Weekend Football

5693 posts
Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Weekend Football

by Winston Biscuit » 11 Nov 2020 12:06

Hendo
Winston Biscuit Michael Owen never scored more than 19 league goals in a season.

that is all

I guess his injures played an important role in that, however.

Maybe. Just amazes me now looking back how much he was seen as a superb goalscorer and the next big hope when his numbers by todays standards are really not that special.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 11 Nov 2020 12:12

Some seasons for goals in general look terrible when you go back over them

PL 04/05

1st - Henry 25
2nd Johnson 21
3rd Pires 14

WTAF?!

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 11 Nov 2020 13:59

Winston Biscuit
Hendo
Winston Biscuit Michael Owen never scored more than 19 league goals in a season.

that is all

I guess his injures played an important role in that, however.

Maybe. Just amazes me now looking back how much he was seen as a superb goalscorer and the next big hope when his numbers by todays standards are really not that special.

Indeed - at the time he felt like a regular scorer, but he was more of a Mr. Reliable - six times he scored between 16 and 19 league goals in a season, and in all competitions hit the mid-20s five times. As you suggest, the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Lewandowski have redefined what it means to be a goalscorer.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 11 Nov 2020 14:30

Interesting that the 4 goalscorers (incl Immobile) who are scoring on the modern day crazy level are all over 30

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 11 Nov 2020 14:54

Winston Biscuit Interesting that the 4 goalscorers (incl Immobile) who are scoring on the modern day crazy level are all over 30

Ibrahimovic too.

Although Haaland wants a word with you.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 11 Nov 2020 15:06

Sanguine
Winston Biscuit Interesting that the 4 goalscorers (incl Immobile) who are scoring on the modern day crazy level are all over 30

Ibrahimovic too.

Although Haaland wants a word with you.

left them both out (along with Mbappe) as their rate is good but total numbers are not over enough games to get into the 30+ club

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Nov 2020 08:31

Defending has got worse and the gap between big and little club's got vaster.

Just look at full backs, they're all failed wingers first, defenders last these days.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 12 Nov 2020 10:52

Snowflake Royal Defending has got worse and the gap between big and little club's got vaster.

Just look at full backs, they're all failed wingers first, defenders last these days.

What a ridiculous thing to say :lol:

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Nov 2020 11:28

Simmops
Snowflake Royal Defending has got worse and the gap between big and little club's got vaster.

Obvious hyperbole for effect but the point isn’t a million miles off

You don’t see many “traditional wingers” in a formation anymore, so the next best thing is to put them at FB (or wing back)

You don’t have to go far to look either, Obita converted from a LM to a LB, McCleary did stints at RB/RWB and that’s just using us an example

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Nov 2020 11:36

Esteves, Richards, Yiadom - all better going forward than defending.

Centrebacks are as much playmakers as defenders these days. :roll:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 12 Nov 2020 11:38

Yiadom started as a winger as well, when he played for Barnet.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 12 Nov 2020 11:43

URZZZZ
Simmops

You don’t see many “traditional wingers” in a formation anymore, so the next best thing is to put them at FB (or wing back)

You don’t have to go far to look either, Obita converted from a LM to a LB, McCleary did stints at RB/RWB and that’s just using us an example

:lol:

There are so many traditional wingers and full backs in football these days.

And Ian said they are failed wingers which they aren't. One I can think of is Lamptey who is more of a a RWB

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 12 Nov 2020 11:44

Snowflake Royal Esteves, Richards, Yiadom - all better going forward than defending.

Centrebacks are as much playmakers as defenders these days. :roll:

Hahahahahahahahahahahhaha :lol:

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 12 Nov 2020 11:45

You can't just use our players and decide that all lb and rb are wingers.

They aren't failed wingers.... That's the point

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 12 Nov 2020 11:47

Simmops
URZZZZ
Simmops

I don't know that there are though. You don't see players like Gary Neville, Dennis Irwin, David Beckham or Ryan Giggs anymore. Full backs do pretty much both roles now, take Robertson and TAA for Liverpool, both brilliant going forward, but pretty solid at the back as well.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 12 Nov 2020 11:56

Hendo
Simmops
URZZZZ

I don't know that there are though. You don't see players like Gary Neville, Dennis Irwin, David Beckham or Ryan Giggs anymore. Full backs do pretty much both roles now, take Robertson and TAA for Liverpool, both brilliant going forward, but pretty solid at the back as well.

A lot of them can do both jobs but TAA, Robertson, reece james, Justin James, chillwell etc aren't wingers for a reason. They're much better defenders. They are certainly not failed wingers like Ian wrongly said.

Every single team would play 343 then with 2 wb and 2 wingers

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Nov 2020 12:01

Hendo
Simmops
URZZZZ

My thought process on wingers have always been those that hug the touchline, can take a man on and get a cross into the box

Like I said, statistically using us is an extremely small sample size but even so I’d categorise Little and Convey and Kebe and McAnuff as the aforementioned and I’d argue since then, we’ve had very few “wingers” (McCleary, Beerens, Barrow, can’t think of any more)

Going through some of the teams in the Prem now, Saka, Cash, Schlupp, Aina, the two you mentioned, Albrighton, etc etc all play fullback now

The games evolved, and as you say, you struggle to find your likes of Neville and Beckham any more

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 12 Nov 2020 12:03

Simmops
Hendo
Simmops

A lot of them can do both jobs but TAA, Robertson, reece james, Justin James, chillwell etc aren't wingers for a reason. They're much better defenders. They are certainly not failed wingers like Ian wrongly said.

They might be though, and have switched positions in their youth career when a coach points out they might be better in a different position.

TAA - converted from winger to full back during his time in the Liverpool academy. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trent_Alexander-Arnold

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Nov 2020 12:06

Simmops
Hendo
Simmops

I’d argue strongly that TAA and Robertson (certainly TAA) are stronger going forward than they are at defending

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Nov 2020 12:41

Simmops
Hendo
Simmops

I'm sorry you don't understand.

5693 posts