SpuROFLs

884 posts
South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: SpuROFLs

by South Coast Royal » 07 Dec 2020 15:35

Listening to the commentary yesterday there was only one team playing and the manager was a genius for playing a 8-2 system.
The idea that Spurs are so much better under Mourinho is possibly stretching a point-didn't they reach a European Cup Final and finish second under Poch?

The key of course is that they came 2nd whereas with a winner as a manager they might end up 1st but that defence (the back 4 of that 8-man defence) has quite a few individual weaknesses.

A long way to go this season but I see it as Liverpool and Man City fighting out the top spot again with possibly Chelsea 3rd and Spurs 4th.

A tester coming up shortly when Spurs take on The Champions-that game may tell us whether Spurs are serious contenders.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Dec 2020 16:44

South Coast Royal Listening to the commentary yesterday there was only one team playing and the manager was a genius for playing a 8-2 system.
The idea that Spurs are so much better under Mourinho is possibly stretching a point-didn't they reach a European Cup Final and finish second under Poch?

The key of course is that they came 2nd whereas with a winner as a manager they might end up 1st but that defence (the back 4 of that 8-man defence) has quite a few individual weaknesses.

A long way to go this season but I see it as Liverpool and Man City fighting out the top spot again with possibly Chelsea 3rd and Spurs 4th.

A tester coming up shortly when Spurs take on The Champions-that game may tell us whether Spurs are serious contenders.

Wouldn’t you argue Spurs have to be more pragmatic though in order to win trophies given that they won absolutely nothing in 6 years under the “genius” Pochettino

Especially considering, as you say, their defence is extremely weak containing the likes of Aurier, Dier, Sanchez and Davies

This isn’t aimed at you but I do find the shifting of goalposts from some amusing. “Mourinho is a busted flush, won’t do anything at Spurs” - now changed to “they might be winning but the style of play is awful!”

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 07 Dec 2020 17:09

URZZZZ
South Coast Royal Listening to the commentary yesterday there was only one team playing and the manager was a genius for playing a 8-2 system.

Wouldn’t you argue Spurs have to be more pragmatic though in order to win trophies given that they won absolutely nothing in 6 years under the “genius” Pochettino

Especially considering, as you say, their defence is extremely weak containing the likes of Aurier, Dier, Sanchez and Davies

This isn’t aimed at you but I do find the shifting of goalposts from some amusing. “Mourinho is a busted flush, won’t do anything at Spurs” - now changed to “they might be winning but the style of play is awful!”

It will be interesting at the end of the season to see if Mourinho's approach has done any better than Poch's approach.
I have never commented much one way or another about Mourinho-all I know is that in his times at other clubs defence first has been his approach and pundits here have recently been suggesting that you don't have to be a great manager coach to set up a side to contain and hit on the break.

At the moment the Liverpool and City approaches are different from Spurs in that although both are good at counter-attacking they are also capable of playing a passing game in attack and biding their time to create good chances.

This is the reason why I think they will continue to be the main contenders for the title-they just IMHO have a bit more about then than the rest, including Spurs..

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 07 Dec 2020 17:12

I think Jose gets some unneeded stick with regards to his defensive approach. He certainly has had teams like that, but his first 2 years at Chelsea they scored 72 goals in each of those campaigns, which was the second (in 04/05) and joint best (05/06) goals scored record. I think some people forget that sometimes.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Dec 2020 17:17

Hendo I think Jose gets some unneeded stick with regards to his defensive approach. He certainly has had teams like that, but his first 2 years at Chelsea they scored 72 goals in each of those campaigns, which was the second (in 04/05) and joint best (05/06) goals scored record. I think some people forget that sometimes.

Well quite. Second top scorers IIRC including scoring at Southampton, 6 at Old Trafford etc etc

OK, he’s conservative against the big teams (not United then :wink: ) but it’s working and given Spurs’ mediocre (at best) record against the top six (especially away from home) before this season, I’m sure every Spurs fan would perhaps take a season where the occasional game involves them playing a bit more defensive

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 07 Dec 2020 22:33

Couldn't give a shit how Mourinho's teams play, I think he gets quite warranted stick for being an utter pcunt of a human being.

I may have mentioned this before.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 08 Dec 2020 10:46

From Despair To Where? Couldn't give a shit how Mourinho's teams play, I think he gets quite warranted stick for being an utter pcunt of a human being.

he is a winner, cannot fault that, I would love to have him at Reading, he gets results.

If spurs win the league it would genuingly be a heck of a story

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 08 Dec 2020 10:57

If he came to Reading, I would not set foot in the ground until he fcuked off. He's an unpleasant, lying, devisive uberpcunt.

He's still following his usual pattern. Whatever happens this season, it will all go to shit next season because it always does for him.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Dec 2020 11:20

From Despair To Where? If he came to Reading, I would not set foot in the ground until he fcuked off. He's an unpleasant, lying, devisive uberpcunt.

He's still following his usual pattern. Whatever happens this season, it will all go to shit next season because it always does for him.

If he wins the league this season and it goes to shit the next you really think the Spurs supporters will care? Nope.

