5548 posts
Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Weekend Football

by Simmops » 12 Nov 2020 12:46

Snowflake Royal
Simmops
Hendo
I don't know that there are though. You don't see players like Gary Neville, Dennis Irwin, David Beckham or Ryan Giggs anymore. Full backs do pretty much both roles now, take Robertson and TAA for Liverpool, both brilliant going forward, but pretty solid at the back as well.

A lot of them can do both jobs but TAA, Robertson, reece james, Justin James, chillwell etc aren't wingers for a reason. They're much better defenders. They are certainly not failed wingers like Ian wrongly said.

Every single team would play 343 then with 2 wb and 2 wingers

I'm sorry you don't understand.

You said all rb and lb are failed wingers. I said that isn't true.

What else is there not to understand apart from that awful opinion?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 12 Nov 2020 13:39

Agree with the essence of DD's point here, that the likes of TAA are defenders with very good attacking attributes, rather than wide players who were taught to defend. TAA played right-back through the Liverpool youth sides.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 12 Nov 2020 14:18

Sanguine Agree with the essence of DD's point here, that the likes of TAA are defenders with very good attacking attributes, rather than wide players who were taught to defend. TAA played right-back through the Liverpool youth sides.

Yep that's my point. Ian said the opposite in that they weren't good enough on the wing so just learnt how to defend.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Nov 2020 17:10

Ian is pretty much spot on.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 12 Nov 2020 20:00

We all know he isn't though. But it's clear that you are the least knowledgeable person about football on this place and you can't actually play so should have no opinion.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 13 Nov 2020 03:53

Hendo
Simmops
URZZZZ
Obvious hyperbole for effect but the point isn’t a million miles off

You don’t see many “traditional wingers” in a formation anymore, so the next best thing is to put them at FB (or wing back)

You don’t have to go far to look either, Obita converted from a LM to a LB, McCleary did stints at RB/RWB and that’s just using us an example

:lol:

There are so many traditional wingers and full backs in football these days.

I don't know that there are though. You don't see players like Gary Neville, Dennis Irwin, David Beckham or Ryan Giggs anymore. Full backs do pretty much both roles now, take Robertson and TAA for Liverpool, both brilliant going forward, but pretty solid at the back as well.

:?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 13 Nov 2020 11:27

Old Man Andrews Ian is pretty much spot on.

Goes without saying.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 13 Nov 2020 11:30

Pepe the Horseman
Old Man Andrews Ian is pretty much spot on.

Goes without saying.

It's on my spreadsheet.

Ian - pretty much spot on - Expert - Jack of all trades

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Nov 2020 13:33

The big one today at 2pm! San Marino v Gibraltar live on Sky!

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 22 Nov 2020 07:09

Absolute shamboLOLic scenes from the MLS. This is why they shouldn't be allowed to play football.

A goalkeeper getting sent off in a shootout for taking a step too far.

https://youtu.be/N9LlUzZ4PlQ

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 22 Nov 2020 11:40

Simmops Absolute shamboLOLic scenes from the MLS. This is why they shouldn't be allowed to play football.

What a joke. When has coming off your line been a yellow? And the save from Nani's pen was identical to the one ya man got sent off for.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 22 Nov 2020 11:48

Pepe the Horseman
Simmops Absolute shamboLOLic scenes from the MLS. This is why they shouldn't be allowed to play football.

What a joke. When has coming off your line been a yellow? And the save from Nani's pen was identical to the one ya man got sent off for.

The best bit is them thinking they won at 5-5 :lol:

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 22 Nov 2020 11:52

Simmops
Pepe the Horseman

The best bit is them thinking they won at 5-5 :lol:

And trying to bring their sub keeper when you can't make a sub during a penalty shootout, and they'd already used all their subs anyway. Shambles from start to finish.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Nov 2020 11:49

With all the talk of England’s goalkeepers struggling at the moment, I wonder if McCarthy has a chance

Effectively, Southgate said that Pickford isn’t performing like he should be doing, but there’s no one really challenging him at the moment with Henderson on the bench each week and Pope (although by all reports, played well yesterday), struggling so far this season

On the other hand, there’s McCarthy who’s having a good season (another top class performance yesterday) for a team who’s started very well. Surely can’t be overlooked for too much longer if he keeps it up

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Nov 2020 11:54

URZZZZ With all the talk of England’s goalkeepers struggling at the moment, I wonder if McCarthy has a chance

Effectively, Southgate said that Pickford isn’t performing like he should be doing, but there’s no one really challenging him at the moment with Henderson on the bench each week and Pope (although by all reports, played well yesterday), struggling so far this season

On the other hand, there’s McCarthy who’s having a good season (another top class performance yesterday) for a team who’s started very well. Surely can’t be overlooked for too much longer if he keeps it up

Always thought keepers should be picked 60% on form and 40% on raw ability. Pickford hasn't been in form for ages.

I think it is a shame Dean Henderson is at United not playing games, he would be my pick based on ability. I think if he was out on loan playing each week he would have dislodged Pickford by now.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Nov 2020 12:00

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ With all the talk of England’s goalkeepers struggling at the moment, I wonder if McCarthy has a chance

Always thought keepers should be picked 60% on form and 40% on raw ability. Pickford hasn't been in form for ages.

I think it is a shame Dean Henderson is at United not playing games, he would be my pick based on ability. I think if he was out on loan playing each week he would have dislodged Pickford by now.

Yeah, sort of agree, you can see how the regression of Sheffield this season compared to last season without him too

Think, as a rule of thumb, most goalies peak in their mid 20s to around the early 30s, and so it wouldn’t surprise me if Henderson dislodges De Gea in the near future and then goes on to become a regular England international

Still, if he’s not chosen in the next couple of years, he might take the Martinez approach and move on to better how career

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 Dec 2020 19:06

Anyone see Leicester’s second goal. Surely if you’re Egan, you take him out and take the red card? Point there would have been a massive morale boost, strange to let him just run through

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Dec 2020 20:21

URZZZZ Anyone see Leicester’s second goal. Surely if you’re Egan, you take him out and take the red card? Point there would have been a massive morale boost, strange to let him just run through

Yeah thought this at the time. You take one for the team and get a one match ban, simple decision to make.

Sheffield United are doomed.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 Dec 2020 20:38

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ Anyone see Leicester’s second goal. Surely if you’re Egan, you take him out and take the red card? Point there would have been a massive morale boost, strange to let him just run through

Yeah thought this at the time. You take one for the team and get a one match ban, simple decision to make.

Thought they’d struggle but not by this much

Seems like they’re badly missing O’Connell and Henderson, and looks like Norwood and Fleck are struggling badly so far this season

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Dec 2020 20:39

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews

Thought they’d struggle but not by this much

Seems like they’re badly missing O’Connell and Henderson, and looks like Norwood and Fleck are struggling badly so far this season

They are reminding me a bit of Reading in our second Premier League season.

5548 posts