Weekend Football

5337 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Weekend Football

by URZZZZ » 21 Apr 2021 11:19

Sanguine Ridiculous stat noted at half-time in the Wolves game at the weekend - Wolves have played 108 games since their most recent promotion to the Premier League, and have failed to score in the first half in 78 of them. :shock:

Did see that - was going to post it but forgot what the numbers were

Found it strange at the start of the season that Nuno wanted to transition from a counter attacking team to a more possession based one given the obvious strengths of Adama, Neto and Podence. They’re a bit of a dire watch really - although in their defence their man striker has been injured pretty much the entire season which can’t have helped

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 22 Apr 2021 22:56

Two players that have really impressed me this season (aside from the obvious) are Mahrez and Iheanacho. Can probably add Gundogan to that list two. Players who obviously had talent but lacked the consistency on a game to game basis and hence struggled for regular game time - all been excellent this season

Iheanacho with a goal every 107 minutes is particularly impressive

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 23 Apr 2021 07:07

URZZZZ Two players that have really impressed me this season (aside from the obvious) are Mahrez and Iheanacho. Can probably add Gundogan to that list two. Players who obviously had talent but lacked the consistency on a game to game basis and hence struggled for regular game time - all been excellent this season

Iheanacho just needed to mature a little bit, he had the tools but just needed a cool head which only comes with game time. Think he is with the perfect manager at Leicester, Rodgers must be great to work with.

On a slightly different note, if Spurs aren't thinking of approaching Rodgers then they are mad. He is the manager for them.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 23 Apr 2021 10:40

NathStPaul
URZZZZ Two players that have really impressed me this season (aside from the obvious) are Mahrez and Iheanacho. Can probably add Gundogan to that list two. Players who obviously had talent but lacked the consistency on a game to game basis and hence struggled for regular game time - all been excellent this season

Iheanacho just needed to mature a little bit, he had the tools but just needed a cool head which only comes with game time. Think he is with the perfect manager at Leicester, Rodgers must be great to work with.

On a slightly different note, if Spurs aren't thinking of approaching Rodgers then they are mad. He is the manager for them.

Would you leave Leicester for Spurs though? Unless Rodgers can come in and change the Spurs squad, he'd only be weakening his own hand

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 23 Apr 2021 10:49

URZZZZ
NathStPaul

Would you leave Leicester for Spurs though? Unless Rodgers can come in and change the Spurs squad, he'd only be weakening his own hand

If I were Rodgers I probably would, yes. I think with Leicester there is a ceiling and he has probably hit that ceiling now, getting them into the Champions League is a tremendous achievement and is about as high as it gets for them going forward, I don't see another surprise Premier League win in their futuure. If he goes to Spurs and settles the club down and has the money to build a new squad of hungry young players, I think his reputation only gets enhanced even further. It would be by no means an easy decision though.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 23 Apr 2021 11:14

I don't know. If Rodgers looks at the playing squads, I think he'd be convinced to stick around at Leicester. He's got 'names' on his CV already in Liverpool and Celtic, but he's really building something now. They were top 4 for much of last season, and hopefully this time around (well I hope so anyway) can stick it out - and that in itself is an achievement not to be sniffed at, in permanently (it seems) breaking into the top echelons of the Premier League.

What would really excite me about Leicester though, if I were Brendan, is the age of the squad. Fofana is 20, Justin 23, Soyuncu 24, Tielemans (this guy is going to be one hell of a player) is 23, Maddison 24, Ndidi 24, Barnes 23, Iheanacho (who seems to have been around forever) is 24. I'd be looking at that nucleus and thinking that if I can replace Schmeichel, Vardy and Evans (as a back-up CB) when required I've got a squad that isn't even at its peak for another three years.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 23 Apr 2021 11:20

The race for the final CL spots looks like going down to the wire. As above I hope Leicester hold on to 3rd, and despite the bit of Scouse in me, I also hope West Ham can grab 4th place. Chelsea visit tomorrow, and that result might go some way to deciding things. After that, there's not much in West Ham's run-in that should worry them, with four of the bottom seven still to play. Chelsea's last three games are Man City, Arsenal and Leicester, and the latter host Spurs on the last day. Apart from a trip to United, Liverpool's run-in looks simple too.

Heart says West Ham or Liverpool, head says Chelsea have been solid enough under Tuchel that they'll nick it.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 23 Apr 2021 11:21

Yeah you're correct in what you say, I think it would be an extremely tough choice for him to make and there are pros and cons for both sides. I absolutely believe he is the manager Spurs need though, think he is made for them.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 23 Apr 2021 11:30

NathStPaul
URZZZZ
NathStPaul Iheanacho just needed to mature a little bit, he had the tools but just needed a cool head which only comes with game time. Think he is with the perfect manager at Leicester, Rodgers must be great to work with.

If I were Rodgers I probably would, yes. I think with Leicester there is a ceiling and he has probably hit that ceiling now, getting them into the Champions League is a tremendous achievement and is about as high as it gets for them going forward, I don't see another surprise Premier League win in their futuure. If he goes to Spurs and settles the club down and has the money to build a new squad of hungry young players, I think his reputation only gets enhanced even further. It would be by no means an easy decision though.

Think he’d want to give the Champions League a go if he got there with Leicester - IMO would be daft spending all that time to get there to leave at the end

Problem is if he doesn’t achieve top four this year - rightly or wrongly you know what people would start to say about him given the position they were in both this season and last season

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 23 Apr 2021 11:33

Sanguine The race for the final CL spots looks like going down to the wire. As above I hope Leicester hold on to 3rd, and despite the bit of Scouse in me, I also hope West Ham can grab 4th place. Chelsea visit tomorrow, and that result might go some way to deciding things. After that, there's not much in West Ham's run-in that should worry them, with four of the bottom seven still to play. Chelsea's last three games are Man City, Arsenal and Leicester, and the latter host Spurs on the last day. Apart from a trip to United, Liverpool's run-in looks simple too.