He is a great manager and one of the best ever, you have some sort of weird issue with him that stops you seeing that. Bizarre behaviour.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 08 Dec 2020 12:29

Show me where I've made any judgement of his managerial ability.

Its the man I dislike because he has a long track record of being a dreadful person. The man has been a source of considerable toxicity at every club he's managed.

I have been utterly constant in my opinion of him for a very long time as a quite a few others on here. Try reading and more importantly, understanding what I've actually said before commenting next time.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Dec 2020 12:47

From Despair To Where? Show me where I've made any judgement of his managerial ability.

Its the man I dislike because he has a long track record of being a dreadful person. The man has been a source of considerable toxicity at every club he's managed.

I have been utterly constant in my opinion of him for a very long time as a quite a few others on here. Try reading and more importantly, understanding what I've actually said before commenting next time.

Sorry, may have interpreted it as you thought he was a crap manager.

He builds an army that will defend him at all costs and then he turns against them, thats his tactic everywhere he goes and whilst questionable, it normally gets results. I would argue he was successful at United despite not winning the league, the club are a bit of a basketcase and he did well to get that squad to 2nd place in the league.
The guy is probably the most successful manager of the modern era and isn't shy in letting people know that. I get people disliking him but I'm not sure I've seen anyone talk about him with the vitriol you do.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Dec 2020 13:07

From Despair To Where? Couldn't give a shit how Mourinho's teams play, I think he gets quite warranted stick for being an utter pcunt of a human being.

Fair enough, I think he’s mellowed a bit recently but whether that’s more “mind games” is up to interpretation

My comments were more aimed at those who claimed “he was finished” (and there are people that said that)

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 08 Dec 2020 13:26

Old Man Andrews
From Despair To Where? Show me where I've made any judgement of his managerial ability.

Sorry, may have interpreted it as you thought he was a crap manager.

He builds an army that will defend him at all costs and then he turns against them, thats his tactic everywhere he goes and whilst questionable, it normally gets results. I would argue he was successful at United despite not winning the league, the club are a bit of a basketcase and he did well to get that squad to 2nd place in the league.
The guy is probably the most successful manager of the modern era and isn't shy in letting people know that. I get people disliking him but I'm not sure I've seen anyone talk about him with the vitriol you do.

There's a few on here who have expressed the same as me.

For me, It started with the Hunt/Cech incident where the Chelsea club doctor was managing the whole incident yet he blamed Reading and Berkshire Ambulance service and made quite imflamatory comments to beyond the point of making shit up. He was hated at Inter and Real because he played stultifyingly negative football and thought he was bigger than the club, he threw everybody under the bus the second time around at Chelsea rather than accept any responsibility and did pretty much the same at United, all while fostering a negative atmosphere in the dressing room. First to accept the praise, last to accept any responsibility when things aren't right. Its never his fault. He's like a Martin Allen for rich clubs. Send him in, shake things up but hope he doesn't stick around too long.

This is pretty much my favourite Mourinho clip.

https://youtu.be/_p7byOc-Siw

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 08 Dec 2020 15:30

He did kind of used to be fun though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALzaktL8c28

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 08 Dec 2020 15:48

I fcuking hate those manager cam shots. I blame Keegan for hiding after Collymore made it 4-3.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 08 Dec 2020 16:50

I've come to like Mourinho on balance. Must admit that his comment that getting that United team to 2nd place was his biggest achievement, which seemed stupid and arrogant at the time, has been proven pretty much spot on. He's a whinger and a whiner and he can set his sides up to play boring football, but his record speaks for itself.

I'd really like to see Spurs win something - they are a pretty inoffensive club with a history of exciting players in Ardiles, Waddle, Gascoigne, Hoddle, Klinsmann etc. And much like Shearer ultimately banged in a billion goals for one trophy, I'd hate to see Kane end his career with little to show for it.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 08 Dec 2020 19:03

I stopped reading as soon as I saw "I'd really like to see Spurs win something"
Nearly threw up I tell ya!
Horrible manager (see previous posts)
Horrible cocky fans (Who wail in slow motion to the Saints song :shock: )

Also. How are we going to take the piss if they win anything?

Its a Very big Noooooooo from me!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Dec 2020 19:14

From Despair To Where? If he came to Reading, I would not set foot in the ground until he fcuked off. He's an unpleasant, lying, devisive uberpcunt.

+1.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Dec 2020 19:16

Sanguine I've come to like Mourinho on balance. Must admit that his comment that getting that United team to 2nd place was his biggest achievement, which seemed stupid and arrogant at the time, has been proven pretty much spot on. He's a whinger and a whiner and he can set his sides up to play boring football, but his record speaks for itself.

I'd really like to see Spurs win something - they are a pretty inoffensive club with a history of exciting players in Ardiles, Waddle, Gascoigne, Hoddle, Klinsmann etc. And much like Shearer ultimately banged in a billion goals for one trophy, I'd hate to see Kane end his career with little to show for it.

I'd love to see Spurs win something, whenn that pcunt is gone and not a second before

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Dec 2020 19:54

Snowflake Royal

+1.

No shock that Ian hates a winner. Pure jealousy.

884 posts