SpuROFLs

884 posts
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: SpuROFLs

by Hendo » 04 Feb 2021 21:55

Aurier was dreadful when he was at PSG, tbf and always had a shocking performance in him.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Feb 2021 22:41

Simmops
URZZZZ
Simmops Not just him

Alli, Bale, Aurier etc

All players heavily in the decline before Jose came in

This is effectively the same squad of players who didn’t win an away game in the league for 11 months under Pochettino. They’re simply not good enough

Bale maybe but Alli and Aurier are certainly not heavily in decline

He has a habit of doing this at every club he's been at

I suppose you’re right with Aurier, along with Dier, not sure he can get much worse

Alli was a huge talent in 2016 but has done nothing for a good while now. The same Spurs fans calling for him back are no doubt the same ones who were criticising him week on week

It’s a squad that needs a major transformation. I don’t think Jose is the man for that, but what he can provide, IMO, is a trophy, which at least provides a stronger mentality for future teams

But at the moment, if you’re lining up with the likes of Dier, Aurier, Davies, an ageing Lloris and Alderweireld, Sissoko, Vinicius etc - you’re not going to win games

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Feb 2021 22:43

Hendo Aurier was dreadful when he was at PSG, tbf and always had a shocking performance in him.

Too rash, too many mistakes in him

It’s a shame as he does have some positive aspects to his game, delicious cross in for Vinicius late on for example

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 05 Feb 2021 08:18

Loads of ammunition for the people that say Spurs are a two man team, lose one of them and they are very ordinary.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 05 Feb 2021 10:08

URZZZZ
Simmops
Franchise FC
I think it's spelt Dire

Dia-bolical

Theres something about Mourinho where he seems to turn some players just uttter shite

Ummmmm

Dier has been dreadful for about four years now

How many times have we pointed it out?
I expect Southgate will still pick him and the really moderate Harry Winks.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 05 Feb 2021 10:14

South Coast Royal
URZZZZ
Simmops
Dia-bolical

Theres something about Mourinho where he seems to turn some players just uttter shite

Ummmmm

Dier has been dreadful for about four years now

How many times have we pointed it out?
I expect Southgate will still pick him and the really moderate Harry Winks.

And mount. Probably the worst player to pull on the 3 lions

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 05 Feb 2021 19:05

Maureen is well past his sell by date. Playing a defensive game at home is never going to get you anywhere. I suspect if he carries on with dull performances his days are numbered.
Still I suppose its nothing more than the arrogant Spurs fans deserve

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 05 Feb 2021 20:28

Interesting point made on the BBC website that Spurs are currently on an identical run of form to the one that got Poch sacked. Whilst I think he took them as far as he could, they've taken a huge step backwards since.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 05 Feb 2021 23:10

I would be interested to know what the Spurs fans are saying but I really can’t be bothered to find their forum / Twitter feeds. (And no, I’m not expecting anyone else to do it for me!)

If 60,000 had watched that in the flesh last night I suspect the boos would have been fairly noticeable. Has Mourinho been booed before? Not sure his ego would handle that too well.

I suppose he is still not bad at cups, but he is a dinosaur completely incapable of learning how to do the job he is paid extraordinary amounts of money by mug clubs to do I.e. play exciting football and win big leagues in the modern football world.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 Feb 2021 00:49

From Despair To Where? Interesting point made on the BBC website that Spurs are currently on an identical run of form to the one that got Poch sacked. Whilst I think he took them as far as he could, they've taken a huge step backwards since.

Huge step backwards since when?

When he was sacked? They were 12th - and had won 0 away league games in 11 months (also losing 7-2 to Bayern and getting knocked out the LC by Colchester)

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 Feb 2021 01:07

Royal Rother I would be interested to know what the Spurs fans are saying but I really can’t be bothered to find their forum / Twitter feeds. (And no, I’m not expecting anyone else to do it for me!)

If 60,000 had watched that in the flesh last night I suspect the boos would have been fairly noticeable. Has Mourinho been booed before? Not sure his ego would handle that too well.

I suppose he is still not bad at cups, but he is a dinosaur completely incapable of learning how to do the job he is paid extraordinary amounts of money by mug clubs to do I.e. play exciting football and win big leagues in the modern football world.

He's not paid to get his team to play exciting football! Levy knew the score before he appointed Mourinho. He's been successful at both Prem teams so far, he's won trophies at both clubs and perhaps that is the next step for Spurs. They're on a poor run of form in the Prem but they're competing in four competitions - which isn't bad going

I don't think Spurs + Mourinho are a good match for each other as Mourinho does base his gameplan on a solid back four, and Spurs' defence is woeful, but IMO it'll all be worth it in the long run if they can win a trophy this season and "break their duck". After all, Pochettino won 0 trophies in 5 1/2 years there with a much better squad than this one!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 06 Feb 2021 07:02

Of course he is paid to produce exciting football.

