1731 posts
South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: VAR

by South Coast Royal » 21 Feb 2021 11:05

Hendo
URZZZZ
Hendo
Only seen a still of it. I think is knee is offside, it a close one though.

Did the lino give it offside in real time? I can see exactly why he would if he did, based on the body shapes of the two players.

Undoubtedly close - seemed to be the weird lines again though

Three VAR calls today, not convinced they were all right. Agreed with the West Brom red card, fairly obvious

Actually thought the Calvert Lewin one was a penalty too - seemed to be some amazement that it was given but to me, appeared like the leg moved up to stop him

One I didn’t agree with is the Fulham tackle on Bogle, thought it was a clear penalty and surprised they didn’t give it

Only seen the DCL one and I thought it was a penalty 100%. It might be a bit accidental but DCL makes it 2-0 without a touch there and you see free kicks (and even people sent off) given when someone slips and brings someone down, which is also an accident. It’s still a foul.

Did you see it live or on Match of the day?

I know I am biased but am glad that last night's decision by Kavanagh was probably not game-changing but was up there with the worst this season.
Calvert-Lewin kicks Trent in the head, causing him to fall over.

Both commentators were astounded and whoever was the VAR ref asked Kavanagh to take a second look, which normally means a decision is overturned.
Kavanagh takes "a second look" literally as he has just a cursory glance lasting no more than 5 seconds and sprints back to give the penalty.

There were no further angles, no second or third viewing when the VAR ref obviously had severe doubts about the decision.
Refs often take a minute or more thoroughly studying the event but Kavanagh disrespectfully did nothing of the sort.

Fortunately in this instance it did not affect the result as it was another game where Liverpool were never going to score.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Feb 2021 11:14

South Coast Royal
Hendo
URZZZZ
Undoubtedly close - seemed to be the weird lines again though

Three VAR calls today, not convinced they were all right. Agreed with the West Brom red card, fairly obvious

Actually thought the Calvert Lewin one was a penalty too - seemed to be some amazement that it was given but to me, appeared like the leg moved up to stop him

One I didn’t agree with is the Fulham tackle on Bogle, thought it was a clear penalty and surprised they didn’t give it

Only seen the DCL one and I thought it was a penalty 100%. It might be a bit accidental but DCL makes it 2-0 without a touch there and you see free kicks (and even people sent off) given when someone slips and brings someone down, which is also an accident. It’s still a foul.

I know I am biased but am glad that last night's decision by Kavanagh was probably not game-changing but was up there with the worst this season.

Both commentators were astounded and whoever was the VAR ref asked Kavanagh to take a second look, which normally means a decision is overturned.
Kavanagh takes "a second look" literally as he has just a cursory glance lasting no more than 5 seconds and sprints back to give the penalty.

There were no further angles, no second or third viewing when the VAR ref obviously had severe doubts about the decision.
Refs often take a minute or more thoroughly studying the event but Kavanagh disrespectfully did nothing of the sort.

Fortunately in this instance it did not affect the result as it was another game where Liverpool were never going to score.

I watched it live and thought it was a penalty in real time and thought it was a penalty after watching the replays. Maybe the ref went to look at the screen to see if it was worth of a red, saw it was accidental but still a foul and confirmed he made the right decision?

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 21 Feb 2021 11:23

Hendo
South Coast Royal
Hendo

I watched it live and thought it was a penalty in real time and thought it was a penalty after watching the replays. Maybe the ref went to look at the screen to see if it was worth of a red, saw it was accidental but still a foul and confirmed he made the right decision?

Maybe, but I suspect you are in the minority .
I really can't see how a 5 second viewing can make anything so clear one way or another-he didn't look at any further angles and went by a view from about 30 yards away looking at an incident of a jumble of 3 players, including the keeper-his haste was indeed undue..

