directly to 'fcuk off' twice in about three minutes. Start booking players for this and dissent would disappear pretty quickly.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 11 Jan 2021 12:27

Sanguine
Snowflake Royal

Said this to Mrs S the other day during the Fulham v Southampton game - Che Adams could be seen quite clearly to have told the referee directly to 'fcuk off' twice in about three minutes. Start booking players for this and dissent would disappear pretty quickly.

Couldn't agree more.
BTW did Mrs S feign interest and then express her views on the offside rule and whether the pass-back rule has quickened the game up? :wink:

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 11 Jan 2021 12:32

South Coast Royal
Sanguine
Snowflake Royal

Couldn't agree more.
BTW did Mrs S feign interest and then express her views on the offside rule and whether the pass-back rule has quickened the game up? :wink:

Mrs S is a bigger football fan than I am! Worked at RFC for ten years, and for Fulham since where she's in senior management. Also has a peculiarly good eye for close decisions - where I'm leaping around screaming 'penalty!' at everything, she's remarkably accurate at spotting the dives and soft ones.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Jan 2021 13:17

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal
Franchise FC

Slightly off tangent, but I’m surprised they haven’t imposed some sort of “orange” card through the game yet - rugby alike

Reckon it’d really help out in certain situations as I really do believe that some offences are “too weak for a red, but too strong for a yellow”

Not sure what the sort of infringements are in rugby that warrants the sin bin but I’ve always thought it could be utilised in football

Football and rugby are different games though. If rugby was a less regimented game and didn’t have the history of about 100 years without a club league system then there’d probably be more of an issue between players and officials. Also the impression I have generally is that the supporters of rugby clubs aren’t as partisan as fans of football so rugby players don’t necessarily get as wound up as their counterparts.

Still would welcome footballers being told clearly that a) the referee will only respond to conversation from the team captain and b) any foul or abusive language directed towards ANY official or player will be subject to an immediate yellow card. Trouble is if the referee doesn’t speak about 5 different languages you could end up with British/Irish/American/Australian etc. players being unfairly discriminated against.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 11 Jan 2021 14:21

Sutekh Also the impression I have generally is that the supporters of rugby clubs aren’t as partisan as fans of football so rugby players don’t necessarily get as wound up as their counterparts.

So there's been no foul or abusive language aimed at refs this season then? Players do it because its accepted behaviour and 99 times out of 100 they'll get away with it.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 11 Jan 2021 16:04

Sanguine
South Coast Royal
Sanguine

Couldn't agree more.

Mrs S is a bigger football fan than I am! Worked at RFC for ten years, and for Fulham since where she's in senior management. Also has a peculiarly good eye for close decisions - where I'm leaping around screaming 'penalty!' at everything, she's remarkably accurate at spotting the dives and soft ones.

Perhaps she should be the one posting in the team and general football categories. :wink:

1731 posts