In the long term, boring unambitious football harms the brand and that is the most important thing to the value of a football club, especially one like Spurs where the fans demand it.

Mourinho is harming the brand and a cup here and there would be welcome but not enough to repair the long term damage.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Feb 2021 07:44

Royal Rother Of course he is paid to produce exciting football.

In the long term, boring unambitious football harms the brand and that is the most important thing to the value of a football club, especially one like Spurs where the fans demand it.

Mourinho is harming the brand and a cup here and there would be welcome but not enough to repair the long term damage.

Mourinho is absolutely not paid for exciting football, he is paid to bring in a trophy or two. As soon as that is done, and the club has the winning mentality, they get rid and look to a more expansive coach.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 06 Feb 2021 07:52

URZZZZ
From Despair To Where? Interesting point made on the BBC website that Spurs are currently on an identical run of form to the one that got Poch sacked. Whilst I think he took them as far as he could, they've taken a huge step backwards since.

When he was sacked? They were 12th - and had won 0 away league games in 11 months (also losing 7-2 to Bayern and getting knocked out the LC by Colchester)

Poch was still liked when he was sacked because of the style of football. Mention him now and they still go all misty eyed. The Spurs fans I know were sad to see him go. All I hear from them now is the Mourinho doesn't play football "The Spurs Way". For all his defensive nous, Mourinho has had 3 windows and had done fcuk all to fix their marshmallow defence.

Then again, I'm biased against the man. He's the Donald Trump of football management.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 06 Feb 2021 08:47

What on earth is 'the spurs way'? I always thought it was west ham who (incorrectly) claimed there was something so special about themselves that they used that phrase.

'The (insert club name here) way' is nothing but fans trying to claim their club is better than someone else's.

Cant think of any club in england that could claim something about themselves to use that phrase. Maybe Forest Green with their offfield approach to things.

A few european clubs could claim it - Ajax being the most obvious one. 1 or 2 in Portugal (Porto mainly) for their recruitment for profit model. Maybe Shakhtar for their Brazilian approach, could be too recent though as they only began that in 2005

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 06 Feb 2021 09:22

This is 4 years old but makes a decent fist of explaining "The Spurs Way",

Push and, run, is basically the same as the old Liverpool pass and move, quick one touch football.

https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/news/how-mauricio-pochettino-made-the-12908086.amp

Basically Spurs fans want it all but they would seem to want to take not winning but playing good football over winning whilst playing dull football.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 Feb 2021 10:06

From Despair To Where?
URZZZZ

Poch was still liked when he was sacked because of the style of football. Mention him now and they still go all misty eyed. The Spurs fans I know were sad to see him go. All I hear from them now is the Mourinho doesn't play football "The Spurs Way". For all his defensive nous, Mourinho has had 3 windows and had done fcuk all to fix their marshmallow defence.

Then again, I'm biased against the man. He's the Donald Trump of football management.

I think half the problem is Mourinho has become so desperate to try and show he can still be a success in English football when the game is now in a different shape to when he was successful, and he doesn’t know how to accept that. Instead of perhaps bowing out with some dignity, he’s making himself look a bit of a fool at the moment

I’d say this time in two years, he won’t be at Spurs anymore and the Spurs fans certainly won’t be sad to see the back of him, but it could still be classed as a successful and important appointment to an extent if they do manage to win something, even if it’s only the League Cup or Europe League

I do think he’s somewhat mellowed a bit - but is still prone to pointless mind games - found his comments about “winning trophies at Chelsea is easy” just before the game to be rather strange. Mind you, seems like Klopp is beginning to mimic him a bit now
Last edited by URZZZZ on 06 Feb 2021 10:09, edited 1 time in total.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 Feb 2021 10:08

Stranded
Royal Rother Of course he is paid to produce exciting football.

Mourinho is absolutely not paid for exciting football, he is paid to bring in a trophy or two. As soon as that is done, and the club has the winning mentality, they get rid and look to a more expansive coach.

What he said

If Levy wanted “exciting football”, they wouldn’t have appointed Mourinho. It’s very unlikely he’s going to change his ways and methods of playing football

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Feb 2021 23:17

You’ve probably got to say Spurs and Mourinho are stuck in a hole. They either play defensive to protect their weak defence and end up limping out of games 1-0 or they open up and concede a shed load

Still, those Spurs fans who wanted exciting football (“just like under Poch”) will surely be pleased with 4 goals away from home at a team above them in the league. Unless they decide to shift the goalposts again?

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 11 Feb 2021 10:53

Haven't seen the old thing about "Spurs always win the FA Cup in years ending in "1" trotted out lately.
They surely won't be doing so now.

884 posts