In the West Brom game it took about 12 x as long to decide whether a defender had intentionally handled when it looked clear straight off.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 21 Feb 2021 13:24

Maybe Kavanagh though immediately that it wasn’t a clear and obvious error, which he could tell straight away

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Feb 2021 10:28

Good decision to overturn the Southampton penalty last night at Leeds although not quite sure what took so long to make a decision, thought it was a pretty obvious error!

Even with the frustrations of VAR, still good to acknowledge where it works well, as was so last night

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 24 Feb 2021 15:49

I am an expert at VAR and believe it is not being used properly

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 24 Feb 2021 16:34

I am not an expert in VAR and even I know it's not being used properly

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Feb 2021 21:57

Simmops I am an expert at VAR and believe it is not being used properly

You could always elaborate on how you’re an expert on the “expertise thread”? I’m sure people are dying to know more

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 24 Feb 2021 21:58

URZZZZ

You could always elaborate on how you’re an expert on the “expertise thread”? I’m sure people are dying to know more

No. Nobody cares. I did a presentation but they all laughed at me even though I've been proven right.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Feb 2021 21:59

Simmops
URZZZZ

No. Nobody cares. I did a presentation but they all laughed at me even though I've been proven right.

Oh, that’s a shame, you could have broadcast your talents!

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 27 Feb 2021 19:26

Absolutely oxf*rd shambolic today in the WBA game. Not so much VAR although it had a part to play. Wtf was the freekick sequence about

Emmer Green Royal

by Emmer Green Royal » 28 Feb 2021 08:40

[quote="Simmops"]Absolutely oxf*rd shambolic today in the WBA game. Not so much VAR although it had a part to play. Wtf was the freekick sequence about[/quote]

Dunk asked the ref if he could take the free kick. The ref blew his whistle and Dunk scored. At some point the whistle was blown a second time. I haven't seen a replay that makes it clear if that was before or after the ball crossed the line.

If the second whistle was before the ball crossed the line (and there was no actual reason for the whistle), then the correct restart was a drop ball more or less on the goal line. So yet another mistake by Lee Mason.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 28 Feb 2021 16:48

Not VAR's fault, but how the fcuk is that not a pen for Utd?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Mar 2021 13:11

Pepe the Horseman Not VAR's fault, but how the fcuk is that not a pen for Utd?

Beginning to dislike Ole who’s following his fellow Prem counterparts in constantly whinging but I reckon he’s spot on that ever since certain fellow managers have pointed out their penalty record, they’ve been shafted by VAR and accordingly been awarded fewer penalties

That being said, his comments of the non-penalty award “costing” his team 2 points was daft because (A) - a penalty doesn’t equal a goal and (B) - the flow of the game may have been completely different if United had gone 1 up

Gets to me when managers come out with comments like that as it’s just pure nonsense

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 01 Mar 2021 13:58

Agreed. But I struggle to have much sympathy for Solskjaer. Was he 'concerned' that no penalty was awarded against Maguire earlier in the season for strangling an attacker?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 01 Mar 2021 14:39

Sanguine

Agreed. But I struggle to have much sympathy for Solskjaer. Was he 'concerned' that no penalty was awarded against Maguire earlier in the season for strangling an attacker?

By coincidence a Chelsea ‘attacker’ (actually a defender in Azpilicueta)

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 01 Mar 2021 16:18

Sanguine

That's every manager ever tbf (just multiply it by whatever bias you/we have for that particular team)

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Mar 2021 22:55

Few contentious calls today

Looks like Diagne’s offside call was the correct one

However, less sure on Fulham’s disallowed goal, Kante’s handball and Werner’s disallowed goal
Inconsistencies of the handball decisions come to light again

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 03 Apr 2021 15:45

Surprised they didn't look at Baldock's two footed challenge, surely the point of VAR is to pick up on things like that?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 12 Apr 2021 18:38

Are the PGMOL trying to get VAR scrapped ?

This weekend has been an abomination.

And so it goes on in the WBA v Southampton game where they 'couldn't put the lines on the screen' so disallowed what looked like a perfectly good goal

1731 posts