VAR

1732 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: VAR

by URZZZZ » 12 Apr 2021 19:13

Franchise FC Are the PGMOL trying to get VAR scrapped ?

This weekend has been an abomination.

And so it goes on in the WBA v Southampton game where they 'couldn't put the lines on the screen' so disallowed what looked like a perfectly good goal

I just can’t believe how poorly it’s operated

Although it had seemed to have been better these last few weeks before this one, maybe it was missing the buzz of controversy

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Apr 2021 19:36

Congratulations to VAR for the worst decision made this season at West Ham

The game is finished if that’s a red card

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 24 Apr 2021 19:59

URZZZZ Congratulations to VAR for the worst decision made this season at West Ham

Dunno, the other West ham player that got sent off by Mike Dean for an elbow at Fulham takes some beating, but agree this one was an absolute joke.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 24 Apr 2021 20:02

windermereROYAL
URZZZZ Congratulations to VAR for the worst decision made this season at West Ham

Dunno, the other West ham player that got sent off by Mike Dean for an elbow at Fulham takes some beating, but agree this one was an absolute joke.

Surely this one will also get rescinded, making VAR an even bigger joke.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 24 Apr 2021 21:02

Pepe the Horseman
windermereROYAL

I don't get how you are meant to play football if people get sent off for following through on a clearence :lol: :lol: :lol:

This coupled with a disallowed goal because that stupid handball rule, where it was LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE for the bounce from 1 foot away not to hit the guys hand, is a joke

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 Apr 2021 01:03

Pepe the Horseman
windermereROYAL

I just don’t understand how they could have come to that conclusion

I’ll never be a supporter of VAR as I think it goes against everything that football should be, I.e removes the raw emotions of the game. However, with an objective hat on here, it could be useful to an extent if implemented properly

Little point spending so much money/time/research into technologies if you’re not going to implement it properly

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 25 Apr 2021 08:10

URZZZZ
Pepe the Horseman
windermereROYAL

I just don’t understand how they could have come to that conclusion

I’ll never be a supporter of VAR as I think it goes against everything that football should be, I.e removes the raw emotions of the game. However, with an objective hat on here, it could be useful to an extent if implemented properly

Little point spending so much money/time/research into technologies if you’re not going to implement it properly

Slowed down it looked quite nasty. But that's where common sense needs to come in. In real time and the context of what actually happened, there's no way it could ever be a foul let alone a red card. If anything you could even argue it was a foul on Balbuena.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 25 Apr 2021 09:55

I thought the ref got it spot on, it was cynical from Balbuena. He transferred his weight from his standing left leg to the right in order to injure Chilwell. The normal motion is to swing your right leg and keep the weight on the left. That way he could of hopped away after hitting Chilwell with his follow through.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 25 Apr 2021 21:01

PieEater I thought the ref got it spot on, it was cynical from Balbuena. He transferred his weight from his standing left leg to the right in order to injure Chilwell. The normal motion is to swing your right leg and keep the weight on the left. That way he could of hopped away after hitting Chilwell with his follow through.

I have some sympathy with that viewpoint although I did think there was not enough certainty in that and so imo it was the wrong call.

Certainly not the terrible scandalous decision everyone is making it out to be.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 26 Apr 2021 15:50

Sorry but that's absolute bollocks. He cleared the ball. He 'shifted his weight off of his left foot' because you can't clear the ball effectively with your right without doing so.
Last edited by Sanguine on 27 Apr 2021 08:00, edited 1 time in total.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 27 Apr 2021 01:00

Sanguine Sprry but that's absolute bollocks. He cleared the ball. He 'shifted his weight off of his left foot' because you can't clear the ball effectively with your right without doing so.

Stopped watching at that point as I knew the game would fizzle out - decision really did kill what could have been a really exciting last 10 minutes as West Ham would have piled men forward for an equaliser

However I did find it interesting, searching among Twitter that Coufal (I believe) committed almost an identical “foul” just 5 minutes after (something Moyes also alluded to). Didn’t see the incident itself but where’s the grounds of consistency among refereeing decisions (even amongst the same game itself). Become a farce unfortunately - really hope they don’t persevere with it too much longer/they change something as it isn’t working

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 27 Apr 2021 23:27

Balbuena’s red card overturned

A bit poor IMO to have decisions overturned even after the benefit of video technology during the process. Goes to show how farcical the decision really was

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 28 Apr 2021 08:22

URZZZZ Balbuena’s red card overturned

A bit poor IMO to have decisions overturned even after the benefit of video technology during the process. Goes to show how farcical the decision really was

!00%. It is a really poor look for VAR when a decision doesn't get given on the field, then gets given because of VAR and then gets overturned.

