Weekend Football

5530 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Weekend Football

by URZZZZ » 08 Mar 2021 21:59

If I’ve looked at the stats properly, West Ham haven’t lost a league game since the opening day of the season to a non “big 6” team - what an absolutely brilliant job Moyes is doing there

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 08 Mar 2021 22:04

URZZZZ If I’ve looked at the stats properly, West Ham haven’t lost a league game since the opening day of the season to a non “big 6” team - what an absolutely brilliant job Moyes is doing there

Can confirm that you have looked at the stats properly. Two such fixtures up next, at Old Trafford and then they host Arsenal.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Mar 2021 22:10

Sanguine
URZZZZ If I’ve looked at the stats properly, West Ham haven’t lost a league game since the opening day of the season to a non “big 6” team - what an absolutely brilliant job Moyes is doing there

Can confirm that you have looked at the stats properly. Two such fixtures up next, at Old Trafford and then they host Arsenal.

Should be an interesting race for the top 4, I think at this stage they’d have more chance of catching Leicester who are having a bit of an injury crisis at the moment, as opposed to Chelsea who are on fire

Realistically, West Ham got be looking at 3-4 points from the next two if they want top four, however I’m sure they’d still be content with a Europa League finish!

Don’t know the rules too well,
but could be a bit messy come the end of the season with who qualifies as I can see an English team winning the EL, not sure how what affects what but a long way to go still

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 09 Mar 2021 09:03

URZZZZ but could be a bit messy come the end of the season with who qualifies as I can see an English team winning the EL, not sure how what affects what but a long way to go still

Where a team wins the Europa League and qualifies directly for the Champions League, that country's Europa League berths are reduced by one.

But it'll be messy (or different) next season anyway, as the UEFA 'Conference League' gets underway. This season over 200 teams entered the Europa League, next season it is less than 60, and for England our qualifiers will be the 5th placed Premier League side (unless an English team wins the Europa League this season and doesn't finish in the top 4, in which case we lose the league berth), and the FA Cup winners.

We get one entrant for the UEFA Conference League - whilst other countries have chosen to award this to the team finishing 6th in the top division, in England it will go to the EFL Cup winners, so this might prove to be Spurs' route into Europe next season, if they finish outside of the top 5.

Perhaps the most pertinent change made to qualification for these tournaments made by UEFA is that where a team 'vacates' a qualifying berth by dint of league placing or a competition win, the place doesn't automatically go to another team from the same country, but their place goes to the highest ranked side that has been made to enter a previous round.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 09 Mar 2021 14:33

What happens to the European places if Liverpool win the Champions League, Spurs win the Europa League and both finish outside the top 4?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 09 Mar 2021 17:17

Sanguine
URZZZZ but could be a bit messy come the end of the season with who qualifies as I can see an English team winning the EL, not sure how what affects what but a long way to go still

Where a team wins the Europa League and qualifies directly for the Champions League, that country's Europa League berths are reduced by one.

But it'll be messy (or different) next season anyway, as the UEFA 'Conference League' gets underway. This season over 200 teams entered the Europa League, next season it is less than 60, and for England our qualifiers will be the 5th placed Premier League side (unless an English team wins the Europa League this season and doesn't finish in the top 4, in which case we lose the league berth), and the FA Cup winners.

We get one entrant for the UEFA Conference League - whilst other countries have chosen to award this to the team finishing 6th in the top division, in England it will go to the EFL Cup winners, so this might prove to be Spurs' route into Europe next season, if they finish outside of the top 5.

Perhaps the most pertinent change made to qualification for these tournaments made by UEFA is that where a team 'vacates' a qualifying berth by dint of league placing or a competition win, the place doesn't automatically go to another team from the same country, but their place goes to the highest ranked side that has been made to enter a previous round.

Interesting, although had to read it a few times to get it all :)

I’m guessing with regards to the reply above, 4th place would end up in the EL if both the EL and CL were won by “non top 4” English teams - would be particularly gutting if you were a Everton/West Ham/Leicester fan and that happened to you

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Mar 2021 12:40

Not 100% sure where to put this, but here goes - https://twitter.com/talkSPORT/status/1369548576280301568

TalkSport must be getting desperate for people to call in and text because this is just :|

Some of the stuff AD says is quite good bait and will always get a reaction from opposing fans, but this is pretty pathetic, it is almost laughable.