Heart says West Ham or Liverpool, head says Chelsea have been solid enough under Tuchel that they'll nick it.

I wouldn’t rule Spurs out either - only a couple of points off with West Ham to play Chelsea this weekend

Firstly, the manager bounce is quite common and given how it’s rumoured the player didn’t like Jose (and Jose basically thought most were useless) they’ll be desperate to prove a point

Secondly, their fixture list doesn’t look too bad with Sheffield United, Leeds, Wolves and Villa to play still (I.e teams with nothing to play for). Could be a big clash with Leicester last day of the season

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 23 Apr 2021 11:34

Sanguine I don't know. If Rodgers looks at the playing squads, I think he'd be convinced to stick around at Leicester. He's got 'names' on his CV already in Liverpool and Celtic, but he's really building something now. They were top 4 for much of last season, and hopefully this time around (well I hope so anyway) can stick it out - and that in itself is an achievement not to be sniffed at, in permanently (it seems) breaking into the top echelons of the Premier League.

What would really excite me about Leicester though, if I were Brendan, is the age of the squad. Fofana is 20, Justin 23, Soyuncu 24, Tielemans (this guy is going to be one hell of a player) is 23, Maddison 24, Ndidi 24, Barnes 23, Iheanacho (who seems to have been around forever) is 24. I'd be looking at that nucleus and thinking that if I can replace Schmeichel, Vardy and Evans (as a back-up CB) when required I've got a squad that isn't even at its peak for another three years.

Surprised to see Schmeichel is 34. I know he's been around forever, but I would've guessed 30/31.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 23 Apr 2021 11:41

URZZZZ
Sanguine The race for the final CL spots looks like going down to the wire. As above I hope Leicester hold on to 3rd, and despite the bit of Scouse in me, I also hope West Ham can grab 4th place. Chelsea visit tomorrow, and that result might go some way to deciding things. After that, there's not much in West Ham's run-in that should worry them, with four of the bottom seven still to play. Chelsea's last three games are Man City, Arsenal and Leicester, and the latter host Spurs on the last day. Apart from a trip to United, Liverpool's run-in looks simple too.

I wouldn’t rule Spurs out either - only a couple of points off with West Ham to play Chelsea this weekend

Firstly, the manager bounce is quite common and given how it’s rumoured the player didn’t like Jose (and Jose basically thought most were useless) they’ll be desperate to prove a point

Secondly, their fixture list doesn’t look too bad with Sheffield United, Leeds, Wolves and Villa to play still (I.e teams with nothing to play for). Could be a big clash with Leicester last day of the season

What a game that could be. I just can't see Spurs getting the wins needed or beating West Ham or Chelsea. Need 4 points from those two game IMO.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 23 Apr 2021 11:51

NathStPaul
URZZZZ

What a game that could be. I just can't see Spurs getting the wins needed or beating West Ham or Chelsea. Need 4 points from those two game IMO.

Sorry - meant West Ham to play Chelsea. Spurs play neither West Ham or Chelsea. Infact Spurs' results against the other Champions League chasing teams (including Leicester, Liverpool, Chelsea and West Ham) has yielded just 2 points out of a possible 21. There's their downfall

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 03 May 2021 21:11

Burnley West Ham the only game I’ve watched this weekend, been a cracker! It’s a real shame Antonio has had such dodgy hamstring these last couple of years - arguably played his best football since lockdown

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 May 2021 14:33

Hasn't gone to plan at Ipswich under Cook since his arrival

In their last 8 games, they've scored just 2 goals, and failed to score in 7 of 8 games - one of the goals being a penalty against already relegated Swindon

Cook's record since joining Ipswich: P16 W4 D7 L5

Consensus is that there will be a major rebuild at Ipswich next season, with 13 first team players out of contract. One of those including Luke Chambers - who's set to leave - been there since 2012

If only they'd kept Mick, ey :wink:

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 06 May 2021 14:54

URZZZZ Hasn't gone to plan at Ipswich under Cook since his arrival

In their last 8 games, they've scored just 2 goals, and failed to score in 7 of 8 games - one of the goals being a penalty against already relegated Swindon

Consensus is that there will be a major rebuild at Ipswich next season, with 13 first team players out of contract. One of those including Luke Chambers - who's set to leave - been there since 2012

Paul Cook will get it right, he's a great manager at that level. Might stick a few quid on them winning the league next season.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 May 2021 15:16

NathStPaul
URZZZZ Hasn't gone to plan at Ipswich under Cook since his arrival

Paul Cook will get it right, he's a great manager at that level. Might stick a few quid on them winning the league next season.

Yeah - although I get the impression he’s fairly dislikeable among the fan bases - strange given he got Pompey and Wigan both up

Wait and see if Rotherham are down first, no doubt they’ll reclaim the title

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 06 May 2021 17:06

What's everyone's thoughts on the Championship final day then? I've got a sneaky suspicion Sheffield Wednesday might do it and Derby will go. I would love Rotherham to stay and see those two arrogant, self-entitled "sleeping giants" go.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 06 May 2021 22:37

John Smith What's everyone's thoughts on the Championship final day then? I've got a sneaky suspicion Sheffield Wednesday might do it and Derby will go. I would love Rotherham to stay and see those two arrogant, self-entitled "sleeping giants" go.

I want Rotherham to stay just because I'm bored of them yo yoing around, and also LOL Wayne Rooney and Derby

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 08 May 2021 19:23

Big win for Chelsea, makes it difficult for the scousers

5337 posts