As I have been saying for as long as I can remember, I don't think that red cards or "subjective" issues should be under VAR scrutiny.

Offsides - yes, it is either on or off, even if they are taking the piss a bit with all the bloody lines.

Goal line technology - no issue. It seems to work (apart from at Villa Park last year) and it is either in or it isn't.

Both of those are pretty much yes or no decisions, but red cards will always be subjective.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 28 Apr 2021 08:27

Opens the question to me as to what pressure referees are getting behind the scenes to use VAR in a certain way. There is still nowhere near enough transparency on VAR decisions. What did Kavanagh see in the replays that made him issue a red card? What was said to Kavanagh on his ear-piece? What discussion, if any, did he have with Michael Oliver?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Apr 2021 12:06

Hendo

!00%. It is a really poor look for VAR when a decision doesn't get given on the field, then gets given because of VAR and then gets overturned.

As I have been saying for as long as I can remember, I don't think that red cards or "subjective" issues should be under VAR scrutiny.

Offsides - yes, it is either on or off, even if they are taking the piss a bit with all the bloody lines.

Goal line technology - no issue. It seems to work (apart from at Villa Park last year) and it is either in or it isn't.

Both of those are pretty much yes or no decisions, but red cards will always be subjective.

Wouldn't be against an appeal system (used in tennis and cricket IIRC) for things such as penalty decisions and red cards (1-2 a game, for example)

Although even that I think goes against the "true" football principles, IMO it isn't a game for continuous little stops

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Apr 2021 12:12

Sanguine Opens the question to me as to what pressure referees are getting behind the scenes to use VAR in a certain way. There is still nowhere near enough transparency on VAR decisions. What did Kavanagh see in the replays that made him issue a red card? What was said to Kavanagh on his ear-piece? What discussion, if any, did he have with Michael Oliver?

Mentioned a while ago, ala the rugby system, fans would perhaps be more understanding if they were kept in the loop - so we could hear what's going on between the on field referee and the VAR refs for example

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 28 Apr 2021 12:14

URZZZZ
Sanguine Opens the question to me as to what pressure referees are getting behind the scenes to use VAR in a certain way. There is still nowhere near enough transparency on VAR decisions. What did Kavanagh see in the replays that made him issue a red card? What was said to Kavanagh on his ear-piece? What discussion, if any, did he have with Michael Oliver?

Mentioned a while ago, ala the rugby system, fans would perhaps be more understanding if they were kept in the loop - so we could hear what's going on between the on field referee and the VAR refs for example

Agree with both of this.

URZZZZ
Hendo

Wouldn't be against an appeal system (used in tennis and cricket IIRC) for things such as penalty decisions and red cards (1-2 a game, for example)

Although even that I think goes against the "true" football principles, IMO it isn't a game for continuous little stops

Less agreed with this as I think you're right, it does make it very start stop. Whereas cricket and tennis are a bit start stop anyway.

I think you'd have to limit to 1 a half for it to work.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 28 Apr 2021 13:26

URZZZZ

Except that football fans would cheer, jeer and/or comment en masse as the conversation is heard

Much easier to just scrap VAR and let the referee referee and call things as he sees it using the laws of the game and common sense as a guide. Oh but then I forgot, £££££££ long ago put an end to any danger of that happening.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 Apr 2021 00:27

Sutekh
URZZZZ

Except that football fans would cheer, jeer and/or comment en masse as the conversation is heard

Much easier to just scrap VAR and let the referee referee and call things as he sees it using the laws of the game and common sense as a guide. Oh but then I forgot, £££££££ long ago put an end to any danger of that happening.

Whilst I do on the whole agree with what you’re saying that it’d be better for the game, I do also see the justification for some form of video technology. Ultimately, with the amount of money banded around in the game, it’s difficult to burden so much responsibility on one person

It’s a difficult one - but surely they can see what’s happening now just isn’t working

Would like to hear what the current refs’ views are on it

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 01 May 2021 12:31

Surely the Southampton red gets rescinded?

1732 posts