“I’ve gone Grealish, Mount... and my left field pick is Ryan Kent at Rangers!”

“Kent gets in a lot of PL sides, he’s been one of best I’ve seen this season!”

Adrian Durham picked his PL team of the year so far... and #RangersFC’s Ryan Kent earned himself a place

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 13 Mar 2021 18:53

Burton make it six wins in a row, and 9 out of 12 since JFH returned.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Mar 2021 21:15

Salford win the FL Trophy.

They will hold the title for a maximum of 24hrs, as today was last seasons final and tomorrow sees Sunderland play Tranmere in this season's final.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 13 Mar 2021 21:25

Stranded Salford win the FL Trophy.

They will hold the title for a maximum of 24hrs, as today was last seasons final and tomorrow sees Sunderland play Tranmere in this season's final.

Ha ha that’s quite funny

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 14 Mar 2021 17:11

Lamela’s goal in the NLD was oxf*rd filthy, brilliant goal.

Arsenal hit the woodwork twice, once from ES-R and once from Cedric. The one from Cedric would’ve taken the net off, he nailed it.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 14 Mar 2021 17:24

Hendo Lamela’s goal in the NLD was oxf*rd filthy, brilliant goal.

Arsenal hit the woodwork twice, once from ES-R and once from Cedric. The one from Cedric would’ve taken the net off, he nailed it.

Gets better every time I watch it. Spurs not been in the game at all apart from that.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 14 Mar 2021 20:17

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 14 Mar 2021 21:48

WoodleyRoyal Um WTAF https://streamable.com/g8vz25

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 15 Mar 2021 21:50

So if the linesman flags immediately, instead of this stupid fcuking delay until the 'phase' of play is over, Rui Patricio doesn't end up in what looks like a pretty desperate situation after colliding with Coady/Salah. Ffs. Really was only a matter of time before this happened.

Not often it takes 12 minutes, and counting, to remove an injured player from the pitch. Hope this isn't a Petr Cech-type injury.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Mar 2021 23:10

Sanguine So if the linesman flags immediately, instead of this stupid fcuking delay until the 'phase' of play is over, Rui Patricio doesn't end up in what looks like a pretty desperate situation after colliding with Coady/Salah. Ffs. Really was only a matter of time before this happened.

Not often it takes 12 minutes, and counting, to remove an injured player from the pitch. Hope this isn't a Petr Cech-type injury.

I get where you’re coming from in a normal situation as that rule is ridiculous but this one was a pretty close call wasn’t it? Could be wrong - but I thought looking at it at the time it was a fairly close one

Regardless, hope he recovers well, not a pleasant sight for anyone but particularly Jimenez who was watching on from the stadium

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 17 Mar 2021 13:50

Not convinced Coady would have pulled up if the linesman had flagged any quicker and he actually flagged correctly rather than this new plan to just wait and see what happens

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 19 Mar 2021 16:51

10 game combined form table of all 4 divs

1. Barnsley 28pts
2. Man City 27pts
3. Norwich 27pts
4. Bolton 26pts
5. Burton 25pts
6. Watford 25pts

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 Mar 2021 21:20

Brighton are a real classy side to watch, obviously a dislikeable bunch of fans but Potter is a real likeable guy - gets his teams playing good football, doesn’t whinge about anything and everything unlike so many others

Always really liked Lallana too, really intelligent player, and with lots of hard work too, it’s a shame he’s had so many injuries in the last few years as IMO he’d have been a good player for the England side on a more regular basis

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 20 Mar 2021 22:34

URZZZZ Brighton are a real classy side to watch, obviously a dislikeable bunch of fans but Potter is a real likeable guy - gets his teams playing good football, doesn’t whinge about anything and everything unlike so many others

Always really liked Lallana too, really intelligent player, and with lots of hard work too, it’s a shame he’s had so many injuries in the last few years as IMO he’d have been a good player for the England side on a more regular basis

Living in a place where the only football teams are either Brighton or Crawley, I can't decide which fans are more insufferable.

Brighton fans are oxf*rd deluded and are too big for their boots, arrogant whingers.

Crawley fans are just thick knuckle draggers.

5530 posts